How much should I take for a lot of 1200 CD's?

I'm going to attempt to sell all of my CD's to a local shop today. They're in good condition... mostly rock, punk, pop, ska, reggae, etc from the 90's to recent. Pretty common stuff, nothing too obscure or rare.

What should I reasonably expect to get for them without feeling ripped off? Just looking for a ballpark number from people who might have done this before...

What kind of stuff do they reject? Unknown stuff? I've been thinking about doing this. I have a Buybacks and an FYE.

Yeah. The last time I did this I let them pick out all the stuff they didn't want (a lot of it was stuff that I didn't even know what the band was. The kinda stuff you get if you do one of those "50 cds for $25" deals the distros run or stuff that just gets thrown in with the order).

Anyways, I think when it was all over there were about 20 cds they didn't want and I just told them "$2 for all of them". They took it. Store is out of business. Probably ended up in the trash.

Like others have said, if you can get rid of 1200 cds and make any money really you should go for it. I took about 200 cds from high school to the shop a few years ago and they only wanted like, 10 of them and gave me two bucks a piece. It wasn't even obscure stuff. Lots of Drive Thru, Equal Vision, Vagrant, etc. stuff from that time.

I sold some back to secondspin.com. You can look up what they'll give you for one before you choose to sell it and then you have to mail them in. Some CDs I got up to 4-5 bucks for though.

Wasn't aware of this. Thanks for posting. I just tried a couple searches (stuff like Screeching Weasel, the lillingtons) and it seemed like they were paying $2-3 per cd. I would gladly take this. Just need to get everything off cd and onto a hard drive. That should be fun....

I can't know what a record store will offer you, but for 1200 I would say somewhere in the realm of $250-300.  If, that is, they even bother dealing with you carting in 1200 cds at once.

My suggestion would be to start an ebay auction and invest a bit of money into promoting it.  If you're looking to off them all as a lot this would be a great pickup for a record store who wants to buy a ton of choice cds (or especially someone who is hoping to open a record store).  You'd probably make a lot more money this way.

Buybacks only takes things they can scan in or find a barcode through amazon. Their system is connected to Amazon's pricing and what they give you is based off of condition and the amazon price.

I worked at the Dayton Mall store for a few months before I moved to Chicago. Loved the staff I worked with. (aside from the middle aged movie freak who threatened our store manager and the guy who crushed up some pills and snorted them off the back of the toilet...)

I should say some of the things that were brought in, they actually started running by me in terms of whether they should take a chance on it, searching for a barcode to scan or not, or if we should try to find at least a similar version or even if it was something I would personally be interested in and would buy from the store if no one else found it.

I got an original Bloodlink Pressing of Atom and His Package's self titled cd that way. it's the version where they were still photocopying the tray artwork themselves and shit, and didn't have a barcode and I told them to buy it in and I would gladly pay full price for it.

Same with some Jello Biafra spoken word cds. The barcodes are apparently on the outside of the shrinkwrap for those, 'cause they were totally going to pass on If Evolution Is Outlawed... and Beyond the Valley of the Gift Police, but I'm like "wait, what the shit are you doing?"

I also scored some free Bob Dylan records working there. SOme lady came in wanting to sell them, but much to my dismay, we didn't carry vinyl (used to, but they were done away with after the old store manager before us was fired for embezzling from the company). I told her that Half Price Books would probably take them, but since they generally buy in bulk, they wouldn't offer very much for them. Then she just asked if I wanted them. Yeah, I'll take a free vinyl copy of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. No argument there...