Article: The Rising Cost of New Vinyl

This guy must have been reading my mind. Everything he is saying is perfect. I'm also wondering about the life of the variant thing, even though I like to buy them. Variants pulled up and then dragged down the comic book industry in the 90's. I'm just really starting to look at how ridiculous it is to buy multiple copies of the same record(not a judgement on anyone who does this btw).

Great read thanks for posting! This was my favorite part:

"Major labels notoriously blew it in the ‘90s by killing the single as a format and outrageously overpricing CDs, which of course lead to the downloading revolution and the crippling of an industry. Now that they’ve been given a chance to redeem themselves with the resurgence of interest in vinyl, not only are they shooting themselves in the foot, but it’s the same foot, the same gun, and they’re even reusing the bullet!"

Came to this conclusion about 6 months ago and it's shaken my interest significantly. In fact, I plan to sell a ton of these overpriced items soon - when I stare at them vs how often I'm spinning them then add up what was spent it's mind numbing. 

The bottom line is that I came to vinyl in the early and mid-1990s not because I wanted to amass a huge collection but because it was the only affordable way for me to get the music at the time. Used and New vinyl was far cheaper than cds and now the reverse is true for most labels with only a few exceptions. So fuck it. I'm no longer buying ridiculously overpriced reissues and new releases that I can get at the charity bookstore downstairs for $5 or less. At some point the market will flip and if I am desperate for a 12" version of something I'm passing on now at $25 then I'll pull it from a future used bin for $10 or less. My bank account over the past few months has shown significant growth as I've changed my spending habits and if I'm honest I have to say that I like it.

In the interim I need a new competition bicycle and will be buying by purging more vinyl. I think getting out in the sun even more frequently will do me a hell of a lot more good then rearranging another shelf to store yet another growing pile of overpriced vinyl that's sitting on my floor.

This guy must have been reading my mind. Everything he is saying is perfect. I'm also wondering about the life of the variant thing, even though I like to buy them. Variants pulled up and then dragged down the comic book industry in the 90's. I'm just really starting to look at how ridiculous it is to buy multiple copies of the same record(not a judgement on anyone who does this btw).

Right there with ya. I'm about to be rich!!!