Problem with Thrice VHEISSU Double Album

I am a relative newbie to vinyl. I purchased Thrice's Vheissu double album from Hot Topic and the first disc will not play correctly. At first, I thought I had the wrong speed setting, but it drags at 33-1/3 and plays too fast at 45. The second disc plays perfectly fine. I have never had this problem before, so I was wondering if this is a manufacturing glitch or something else possibly?

Thanks.

You have to be unbelievably careful if you are going to widen the spindle hole. I wouldn't even touch that if I were you. If you mess up you're record will spin unevenly and the the pitch will be constantly bending in all the notes and you'll wish you were dead while listening to the record.

You have to be unbelievably careful if you are going to widen the spindle hole. I wouldn't even touch that if I were you. If you mess up you're record will spin unevenly and the the pitch will be constantly bending in all the notes and you'll wish you were dead while listening to the record.

So would you recommend that I just return the record then?

There is never any reason to widen the hole on any record. Ever.

And a tight hole isn't going to cause pitch problems - it's the opposite. A loose hole CAUSES pitch problems.

Stranger things have happened but I'm surprised that this was pressed off speed. Verify that your turntable is running at the correct speed with this disc on it.

There is never any reason to widen the hole on any record. Ever.

And a tight hole isn't going to cause pitch problems - it's the opposite. A loose hole CAUSES pitch problems.

Stranger things have happened but I'm surprised that this was pressed off speed. Verify that your turntable is running at the correct speed with this disc on it.

I did verify that my turntable was running at the correct speed. I tried playing the record multiple times, on both sides, and it was definitely not playing at the correct speed. After reading several posts here about using a pencil, I did just that and it helped a little, but it was still off slightly. Then I used a pocket knife and gently twisted it around the opening as instructed by 3arl, and that worked perfectly.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Well it doesn't make any sense but I'm glad it worked for you.

If someone can post some logical explanation as to how this would cause a disc that was playing slow to suddenly play faster and at the correct speed, please do.

Well if the spindle hole is to tight then when you put it on the platter it's tight around the spindle and the force from the motor won't be as much because of the resistance, when the hole is wider and the record really isn't touching the spindle there's no resistance and the motor's force is not impeded.

Well if the spindle whole is to tight then when you put it on the platter it's tight around the spindle and the force from the motor won't be as much because of the resistance, when the whole is wider and the record really isn't touching the spindle there's no resistance and the motor's force is not impeded.

Sounds about right to me.