Help! My tone arm is being a dick

But guys ... It's a PRO.

But seriously, something is triggering the auto-return mechanism early.  Check the manual and see if that particular problem is addressed.  It's obviously not worth paying for someone to fix it, so unless you have a buddy who is handy, might as well crack that sucker open and see if you can figure it out.

You could find an okay used turntable for under $120.  Shouldn't be too tough in Atlanta ...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/3663360451.html

Cannot agree more with getting an RP1.

Frankly, all these new age turntables like the ION, Crosley, Numark, etc. are just a cash in from the manufacturers in what they think is a "fad".  They are turning this into some nice profits, but do little to promote the true vinyl experience.  These new tables are made of cheap plastics, fitted with cheaper needles and barely keep speed.  It's atrocious as it takes away so much from the experience.  A person who might really find musical solace in vinyl as a medium could easily be turned away from it due to these quality issues.  The problem is not with the format but playback method.

Between the 20 - 30 year gap since vinyl was mainstream and now, there are so many people who would hear records for the first time and finally get a chance to hear how awesome they sound.  That analog magic lost in this digital age (I'm a software engineer, so I am fully aware of what advances digital has made till date AND I've personally invested large sums of money into it.  Digital still has a long way to go and the only promising sound I heard has been from DSD / SACD which just didn't catch on).

Tables such as the Rega RP1 is fantastic to introduce people to the true qualities of analog sound.  I just wish that RP1 quality can be had for even cheaper so MORE people get into this.  Vinyl needs to make a comeback...not DIGITALLY MASTERED vinyl, but truly analog vinyl.

Rant over...

OP, save up and get a Rega RP1.  You will be sooooooo very happy!

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for reading it.  I hope I was able to share some of my thoughts on this matter :)

make all the ion jokes you want, but my sony does this, and it's the worst.

i even took it apart one day and did some minor surgery, to no avail.

i've tried a hundred different things from spinning the platter backwards, to tinkering with the stop & start buttons, leveling it, anything i can.

sometimes it woks, sometimes it doesn't do it for weeks, sometimes i can't flip one record without it happening again.

Frankly, all these new age turntables like the ION, Crosley, Numark, etc. are just a cash in from the manufacturers in what they think is a "fad".  They are turning this into some nice profits, but do little to promote the true vinyl experience.  These new tables are made of cheap plastics, fitted with cheaper needles and barely keep speed.  It's atrocious as it takes away so much from the experience.  A person who might really find musical solace in vinyl as a medium could easily be turned away from it due to these quality issues.  The problem is not with the format but playback method.

Between the 20 - 30 year gap since vinyl was mainstream and now, there are so many people who would hear records for the first time and finally get a chance to hear how awesome they sound.  That analog magic lost in this digital age (I'm a software engineer, so I am fully aware of what advances digital has made till date AND I've personally invested large sums of money into it.  Digital still has a long way to go and the only promising sound I heard has been from DSD / SACD which just didn't catch on).

Tables such as the Rega RP1 is fantastic to introduce people to the true qualities of analog sound.  I just wish that RP1 quality can be had for even cheaper so MORE people get into this.  Vinyl needs to make a comeback...not DIGITALLY MASTERED vinyl, but truly analog vinyl.

Rant over...

OP, save up and get a Rega RP1.  You will be sooooooo very happy!

Sorry for the long post.  Thanks for reading it.  I hope I was able to share some of my thoughts on this matter :)

So true. From growing up on digital, the Technics 1200 I had at first just didn't convey the emotion in vinyl that I had heard everyone talk about. As soon as I got a Rega, that changed and my collection doubled in a fraction of the time.

As for the price...you can only bring the price down so much on something that is (quite literally) hand made in England. If you want to keep those quality control issues down, you have to keep the price up to a certain extent.

So true. From growing up on digital, the Technics 1200 I had at first just didn't convey the emotion in vinyl that I had heard everyone talk about. As soon as I got a Rega, that changed and my collection doubled in a fraction of the time.

As for the price...you can only bring the price down so much on something that is (quite literally) hand made in England. If you want to keep those quality control issues down, you have to keep the price up to a certain extent.

The Technics 1200 series decks are definitely great decks.  They are Direct Drive which tends to have a different presentation than a belt drive.  The 80s saw the pinnacle of such direct drive technology as insane amount of money was poured into research and development at that time.  But they were limited to manufacturing standards and tolerances of that time I feel.  In 2013, we have such a great level of accuracy in manufacturing, the industry is churning out higher quality and spec units.

Direct Drives are definitely more accurate with very little wow and flutter.  But belt drive turntables tug at my heartstrings :)

Maybe there will be more manufacturing breakthroughs and Rega's can be made even cheaper.  I say get the format into the hands of the masses and vinyl will have a kingly resurgence!

no, but they made the table that my mom bought me for christmas. and as long as the tone arm doesnt act up, it sounds just as good as i need it to.

i've seen upwards of 10 other members on here with the same one over the last couple years, and they all seem to enjoy it fine.

my laptop speakers and a pair of earbuds sound fine to me. i'm just not that picky.

if i have the financial ability to some day get a great system, that'd be great. 

but i'm a-okay listening to a turn table that sounds fine to me, but really it's bad because it wasn't $1500.