Have you ever taken a break from collecting?

cbbrew22

i am thisclose to taking a break. i can't afford anything right now but i just keep spending. it's really hard though, with these reissues and stuff, because i know that if i pay retail price now i won't have to pay a shit ton on ebay later. vicious cycle and shit.

nailed it. Its so difficult to practice restraint, especially when you know you'll be paying more later

Yup, I've "stopped" buying used for probably about a year... due to spending too much. There are certain records that'd I'd break that for at the right price.

When I first started collecting I splurged on used records (most of what I liked at the time was already out of print), and let new pressings go by thinking I'll grab them later. Huge mistake, anything I want I buy right away when it's new the vast majority of the time. If I don't it sells out and I'm paying 4x as much on eBay.

The last few months have been brutal with all of the awesome releases coming out, but looking back at the last 4 months of purchases I've made it's already doubled in price on average.

I actively find myself NOT introducing myself to new bands in order to save money :P

I have lately because I don't want the Drive Thru Records catalog taking up space on my shelves.

It always depends. I'll buy a bunch of stuff one month than nothing for the next three. As long as you don't buy crap you won't listen to for the sake of nostalgia or, dare I say, variant collecting, you won't go overboard with spending.

In the early 90s when I was in college I had to sell 99% of my collection because I was denied financial aid for a couple of semesters. I also had to sell my baseball card collection too. It totally sucks because trying to reacquire a lot of the punk and hardcore records I once owned has been difficult. Especially Revelation Records vinyl. The prices people are selling them for are somewhat insane but usually I cave in because I want to own the record again.

I still buy records all the time but I've cut down on buy every varient except if it's an all-time favorite band of mine.

Never really took a break, but I got realistic about it. I don't need every pressing, but I do like to collect the 7"s.

Did sell a few things I wanted to keep, but money is money. I even stopped collecting DC and Marvel comics to save some cash, although I still buy some indie comics.

I used to collect 12"s, but then I got into Touche Amore... Since then, I just get the rarest/favorite variant.