Discogs Help

jared

Discogs barred me from making submissions. I tried selling individual pieces of a boxset (selective gold NOFX 7"s I didn't want) and made record listing for them. NOFX fans reported me like crazy.

If you read the rules of Discogs, that's clearly listed as not allowed. I would have reported you too as you were compromising the integrity of the database in order to sell things. 

So he should have used one of the originals and put gold in the notes?

If it was packaged and sold as a box set, it must be entered as a box set on Discogs (and include notes about color)

He was talking about taking the box set and submitting individual discs as new entries so he can sell those.

Ive submitted 2 entries to Discogs. I firmly believe its vital to the database that all us Discogs users take 10 minutes to add entries when we have something in our collection that is not represented in the current database. Its really easy to do. My only gripe is that they don't allow images that have too many pixels or is too large to be uploaded. Ive got a 16 megapixel camera that takes some beautifully detailed photos. Unfortunately, I cannot use it so Ive either gotta find an existing web image or use my phone camera.

Ive submitted 2 entries to Discogs. I firmly believe its vital to the database that all us Discogs users take 10 minutes to add entries when we have something in our collection that is not represented in the current database. Its really easy to do. My only gripe is that they don't allow images that have too many pixels or is too large to be uploaded. Ive got a 16 megapixel camera that takes some beautifully detailed photos. Unfortunately, I cannot use it so Ive either gotta find an existing web image or use my phone camera.

Why don't you just make the image smaller on your computer before you upload?

Discogs barred me from making submissions. I tried selling individual pieces of a boxset (selective gold NOFX 7"s I didn't want) and made record listing for them. NOFX fans reported me like crazy.

Yes, this is definitely wrong. Not saying this is much better.. but you could have posted one of them under the box set listing, stating: in the sales notes, that the item for sale is in fact ONLY a PIECE of the set. Since these are from a box set they must remain within that listing -- creating new listings for the individual records is a no-go. Honestly, I'm not sure if even attempting to sell an individual piece would be accepted. I can't speak for that 100% as I haven't seen anybody try that nor have I attempted it. Cheers!

(i.e. Jack White's Blunderbuss -- Inverted Lightning Bolt Variant -- has some pressings from the shipment that ended up being COMPLETELY BLUE w/out any Black at all. I tried listing this as it's own variant and I was shot down. I thought that this would be better listed as it's own piece (for Buy and Sell sake), do to the rarity and such. I was wrong :( Sort of different than your situation; but as close as I've come to it! Good Luck!)

i use XnView on the PC. It's free and can do batch processing.

http://www.xnview.com/

GIMP is also free if you want to get super crazy.

http://www.gimp.org/

Awesome, thanks. Ive got some image rendering Id like to do for some other things, so Im gonna give GIMP a shot before paying for a professional to do it for me.

Yes, this is definitely wrong. Not saying this is much better.. but you could have posted one of them under the box set listing, stating: in the sales notes, that the item for sale is in fact ONLY a PIECE of the set. Since these are from a box set they must remain within that listing -- creating new listings for the individual records is a no-go. Honestly, I'm not sure if even attempting to sell an individual piece would be accepted. I can't speak for that 100% as I haven't seen anybody try that nor have I attempted it. Cheers!

(i.e. Jack White's Blunderbuss -- Inverted Lightning Bolt Variant -- has some pressings from the shipment that ended up being COMPLETELY BLUE w/out any Black at all. I tried listing this as it's own variant and I was shot down. I thought that this would be better listed as it's own piece (for Buy and Sell sake), do to the rarity and such. I was wrong :( Sort of different than your situation; but as close as I've come to it! Good Luck!)

Blunderbuss is a standard release. Just because yours looks a little different does not warrant a whole new entry. That would just clog up the database. If you would want to sell yours, just list that it is wholly blue in the notes of your sale item.

A lot of people suck at Discogs and it is annoying. Web-submissions (entering a release based on info from the internet instead of having it in your hands) is the biggest culprit. Rule #1 on Discogs is that you MUST have the release in your hand to verify the info (and a lot of people fail to grasp this super simple concept) like catalog number, barcode, tracklisting, etc

It's why this Brand New release is still a disaster:

http://www.discogs.com/Brand-New-The-Devil-And-God-Are-Raging-Inside-Me/master/135126

A lot of people suck at Discogs and it is annoying. Web-submissions (entering a release based on info from the internet instead of having it in your hands) is the biggest culprit. Rule #1 on Discogs is that you MUST have the release in your hand to verify the info (and a lot of people fail to grasp this super simple concept) like catalog number, barcode, tracklisting, etc

It's why this Brand New release is still a disaster:

http://www.discogs.com/Brand-New-The-Devil-And-God-Are-Raging-Inside-Me/master/135126

Cant you submit an edit?

I had a guy edit one of my releases because I had a mistske in my speed of vinyl, which I don't even remember making said mistake and he was able to edit my release and get his name on as a submitter. And I am pretty sure he didn't even have the release in question! It was hard enough for me to even find my initial copy to submit.

What's the easiest way to add a version/variant of a release? The way i've done it before was creating a new submission and then merging it. 

You'll actually want to avoid the Merge function (this is used when there are two of the exact same release and the will be merged into one submission)

What you'll want to use is "Master Release". This function groups all the different versions of an album/single/etc as one but still keeps them as separate pages

http://www.discogs.c...er-release.html

For this example, see here;

http://www.discogs.c...se.html#Editing

The steps are really easy for this and once you have one under your belt, you're a pro.