Where to start?

Hi everyone. The last record I ever bought might have been 30+ years ago. I'm wanting to start buying Vinyl again but I have no idea where/what to get for a Turntable...speakers...receiver...any suggestions? Helpful Websites? I am so excited to listen to Vinyl again and hear Music the way it should be listened to. Thanks!

Assuming that your budget is fairly low, I would look for some used equipment on Craigslist. I've always been a fan of old Marantz amps and Dual turntables. If you want to buy new, I would look on www.needledoctor.com for turntables, cartridges, etc. If you need a set a speakers or amplification, I would check crutchfield.com. You don't have to buy from any of these places, but they do give you a good idea of what to look for.

If you have us a price range it would probably let us help you a little more.

Assuming that your budget is fairly low, I would look for some used equipment on Craigslist. I've always been a fan of old Marantz amps and Dual turntables. If you want to buy new, I would look on www.needledoctor.com for turntables, cartridges, etc. If you need a set a speakers or amplification, I would check crutchfield.com. You don't have to buy from any of these places, but they do give you a good idea of what to look for.

If you have us a price range it would probably let us help you a little more.

Thanks for the help. I'm probably looking at $700-$1000....

Thanks for the help. I'm probably looking at $700-$1000....

Alright, so I think I put together a system for you that falls into that price range. You're going to need four components; a turntable, a receiver/amplifier, a phono stage, and a pair of speakers. To make things easier for me, I chose all new equipment because I know you'll be able to buy them wherever you are. If you find a nice pair of speakers or turntable near you that is cheaper, by all means go for that. These are just suggestions.

For the turntable, I picked out the Project Debut Carbon. I have last year's Debut, which was before they implemented the carbon arm, and I absolutely love it. It was considered one of the two best tables for that price range, and now that they've improved the arm it's even better. By the way, it comes in a ton of colors. I have the blue and really like it, but pick whatever you want. $400.

If this is going to be a separate system only powering a turntable, you're going to be able to save quite a bit on the amp. From what I hear, Emotiva makes great amps for the money, and their mini-X a-100 would be perfect for a small setup. Their winter sale is going on right now, so it's $40 off, bringing it to $180. If you ever need to expand it, you can buy a preamp later on to add more sources (like the radio, cd player, tape deck, etc.) If you are trying to have other things hooked up to this, let me know and I'll try to find something else.

Your phono stage is what connects your turntable to the amp. Cambridge stuff is generally regarded as pretty good, and the Azur 540p would fit into your budget at only $100.

Speakers are a little tough at this price point, but you can definitely get a solid pair of bookshelves. If you want floorstanders, you're probably going to have to buy used though. I would either get the PSB Image B4s at $330 a pair or Klipsch RB-41 II at $300 a pair. Personally I prefer the PSBs, but a lot of people enjoy Klipsch's unique sound, due to the horns they use for tweeters.

This brings it to right around $1000, which I understand is the upper limit of your price range. You're also going to need cables and wires which shouldn't cost more than $25. Make sure you don't buy Monster or anything else that claims to be special, just go to http://www.monoprice.com and get however much speaker wire you need and 2 pairs of banana plugs (these are optional, but make things a bit easier)

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

One question...will a cheap Turntable damage your Records?

It will probably sound flimsy. My father purchased a ION Quick Play Flash from Barnes and Noble the other day, marketed for consumers who don't listen to records as a quick vinyl to mp3 recording machine. The sound quality is pure shit.

Depends on how cheap you go. Definitely don't buy a Crosley or Ion. I've heard okay things about Audio-Technica, but can't personally recommend them. I think that buying a turntable at the $400 price point is the best value. It gives you great quality out of the box, and there is the option to upgrade most things down the line.

If you do think you need to spend less on a table, there's the U-Turn Audio Orbit Turntable that's going to be coming out soon. That's going to be $150, but I have no clue when it will actually be coming out. And no one outside of the company has heard it, so it could end up being pretty bad. But looking at the specs, it definitely seems to be better than the Crosleys and Ions, but still a step below the Pro-Ject I linked.

Thanks thirdfromthesun, that was awesome! I am going to start buying stuff over the next few days and then start with acquiring everything ever released by my favorite Band of all-time....The Clash!!!

Good luck with finding everything, and it's funny you mention The Clash. I've been trying to pick up London Calling lately.

Check out newegg.com They have a sale on definitive technology speakers... 400 for floor standing (which may be more than you're looking to spend on one component right now) and i believe about 175-200 for the bookshelves. can't beat great speakers at about 60% off, and free shipping!