Electric razor recommendations and shaving discussion

tittus

If you're going to buy a straight razor, I wouldn't suggest getting the one with replaceable blades. You're going to end up either spending $200-$300 for a good setup (razor, strop, honing supplies, etc.) or end up looking like the Joker from The Dark Knight.

I can't argue this because I have never used a $200 straight razor but what is wrong with disposable straight-blades exactly? They are chemically sharpened (and sharper than anyone could get with a fixed blade and sharpener). I was under the impression that it didn't work for me because I had softer skin, am kind of impatient with shaving, and wasn't getting the right angle on my cuts. Not sure if spending an extra $250 would have helped (but enlighten me if it would have).

Not electric razor related, but I was looking for a cheap alternative to expensive Gillette cartridges and started investigating the Dollar Shave Club. Thanks to Lifehacker, I was able to find their supplier and realized it was even more cheaper to buy from them directly. I got a years worth of blades for $7. The razors are good enough, except I went with the 3-blade cartridges and got a couple knicks at first until I got the hang of them. I'll shed some blood to save a couple bones.

www.dorcousa.com

I think I'm going to try the one I originally posted. I keep finding myself coming back to it and reading further, It does look like it includes a precision trimmer.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-1150X-46-SensoTouch-Frustration/dp/B006W2SYF8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top#productPromotions

We'll see what kind of deal I can get on it. It looks like I can get another $10 off that already with a coupon code. Hoping even more tomorrow.

I think I'm going to try the one I originally posted. I keep finding myself coming back to it and reading further, It does look like it includes a precision trimmer.

http://www.amazon.co...oductPromotions

We'll see what kind of deal I can get on it. It looks like I can get another $10 off that already with a coupon code. Hoping even more tomorrow.

I still haven't found what I consider the perfect razor. Just one that I don't hate. So let us know how it works out.

Not electric razor related, but I was looking for a cheap alternative to expensive Gillette cartridges and started investigating the Dollar Shave Club. Thanks to Lifehacker, I was able to find their supplier and realized it was even more cheaper to buy from them directly. I got a years worth of blades for $7. The razors are good enough, except I went with the 3-blade cartridges and got a couple knicks at first until I got the hang of them. I'll shed some blood to save a couple bones.

www.dorcousa.com

Nice find

When I do shave, I use a Braun electric. One of the fancy self-cleaning kind, though I haven't used the cleaning dock in years. It's not as close a shave as a traditional razor, but it's fast. I can get a nice even clean shave in about five minutes with this bad boy. I've had mine since 2004, I replace the blades every 6-8 months, and it still shaves as good as the day I bought it. As someone else already said, you get what you pay for. I used a Norelco model with the circular blades all through high school and it was garbage compared to my Braun.

Alright. So I contacted Walmarts customer service and they're giving me the run around. I ordered a Braun 7-760 on friday and they shipped me a Braun 3-330. There's a big price difference in the two. They are out of stock online and wont work with me on a store exchange or pick up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for working with them?. This has been a horrible experience, the sales are over now and I'm kind of locked into this one.

• 3 months later...

Tittus (or anyone else), how did this work out for you?

Need to replace my electric razor. Thinking about going with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Series-Pulsonic-Shaver-System/dp/B003YJAZZ4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1364329157&sr=1-1&keywords=electric+razor

I am 90% focused on quality but I don't need to spend money just for the hell of it.

Go for it?

I love the model I got(Braun 7-760). 4 months later and the quality of the shave is just like the first day I used it. Very accurate and I've yet to cut myself. It has a very strong charge to it, which is nice. The docking station/cleaning system works well enough and is a nice bonus. Overall, I'd definitely recommend the 7 series. The 790 you linked is the model above mine -http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Series-7-760cc-Pulsonic-Shaver/dp/B003YJAZZE/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1364336261&sr=1-4&keywords=Braun+Series+7

I'd do a little research between the two and see if the upper model is worth the extra ~$25. I'm not seeing too much of a difference between the two. LCD vs LED on the battery display light. Other than that, they have almost the same description.

I ended up dealing with Walmart for about a month with my order. It worked out in the end but it was definitely the last time I will ever order from them. One of the customer service reps I spoke with flat out told me that if I was to reorder they'd probably just send the lesser model again.

Thanks. Saved me $25. I want the nicest shave I can get but couldn't give a shit about an LCD display.

Gave the straight razor one more try. Was doing pretty good for a while and then cut myself a couple times. Think I'm just not patient enough for it. Probably give it away. Need to just quit trying. It's just nicks, though.

I've been wanting to try using a single-blade safety razor. Heard that they last for a really long time, so you're not constantly buying cartridges, and that way they're also a lot more environmentally friendly. Also, they don't cause the irritation, razor burn, ingrown hairs, etc since they're not using multiple blades to rip the hair out. Of course they're harder to shave with and require multiple passes, but in the end is a more quality shave and better for your skin. 

If you're interested in it, you could check out this article on Art of Manliness: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

Cool, I think you'll enjoy it. They're supposed to have a pretty long life span on them so looking back, I think it was worth the investment. The aggravation I was running into alone justified it for me.

I read that art of manliness article a few months ago. It definitely was a good read for the information.

• 4 months later...

I belong to dollar shave club. They're not the greatest razors in the world, but I find them to do a fine job. It's nice and convenient to have them delivered on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. I'm on the $7 for four sets of blades every other month plan, I'm not sure how good of a deal it is, but they won me over with their marketing and convenience.

Only saw one post from someone wanting to try out safety razors. Does anybody have good experience with these? I'm definitely making the switch sometime, curious how long it took you to adjust and not cut your face? Any recommendations?

I use a safety razor. I have a Merkur 34C HD and usually use Personna Red or Gillette Super Stainless blades. Before that I had a cheapo safety razor that wasn't too good. It doesn't take long to adjust, just don't hack away at your face like you might with a cartridge razor, since the weight of the razor is all you really need.

You can always heat up a towel or wash cloth and apply it to your face after applying a layer of shave cream to really soften the hair. Just make sure your face isn't dried out and soak/run your razor under some hot water before starting. I'd recommend getting a sample pack of razors and just testing a bunch to see which suits you most. Investing in a good brush also makes a big difference. 

I use a safety razor. I have a Merkur 34C HD and usually use Personna Red or Gillette Super Stainless blades. Before that I had a cheapo safety razor that wasn't too good. It doesn't take long to adjust, just don't hack away at your face like you might with a cartridge razor, since the weight of the razor is all you really need.

You can always heat up a towel or wash cloth and apply it to your face after applying a layer of shave cream to really soften the hair. Just make sure your face isn't dried out and soak/run your razor under some hot water before starting. I'd recommend getting a sample pack of razors and just testing a bunch to see which suits you most. Investing in a good brush also makes a big difference.

Pretty spot on. I use the same razor and some Gillette blades. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube. You will suck at first but once you get you technique you will be able to shave just as fast and get a better shave. Making lather with a brush is also better as those aerosol foams dry out your face. Check out badgerandblade.com. They have a good forum to get you started.

I've never been a fan of electric razors.  They really irritate my skin.  Plus I could never seem to get a close shave with the brand I owned.   I have to be clean shaven as I am in the Air Force. 

Currently, I use a Gillette fusion razor and a Van Der Hagen shave set.  http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Mens-Luxury-Shave/dp/B004L4EING  I used to have a lot of problems with skin irritation that have been reduced significantly since I switched to a badger hair shave brush and shave soap.

So, razors are pricey. A few years back someone told me a trick to making them last longer and it absolutely works. Dry the blade thoroughly after each use - leave no water on there. Common sense, I know. This means damp it on a towel then blow on it a bit. I'm getting at least 3x the life out of each razor by doing this. There are people on the internet that claim they can go a year by limiting oxidation - my hair is too thick for that but I have saved a ton of money this way.

I have a quick growth, thick set of facial hair. I also have the condition where the hairs grow inward so they get ingrown a lot. I hate shaving and try to only do it once every 3-4 days if possible but I have thick growth by then. Electrics have never worked on me due to the "S" shape my hair takes on. If I let my face get past 4 days so that some have curved well inward I am a bloody mess on my neck when I do get around to shaving. 

Anyway, sharing my tip to save a few bucks on expensive razors. 

• 2 months later...

So I'm about 10 shaves in via DE. Some of the best shaves I've ever experienced. Shaving has become something I look forward to. I just bought a cheap start up kit from maggardrazors.com. Their M1 razor, Proraso Red tube cream, Vulfix pure badger brush, and I just ordered a huge blade sampler pack from Amazon.

First shave with Shark baldes was ok, no cuts. Second shave with Astra super stainless fucked my face up, I was putting too much pressure. I fucked up on my lower neck big time that day, haha it sucked. But since, I've only used Astras and I've had awesome shaves, just no pressure.

I'd like to upgrage my brush and razor, but I'm in no real hurry. I see people on /r/wickededge and they spend money on shaving like some of us do on records, its crazy.

Anybody that is curious about DE shaving, I highly reccomend it. If nothing else, you'll get a few hole punches on your man card.

get yourself some Israeli Red blades or Feather Blades. I use the Feather (used to use the reds) both are awesome blades but beware the feathers can get super aggressive. I need them though cause my facial hair is thick and coarse as shit.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Feather-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_p_62.html

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red-Personna-Israeli-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_p_273.html

get yourself some Israeli Red blades or Feather Blades. I use the Feather (used to use the reds) both are awesome blades but beware the feathers can get super aggressive. I need them though cause my facial hair is thick and coarse as shit.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Feather-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_p_62.html

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Red-Personna-Israeli-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_p_273.html

I purposley avoided feathers in this sampler pack I bought. I'm saving those for when I have more expeirence. I still have trouble getting around my adams apple and lower neck area. I don't get any burn or cuts, I'm just not going for BBS down there.