Recently Viewing

Watched "We Need to Talk About Kevin" for the 2nd time last night and it was just as fucked up as I remembered. Great cinematography, deranged kid. I really wish John C. Reilly would do more serious films.

I'm halfway through "what's eating Gilbert Grape". Doesn't have a huge part in there but does play a serious role.

Watched a few different indies over the last couple of days.  Unfortunately, for every single great indie flick there are always another hundred that simply go nowhere.  Watched Save the Date last night, which featured a cast I think the bulk of you guys here would really dig: Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, and Geoffrey Arend who have all shared screen time in the past.  This was definitely a film geared toward a specific niche, falling into a number of different stereotypes: book shop girl, indie band, etc etc.  Not a bad watch, just not repeat.

See Girl Run, basically just another sad bastard indie that goes nowhere.

The Big White, a black comedy caper ala Fargo, starring Robin Williams and Giovanni Ribisi.  I highly recommend this if you dig Ribisi, or Williams in his darker comedic roles (Worlds Greatest Dad)

Watched a few different indies over the last couple of days. Unfortunately, for every single great indie flick there are always another hundred that simply go nowhere. Watched Save the Date last night, which featured a cast I think the bulk of you guys here would really dig: Lizzy Caplan, Martin Starr, and Geoffrey Arend who have all shared screen time in the past. This was definitely a film geared toward a specific niche, falling into a number of different stereotypes: book shop girl, indie band, etc etc. Not a bad watch, just not repeat.

See Girl Run, basically just another sad bastard indie that goes nowhere.

The Big White, a black comedy caper ala Fargo, starring Robin Williams and Giovanni Ribisi. I highly recommend this if you dig Ribisi, or Williams in his darker comedic roles (Worlds Greatest Dad)

I'll have to check out The Big White. I love Giovanni Ribisi, I think he is a highly underrated actor.

If you liked Dr. Caligari, check out the original Nosferatu.  Also try some Charlie Chaplin like The Gold Rush or Modern Times (my two favorites of his, that I've seen at least).

I'm not on a mission to see more silent movies but I'll consider Nosferatu. Not a fan of Chaplin stuff.  Most of what I have seen is supposed to be "comedy" and my theory is that there wasn't a single funny movie made up until Blazing Saddles. Everything that is supposed to be "comedy" made before that is terrible.

I'm not on a mission to see more silent movies but I'll consider Nosferatu. Not a fan of Chaplin stuff.  Most of what I have seen is supposed to be "comedy" and my theory is that there wasn't a single funny movie made up until Blazing Saddles. Everything that is supposed to be "comedy" made before that is terrible.

if you like the beatles, i've always considered "a hard day's night" to be a very funny film. very dry and witty, which i like.

most older comedies have to really be placed in context to be enjoyed, and that's hard to do if you didn't live in the time. but i see where you're coming from and blazing saddles is hilarious.

Never seen hard days night. I'll consider it.

But I don't think its a problem of perspective. I think new comedies just blow old ones out of the water. I wasn't alive when Caddyshack was made but I still think it's funny as fuck. There are a few great 70s comedies. 60s movies and earlier have never even made me chuckle.

Just my theory.

The girlfriend and I watched Trash Humpers last night.

It's a Harmony Korine film about these 4 sociopathic people dressed up as old people who literally go around humping trash and doing other random things. It was weird to say the least, but definitely entertaining. Harmony Korine has slowly made his way to becoming one of my favorite directors. He's like David Lynch in the sense that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of his films. He makes whatever he wants to and if you like it, then good, and if you don't, then who cares.

The girlfriend and I watched Trash Humpers last night.

It's a Harmony Korine film about these 4 sociopathic people dressed up as old people who literally go around humping trash and doing other random things. It was weird to say the least, but definitely entertaining. Harmony Korine has slowly made his way to becoming one of my favorite directors. He's like David Lynch in the sense that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of his films. He makes whatever he wants to and if you like it, then good, and if you don't, then who cares.

I love Harmony but I can't make it through 15 minutes of Trash Humpers.

Caught The Details the other night on Netflix, very good dark comedy.  This film almost allowed me to forgive Toby Maguire for his role in the Spider Man franchise, almost.  Elizabeth Banks is pretty great in nearly everything she does, and Laura Linney and Ray Liotta make up a pretty awesome ensemble cast.  Definitely recommended if you dig black comedies like Very Bad Things or Four Rooms.