The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

Need some advice. I wanna get more into astrophotography and need to do some upgrades that are budget friendly.

I have a older Canon Digital Rebel XT but the ISO only goes to 800 but my fiances has a Nikon D80 that has a 1600 ISO, although I prefer Canon i'll probably look to upgrade parts to hers.

I need to find a wide angle lens that has a f stop of at least 2.8.

Any suggestions?

Need some advice. I wanna get more into astrophotography and need to do some upgrades that are budget friendly.

I have a older Canon Digital Rebel XT but the ISO only goes to 800 but my fiances has a Nikon D80 that has a 1600 ISO, although I prefer Canon i'll probably look to upgrade parts to hers.

I need to find a wide angle lens that has a f stop of at least 2.8.

Any suggestions?

any of the newer canon rebel bodies are pretty cheap...in camera world. but i know dropping 300-400 is a lot. 

tamron and tokina and sigma all make decent wide angle and cheaper lenses than say canon or nikon.

and yeah, you might be able to even pick up an older model lens with out an af and just set to infinity like the wonderful futurekills said

have you thought about actually hooking up and shooting through an actual telescope, i have a buddy who does it, its pretty cool.

have you thought about actually hooking up and shooting through an actual telescope, i have a buddy who does it, its pretty cool.

this is one of my dreams. when i was in space camp back in 1996, we visited this huge telescope near kennedy space center in florida.  it was one of those huuuuuge telescopes with the retractable roof and all. the guy who was giving us the tour of it showed us how he attached his canon ae-1 to take amazing photos of the stars. 9 yr old me was blown away lol.

this is one of my dreams. when i was in space camp back in 1996, we visited this huge telescope near kennedy space center in florida. it was one of those huuuuuge telescopes with the retractable roof and all. the guy who was giving us the tour of it showed us how he attached his canon ae-1 to take amazing photos of the stars. 9 yr old me was blown away lol.

First and foremost, SpaceCamp is a fucking blast

Secondly, I've been through two AE-1's I love them until they do that sticking shutter thing and basically crap out on me

First and foremost, SpaceCamp is a fucking blast

Secondly, I've been through two AE-1's I love them until they do that sticking shutter thing and basically crap out on me

yessss it was. i got to go twice! 96 & 97.

i inhereted my mom's AE-1 back when i graduated high school. she got it in 1979. whenever the shutter sticks on mine its usually bc its too cold or the battery is dead. love that camera.

yessss it was. i got to go twice! 96 & 97.

i inhereted my mom's AE-1 back when i graduated high school. she got it in 1979. whenever the shutter sticks on mine its usually bc its too cold or the battery is dead. love that camera.

I re watched the VHS from my SpaceCamp adventure with my girlfriend (her first time seeing archival pre-pubescent footage of me) recently and I had a fucking blast reliving that shit in my head! I grew up in Huntsville and my grandfather worked on one of the Apollos missions (not the moon missions, sadly) and so me and my cousin got to go an it happened that my birthday fell in the middle of it, shit ruled, my parents and grandparents brought a shit ton of cake for our team and everything.

AE-1, I got that same information from several people with both cameras that quit on me, replaced the batteries in both to no avail. Both quit on me shooting live shows....quite warm in there. I dunno. I tossed the first one, hung onto the second one (it sits on a shelf now)....might pull it down and try a new battery again.

As mentioned earlier, the bulk of what I enjoy(ed) about photography was loading my own film, shooting, developing, making contact sheets, and printing my own prints.....loosing all of that part has me less than enthused to get going. Maybe I'll try and get the Brownie working or pull out of Lomography cameras for shits and giggles again. Being restricted to an iPhone 4S is SUCH a bummer

I re watched the VHS from my SpaceCamp adventure with my girlfriend (her first time seeing archival pre-pubescent footage of me) recently and I had a fucking blast reliving that shit in my head! I grew up in Huntsville and my grandfather worked on one of the Apollos missions (not the moon missions, sadly) and so me and my cousin got to go an it happened that my birthday fell in the middle of it, shit ruled, my parents and grandparents brought a shit ton of cake for our team and everything.

AE-1, I got that same information from several people with both cameras that quit on me, replaced the batteries in both to no avail. Both quit on me shooting live shows....quite warm in there. I dunno. I tossed the first one, hung onto the second one (it sits on a shelf now)....might pull it down and try a new battery again.

As mentioned earlier, the bulk of what I enjoy(ed) about photography was loading my own film, shooting, developing, making contact sheets, and printing my own prints.....loosing all of that part has me less than enthused to get going. Maybe I'll try and get the Brownie working or pull out of Lomography cameras for shits and giggles again. Being restricted to an iPhone 4S is SUCH a bummer

aw i never got a video of my weeks at space camp! i wish i had. that is so cool that your grandfather worked for nasa on the apollo missions. thats seriously so cool - regardless if it wasn't the moon missions. thats amazing.

if you can get that camera working again thatd be awesome. i love shooting film. i'm not sure what else could be wrong aside from the shutter failing. is there maybe a camera shop near you? if nothing else, you might be able to find a used ae-1 to replace the broken one with. they are so common still.

why not still continue to shoot on film? i know the BW is the super fun part, and getting everything developed yourself. but i still shoot film all the time. in color. sure i don't do my own developing and printing anymore, but i do still like getting all the prints and film back from costco. or even better, Instant photography is so much fun!!

why not still continue to shoot on film? i know the BW is the super fun part, and getting everything developed yourself. but i still shoot film all the time. in color. sure i don't do my own developing and printing anymore, but i do still like getting all the prints and film back from costco. or even better, Instant photography is so much fun!!

Not a huge fan of color the few times I shot it....biggest drawback right now is money, honestly, I don't have a working slr and I don't have money for film/developing/printing. My holga still works, I'm sure my lomo toys work, but that's it. Maybe soon I'll come into enough money to play around again

wow. So after this thread back and forth the other day I got out all of my negatives and prints and bad prints and just kind of went through it all. Man, I have like 5-6 images that I still feel strongly about. The majority of what I shot was horrible. Now I really want to get back into photography just because I'm capable of composing stronger images now.

wow. So after this thread back and forth the other day I got out all of my negatives and prints and bad prints and just kind of went through it all. Man, I have like 5-6 images that I still feel strongly about. The majority of what I shot was horrible. Now I really want to get back into photography just because I'm capable of composing stronger images now.

do it!