Streetlight Manifesto - The Hands That Thieve

• 2 weeks later...

So based on the lyrics and the title of the album, this is going to be a lot of songs about victory bashing? Seems like every album kinda has a loose theme (EGN has a lot of songs along the lines of robbery and stuff, SITB is a lot about life/afterlife). That's what I'm gathering so far.

So based on the lyrics and the title of the album, this is going to be a lot of songs about victory bashing? Seems like every album kinda has a loose theme (EGN has a lot of songs along the lines of robbery and stuff, SITB is a lot about life/afterlife). That's what I'm gathering so far.

Its looking that way

I like Streetlight Lullabies more. I really love how different the arrangements and approach to each song are. I love the split with Dan P. too though. I can see them doing a vinyl release of the TK/ DP split when they're off Victory and they have more money coming into the label to do more stuff with the releases. I wish Dan Potthast would play more often. He should be on the damn Revival Tour!

I do love Streetlight Lullabies too, but every time I listen to it I find all the songs blending together. I hope I don't get the same feeling from the Toh Kay version of the new album. I'll dig it regardless. And Tomas' cover of Hooray For Me on the 7" is fantastic too, I probably like it more than the original.

I wish Thomas would just focus exclusively on Streetlight and cut the acoustic stuff out. I read an interview a while back where he said something along the lines of "I don't like (or maybe it was listen to) ska music anymore". It's not like it destroyed the music for me or anything but I want to hear "I think this is the best music I have ever been a part of" and know that the guy singing it to me on stage is 100% into it. There's just too many distractions with this band that take away from the core (which is the best ska music on earth).

I like Streetlight Lullabies more. I really love how different the arrangements and approach to each song are. I love the split with Dan P. too though. I can see them doing a vinyl release of the TK/ DP split when they're off Victory and they have more money coming into the label to do more stuff with the releases. I wish Dan Potthast would play more often. He should be on the damn Revival Tour!

I just saw him like a week ago, he was on the Pilfers / Reel Big Fish tour which I think just finished...

Brian Fallon did it right -- When he put some solo stuff on myspace (blues mary, tin pan alley, etc..) and it started to be a distraction to Gaslight he pulled them down and said something like "thanks everyone for listening. Right now, I am 100% into the band and making really great rock music. Maybe I will do some more solo stuff down the road" or something like that.

I just want Streetlight to rip out an album every year or so, tour a lot, and Thomas to be 100% into it.

I do love Streetlight Lullabies too, but every time I listen to it I find all the songs blending together. I hope I don't get the same feeling from the Toh Kay version of the new album. I'll dig it regardless. And Tomas' cover of Hooray For Me on the 7" is fantastic too, I probably like it more than the original.

I love that cover.

Well, I think part of what he meant there is that they really don't consider themselves a ska band. It's definitely not that he isn't proud of the music SM makes. In other interviews he says signing the band to Victory is the biggest regret of his life. He's trying to make a distinction between the band and something like RBF or Less Than Jake's music. The solo music is in part a business venture to make money for himself and Pentimento Music Co./ The Risc Store. Its also a good outlet for Tomas to do some different types of things. All the SM songs start out the way Lullabies sounds and then get transposed over. That's just his creative process. It takes the band a long time to release records because he is naturally slow as an artist. He has really varied interests too so that comes through in Streetlight's sound and image. They also can only record and so forth when they have enough material and when they have enough money from touring. They only make capital from touring which is why they are constantly on the road. If they recorded and album every year their sound and creativity would suffer immensely.Tomas would say it would feel forced and probably break the band up. Unfortunately that's just sort of the way he operates. 

I'm not mad at him for doing acoustic stuff. I just would like 100% focus on the band moving forward. Regardless of the songs starting out as acoustic, I just want ska tunes from a ska band. It's just distracting from the main band and kinda sends the wrong message to the fans, kinda like "I really like these songs better acoustically but we are a ska band and people expect ska songs, so I'm just gonna release both".

That may not be the way he intends it but it's the way I interpret it.

And I don't really buy that Thomas needs forever to write songs. If he takes longer than others, every two years is fine. But if your job title is "musician" you should be able to meet that standard. A thousand other talented musicians have done it before him. I don't blame him for not recording enough when he hated his label, as long as he puts out somewhat consistent material going forwards. Too talented not to.

I feel like he is to much of an artist to be a musician.  I have like everything he has released (besides the KN re-release) but he takes like 10 years to do it.  Seeing as he went to SCAD I wouldn't be surprised if he is hypocritical of his work to the point that it is not viable for him to make any kind of living off what he does.

Seeing as he went to SCAD I wouldn't be surprised if he is hypocritical of his work to the point that it is not viable for him to make any kind of living off what he does.

That pretty much describes it. 

I mean technically Streetlight has been around 10-11 years. So they release an album of original material every three years. That isn't even that bad. Plus with Keasbey and 99 SOR, that's a release of some sort about every two years.