Lent

You guys should nominate me to be the next Pope. I meet the two requirements.

Dude, this is a public forum.

There is no way I'd admit to being a kiddy fiddler.

(*singing*) Do not diddle kids; it’s no good diddling kids. I wouldn’t do it with anyone younger than my daughter. No little kids, gotta be big.

God's not real. Heaven's not real. Hell's not real. Religion exists to give people something bigger than themselves to believe in. Once you overcome that weakness and believe in yourself, you can leave religion behind and be a better person for it.

Basically, just be a good, kind person and your life will work out fine. To quote one of my all-time favorite songs, Weatherbox's "Trippin' The Light Fantastic":

This god of your holy books I do not agree with him
I will not be one more servant
I will not bow to anything
Not a puff of smoke or the flash of a turning mirror
Let's talk about your real fears
Like that you might actually be all alone
No happy heavenly home
To return to god, dispenser of judgmental pencil shavings
He's got baggies full for you
But I've got a planet packed with proof

Oh, to understand
You must spend time alone
To comprehend
You must spend time alone
To be together
We must spend time alone

And I am the only thing that's controlling
My functions, my habits, and hands
And I'm alone in the vastness
Hollow vacuum
I take my chances
And I am holding all my horses tight
We've become breathlessly dark
And we're coming up for light

I was dating a girl shortly after high school who was from a very religious family, and she asked me how I could enjoy life without believing in god, or something similar to that.  She was asking it like she felt my life was lacking something because I didn't believe in an afterlife.  My response was that by not hoping for some fantasy land after I die, I can fully appreciate and enjoy what life I know I have on this earth.

If somehow I'm wrong, great.  I'd like to think that god, if one exists, will judge me a pretty good person and give me a good afterlife anyway.  If he doesn't, simply because I didn't attribute everything I experienced to him and thank him for it, then he's a petty asshole and fuck him; I don't want his afterlife.

I was dating a girl shortly after high school who was from a very religious family, and she asked me how I could enjoy life without believing in god, or something similar to that.  She was asking it like she felt my life was lacking something because I didn't believe in an afterlife.  My response was that by not hoping for some fantasy land after I die, I can fully appreciate and enjoy what life I know I have on this earth.

If somehow I'm wrong, great.  I'd like to think that god, if one exists, will judge me a pretty good person and give me a good afterlife anyway.  If he doesn't, simply because I didn't attribute everything I experienced to him and thank him for it, then he's a petty asshole and fuck him; I don't want his afterlife.

I echo this 100%.

Damn, some of you people are coming off as really bitter. People who dont believe in religion and have to tell people they are wrong if they do, sound just as crazy as those bible thumpers. To think that someone is weak because they are religious and believe in a higher power is the epitome of ignorant. Why do you care if someone believes in something?

Damn, some of you people are coming off as really bitter. People who dont believe in religion and have to tell people they are wrong if they do, sound just as crazy as those bible thumpers. To think that someone is weak because they are religious and believe in a higher power is the epitome of ignorant. Why do you care if someone believes in something?

You're misunderstanding my opinion on religion as a genuine interest in an individual's personal beliefs. I don't care what you personally do or do not believe in; however, I am of the opinion that religion is bullshit.

in my eyes, i just find it scary that religion is still as wide-spread as it is. that people just blindly follow the word of some guys who told stories thousands of years ago because they didn't have things like the internet and rollerderby. every last bit of it is based on boredom.

Just to clarify my stance on this, I HATE organized religion. I think it does far more harm than good and is rooted in many exclusionary principles.

But I don't hate religious people or think they are weak. While I think many intelligent people ignore some obvious facts that blatantly disprove many religion principles, I respect their right to think and do as they please...which is unfortunately more than many religious people can say about others.