Any Ruku users out there? General thoughts?  I am thinking about picking one up, but don't know anyone with personal experience. Plus, their website isn't too clear on all the channels and the cost of the non-free ones. I dont watch too much TV, but it would be good to watch some cable shows through the ruku via Amazon: Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Homeland, etc. I think at lest some of them become available some after airing.

HBO does not make it easy to watch their shows with out a full on cable subscription - The Oatmeal was spot on.

I have 2 rokus in my house and give them out as gifts. Hopefully you're willing to pay for Hulu and Netflix at least. If you have a family member with HBO access ask them for their login info to their provider and get HBOgo for free.

Relying strictly on the free channels won't get you much, although I do use Revision3, YouTube, Crackle, and IndieFlix which are all free. You can even add private channels which don't appear in the app store:
http://streamfree.tv/apps/roku-private-channels/

You can also purchase a channel called Chaneru to stream MP4s from your computer to your Roku (Although it looks like there's a Plex app private channel, which is a free). If you want live TV you can always hack one of these bad boys together to use in a pinch ;)

Why not just use a ps3/xbox360 to stream everything from your computer to your tv? It's free and easy. And most houses already have one or both.

You also have the added bonus of either downloading it via a paid service or free(read: pirated).

*edit* or am I missing something this ruku thing can do, that a ps3 wirelessly connected to your computer can't do?

Why not just use a ps3/xbox360 to stream everything from your computer to your tv? It's free and easy. And most houses already have one or both.

You also have the added bonus of either downloading it via a paid service or free(read: pirated).

*edit* or am I missing something this ruku thing can do, that a ps3 wirelessly connected to your computer can't do?

Cost a third of the price. OP didn't ask anything about streaming media from a PC, it was just something I mentioned passively. That's not everybody's prerogative.

It's just that ps3 can stream/record tv too, as well as a bunch of other features I'm not seeing for this roku thing. We don't have them over here. So I had to search it's features.

Despite the modest price it seems quite thin on features

As someone who owns both I assure you they're 2 separate devices that both excel in different areas, however the roku does not flounder when it comes to video streaming (what it's main purpose is).

If you want to be real tech about it you could always build a Raspbmc out of a Raspberry Pi and run your own dedicated media server. OP asked for suggestions on the Roku in particular, not pricier/more in depth alternatives.

It's been hit on already but yeah, a PS3 does everything a roku would but is more expensive. 

I typically go usenet download -> ipad (wirelessly) -> TV through HDMI adapter, if I don't just watch directly on my computer / projector setup.

That's why I asked OP's view on downloading TV. If he is going to go through Netflix / Amazon, Roku is fine and might as well save the money. 

My girlfriend does the streaming/downloading in the house. Currently, i just have a work issued laptop. It seems best to stream tv stuff (as opposed to downloading), particularly if it's HBO content. Even so, she has had a few virusy issues. I would like to be able to watch the few things I like without the hassle of russian websites, etc. Moreover, I would love to drop cable entirely. If the Ruku or something similar can provide the shows we like in good quality streams without too much hassle i would cancel the cable in a heartbeat.

I was curious what other people's experiences were. I have not owned a game system since the original nintendo so i probably wont be picking up a PS3 or Xbox or Calecovision.

I love my Roku. Have been cable-free for a few years. Was using an HTPC in the past, but pretty much use that as a server now, and use the Roku for all my viewing. I supplement it with these add-ons...

Amazon Prime ($79/year)

Full access to their streaming video library. A large number of movies and TV series are free, and others you can rent for a few bucks a pop. 

Spotify Premium ($10/month)

$10/month, allows you to stream over Roku and download music offline to your phone or computer

Plex (free):

Install the media server on your PC and the channel on your Roku. Download/rip/acquire all the movies and TV shows you want on your PC, and stream them to your Roku. Does music too, but the interface is terrible. See my next point...

SubsonicTV ($20 lifetime)

Similar to Plex, but strictly for music. Much better interface

Fully understand. Wouldn't recommend the russian sites either.

You have many options for fully secured downloading if you would like to go that route.

My prefered -- Usenet account (about $10 a month) with Sabnzb / Sick Beard / Couch Potato

Also good -- Either public torrents with a VPN (about $10 a month also) or private torrents (probably have to pay a one time fee of $10 to get the invite, then you are good).

The nicest part about Usenet is that after a little set-up, everything is automated. I watch Walking Dead also. I wake up on Monday morning, and it is downloaded to my computer automatically in HD quality with zero worry about viruses. If you are going without cable, I think it is worth it to pay a little bit each month for security and to be able to turn your computer into a DVR. Lot's of people get by fine with just a private torrent site, though, and it is just a small one time fee.

I also bought a slingbox ($70 one time on ebay, no subscription fee). It is connected to the TV at my sister's house. I pretty much only use it for live sports. The quality isn't as good as what I download. It fills in the gap nicely between an all internet system and cable (the gap being that finding live sports online is a pain in the ass).

There are times where my conscious gets to me and I watch stuff on the network sites with commercials even though it has already been downloaded commercial-less on my computer. I would gladly support the networks if they would all just support the internet-only customer. Not trying to get around advertisements, just the $150 a month cable bill. Until we get there, though, I download a lot.

• 2 years later...

Old bump for pricing question.

Currently, I do all my streaming through my 360: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, and Plex. With Xbox, I have to pay $5 a month for the Plex Pass. However, from my understanding the Plex app on a Roku is a one time fee of $5. I'd much rather do that and save the monthly fees. So, I'm thinking my long term options are:

1. Keep Xbox, upgrade to lifetime Plex Pass for $150. Pays for itself in 15 months.

2. Buy Roku ($30-$80), buy Plex app for $5.

3. Build bare bones PC to use as media player and use TV as monitor.

#2 seems like the best option financially, and #1 is the laziest. Can anyone verify #2 is how the Roku does Plex? If I need the pass for the Roku as well, then I'll just stick to the Xbox. Thank you, you are all precious in my sight.

Both my daughter's rokus died in the last month. I gave my oldest the Fire TV stick I bought to put Kodi on (I only use it for PPV events anyways), will probably buy my youngest one too but she needs a new TV with an HDMI port. She's gotta wait cause we just replaced our broken ass bedroom TV (with a built-in Roku TV, coincidentally).

The spending never ends!

Nancy_raygun, have you considered an Amazon Fire Stick or TV box with Kodi (xbmc)? It's fly by night as hell, but you can stream pretty much anything for free.

I've been running Plex on my Roku 3 for a while and have had only a few issues. It doesn't play every single kind of video format but it's not that big an issue. It plays the majority of them. I paid $5 once and I still get updates. I use it to stream movies from my PC to my TV. That's all I'm using it for.