PO: Josh Ritter - The Beast in Its Tracks

JR_TBIIT_Cover_RGB_600px.jpg

Available March 5, 2013

We've got a handful of pre-order options available including a 7" single of the song Joy To You Baby on hand numbered (/1000) coke bottle clear vinyl. A limited amount are available in our webstore, while the rest can be found in record stores beginning Tuesday December 18, 2012. The B-side features a non-album track - "I Got My Own Way"

The deluxe version of our LP comes with a bonus 7" featuring 3 other non album tracks and is limited to 1000 copies worldwide.

Details, tour dates, album teaser video, and Joy To You Baby stream are all right here: http://www.joshritter.com

I've been working my butt off for months on this pre-order. Josh has been working even longer on the record. Make us proud.

Here's a quick note Josh wrote to introduce you to the record:

Hey everyone,

I have a new album coming out on March 5, 2013. It’s called The Beast in Its Tracks. You can hear a song from it on joshritter.com

I wrote and recorded this record in the 18 months after my marriage had fallen apart. All heartbreak is awful – my broken heart wasn’t unique. But writing these songs was helping me get through the night and I didn’t have the strength to care or question.

It felt like a different record from the start. Far from the grand, sweeping feel of the songs on So Runs the World Away, these new ones felt like rocks in the shoe, hard little nuggets of whatever they were, be it spite, remorse, or happiness. I told all this to Sam Kassirer, my producer and friend. If we recorded these songs, which felt so personal, their starkness needed a corresponding simplicity of production. I hadn’t composed this stuff, I’d scrawled it down, just trying to keep ahead of the heartbreak, and they needed to be recorded like that.

Listening to it now makes me very proud. I can’t wait to share it with all of you.

Love,

Josh

So outside of/besides the 7", is there any difference between the deluxe LP and the regular LP? e.g. 180-gram, different color, more tracks, etc?

2 versions of LP based on the site plus the 7":

"Indie Store Version 7"" on Coke Bottle Clear, featuring "Joy To You Baby" b/w "I've Got My Own Way", hand-numbered out of 1000 copies--$6 + shipping

"Regular LP version" Black Vinyl, no bonus 7", no additional tracks and $17.00 + shipping

"Deluxe LP version" unknown color with bonus Gasoline 7" (with b-side "Cut Free") and 3 additional non-album tracks, also limited to 1000 copies, but not hand-numbered ($22.00 + shipping).

I don't know why I'm not on Josh's mailing list any more but I'll figure that out. Thanks for the heads up. Got the coke bottle single and the LP. Would love the other single in the bundle but not $75 worth.

Totally looking forward to the Black Sheep Inn.

You can get the deluxe LP + 7" by itself without any bundle for $22 here: http://joshritter.merchtable.com/the-beast-in-its-tracks/the-beast-in-its-tracks-deluxe-vinyl-lp-limited-edition

I don't know why I'm not on Josh's mailing list any more but I'll figure that out. Thanks for the heads up. Got the coke bottle single and the LP. Would love the other single in the bundle but not $75 worth.

Totally looking forward to the Black Sheep Inn.

The Deluxe LP is available as a stand alone item: http://joshritter.merchtable.com/the-beast-in-its-tracks/the-beast-in-its-tracks-deluxe-vinyl-lp-limited-edition

or in the T-Shirt pack: http://joshritter.merchtable.com/the-beast-in-its-tracks/the-beast-in-its-tracks-limited-edition-deluxe-vinyl-lp-music-plus-more-package

I fought hard to make sure people didn't have to buy the most expensive package just to hear some extra tunes :)

FYI, yesterday when I ordered, I had to use my iPhone to finalize the purchase as my PC would not let me continue the checkout process for some reason. I just logged in on my PC, added the items I wanted to my cart, then accessed the website from my phone and completed the check out process. There's definitely a problem with the site, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anybody ever get the 7" of "Joy To You Baby"? I ordered it along with the deluxe LP preorder, but I haven't received any word about it. I may be mistaken, but I thought that the "Joy" single would be shipped as soon as/soon after we ordered...

This should have shipped out as soon as you ordered it. Send an email to [email protected] with your order # and they should sort you out.

In other news our deluxe editions have sold out online but copies will be available in indie record stores on release date. You can always go to your store and put in a request for them to order one for you. The record is being distributed via Red Eye if that helps out anyone. There are still bundle packages of standard LP and CDs available though!

This just reminds me I never got a vinyl copy of "The Historical Conquests of....". Gotta start searching.

One limited pressing was done on 180 gram in Ireland, only. It's somewhat expensive to import it if you do find it. Check Amazon.ie You might also try messaging Dave O'Grady who runs our Ireland fan page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Josh-Ritter-Ireland/310411435716576?fref=ts  He ran the Irish label, Independent Records and he may still have some copies.

We just re-acquired the rights to it back from Sony/BMG last year. We'll repress it in the States sooner or later. Obviously, our focus is on The Beast In Its Tracks at the moment.

ALSO: NPR premiered another new song from the record about a week ago. Josh has been playing it live for the past year and a half or so. So if you've come out to see us at a show you might recognize it. It's the last one on this list.

New Lover - http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/12/21/167814917/2013-winter-music-preview

Did anybody ever get the 7" of "Joy To You Baby"? I ordered it along with the deluxe LP preorder, but I haven't received any word about it. I may be mistaken, but I thought that the "Joy" single would be shipped as soon as/soon after we ordered...

This should have shipped out as soon as you ordered it. Send an email to [email protected] with your order # and they should sort you out.

This is not the case. I emailed mechtable last week with the same question and this is the response I received:

Hey James, thanks for the email. It looks like you had also purchased a pre-order. When that happens all of the items have to ship together, in this case in late February. Unfortunately we don't have a way to split orders or charge more than handling fee at this time.

If there's anything else I can do to help please let me know.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

-Burton

• 3 weeks later...