PO: Beatles Box Set

yancey47

amazon now has it for cheaper..

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Stereo-Vinyl-Box/dp/B0041KVW2K/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_1

well... in canada its 349.99 but you still get free shipping

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0041KVW2K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

i dont understand why we get the better deal for once but i wont complain

It says it's limited to 50,000 copies worldwide. I'll wait a year until the price drops.

I was talking to a friend who bought the CD box set when it came out and it was about $220 but now you can find it for $100.

Per their website, they're releasing each album individually. The box set is limited to 50K worldwide.

We need another four people to post that there are going to be 50,000 sets of these available and then this will be really redundant.

Bleh, they know that Beatles fans and collectors really want the Mono recordings and its not like they dont already have the mono versions just sitting around waiting to be pressed the moment they say go. This is clearly a cash grab try to and get obsessive types to buy this and then to jump all over the Mono once they inevitably release that as well. Shame on them, but I doubt anyone is shocked by this

I'm upset that there are no hard details on a mono reissue. It's clearly to get everyone to double buy, similar to the way the mono CDs followed the stereo by a few months with no indication they would be coming at all at first.

the mono reissue comes out in 2013. i'm sure these took a crazy long time to put together. it'll probably look like the mono cd boxset (white). i think i'll wait until then, but i'll pick up the white album and abbey road in stereo.

also, for beatles, 50,000 copies is not a lot.

We need another four people to post that there are going to be 50,000 sets of these available and then this will be really redundant.

We also need ANOTHER sarcastic prick like you, because we're really running low on douchebags who have nothing better to do than pick apart posts. Get a life.

Bleh, they know that Beatles fans and collectors really want the Mono recordings and its not like they dont already have the mono versions just sitting around waiting to be pressed the moment they say go. This is clearly a cash grab try to and get obsessive types to buy this and then to jump all over the Mono once they inevitably release that as well. Shame on them, but I doubt anyone is shocked by this

the people in the know want the mono editions, but the general public want the stereo editions cause they're misinformed. the stereo cd sets sold WAY more than the mono sets, even though they're superior.

We also need ANOTHER sarcastic prick like you, because we're really running low on douchebags who have nothing better to do than pick apart posts. Get a life.

come on, he did have a point. unnecessary but still not shocking enough to be worth a taking out the Hateorade

anyway congrats on your 24th post.

I read to that 3 or 4 stereo albums are from an 1986 mix but why might the Mono mixes be better? Is it because that's how it was mixed at first? If that's so, remixing it in stereo might improve some songs doesn't it?

there's a lot written on the subject. basically, the band recorded the records in mono and worked on/approved the mono mixes. they are they way they are meant to be heard. In the US, people were buying stereo speakers so the label/engineer went ahead and remixed them in stereo for the US market and the rich people that had stereo systems. because of the limited recording tracks available, basically, you have vocals in the center and drums on one side and guitars in the other, and it's kind of an afterthought. if you listen to some of the earlier records (the new cd remasters) and compare the mono to stereo, i feel like the mono has a much warmer, fuller sound and the stereo albums feel more dense. now, abbey road, yellow submarine, and let it be (as well as some later singles) were actually recorded in stereo so they wouldn't be included. an example of how different they can be though: the infamous moment toward the end of helter skelter where the song fades out and comes back was a mistake by the engineer doing the stereo mix. on the new mono reissues, it's not present and the song keeps on going, like it was meant to. they've kept the fade out on the stereo mixes because it is so well known, and thought to be part of the song now. few people had the white album in mono, so listening to the cd reissues that came out was an eye opening experience. i heard things i've never heard before.

though i will say mono isn't always better, especially with some of the later albums.

Please Please Me: Mono

With The Beatles: Mono

A Hard Day's Night: Kind of a toss up, the stereo mix is much improved, though I'd still go with mono.

Beatles For Sale: Also a toss up.

Help: mono is still definitive but a bit muddier. Never too impressed with either mix. too muddy vs. too sharp and bad panning

Rubber Soul: Mono, no question

Revolver: Mono, other than Tomorrow never knows is awesome in stereo, everything else sounds so much fuller in mono

Sgt. Pepper: Like revolver, it sounds much better and tighter in mono, though day in the life sounds great in stereo.

Magical Mystery Tour: Stereo

White Album: Stereo is the definitive well known version, but both have enough differences that i'll need to own both versions. I already have the 90's stereo reissue, and can't wait to own the mono for things like the corrected Helter Skelter mentioned in my last post

Abbey Road: Never mixed in mono, the stereo version is probably the best sounding Beatles record ever. Can't wait to hear the remastered vinyl.

Let It Be: also not in mono, this album is a complete mess. the original LP sounds like garbage, and there's such a huge difference between the old cds and the newer remaster. It sounds a lot better, but i prefer the "let it be naked" record that came out in the 90's. if you can find a copy of this on vinyl, it's the way to go. much truer to their original vision for the record. it'd be really nice if one of the sets included the "naked" mix as it hasn't been reissued since it originally came out.

Past Masters: The mono songs sound so good, but alas, it's missing a bunch that are only on the stereo set.

the stereo albums will be available separately. the mono will most likely only be available in a boxset. i plan on picking up white album, abbey road, (maybe) let it be and holding out for the mono box set. though if someone got me the stereo boxset for christmas, i wouldn't complain.