The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

• 2 weeks later...

So, this is one of my current favorite photographers. Her work is insane. Because I adore her work so much I am shamelessly plugging this book she is putting out. It is really reasonably priced and will be a gorgeous coffee table book. I will be buying one.... or two or threee.

Please. Check it out. 

Also, here is her Blog. She is something damn special.

I did a few portraits over the weekend (free of charge) to practice since I rarely do them. Wanted to get your opinions. 

10817821_723656387721853_320003190_n.jpg

1922170_736553919762108_1217571987_n.jpg

mR3ZbFJ.jpg?1

oKkSh6T.jpg?2

0J2ymbU.jpg?1

I missed the focus on the last one, but I loved the blue/purple smoke in the background so I had to put it in there. 

What could I have done better, and which do you like? 

I did a few portraits over the weekend (free of charge) to practice since I rarely do them. Wanted to get your opinions. 

10817821_723656387721853_320003190_n.jpg

1922170_736553919762108_1217571987_n.jpg

mR3ZbFJ.jpg?1

oKkSh6T.jpg?2

0J2ymbU.jpg?1

I missed the focus on the last one, but I loved the blue/purple smoke in the background so I had to put it in there. 

What could I have done better, and which do you like? 

The first and second ones are my favorite. They seem really natural and they are really well lit! 

The third has great tone, but for me the arm seems really awkwardly placed. I don't know if you asked her to do that or if she did it on her own, but sometimes with people that don't feel as comfortable you have to direct a little bit. (In my experience.) Guys are actually the worst with this! They never know what to do with their hands. I often times tell them to put them in their pockets or something. For girls, if you want to have them touch their face or hair, direct them to where it looks natural. You can even position it for them if they can't do it candidly. 

For the last two, I think they are a bit static. The backgrounds are awesome, and so are the subjects. I think for me it is that tungsten lighting. Especially for girls, it just isn't flattering. On the second to last girl, it makes her look like she has bags under her eyes. I think with girls, it is espcially important to remember what they need to look flattering. Guys often think of the technical side of things of portraits, but sometimes you have to bend the "rules" to make a flattering portrait. I often have blown out backgrounds etc when doing portraits, because what you want to really focus on is the person.

I am a wuss when it comes to lighting though, and I shoot really only natural light. I struggle a lot in low light conditions, so someone else in here might have some ideas on flash / lighting techniques etc.

Overall I would say really well done for your "first" portrait sessions. It looks like you got some great stuff! (You should have seen my first portraits! Disaster!!! But my favorite overall is definitely the first one! You made him look super swag.

Thanks for the advice! All these were natural lighting. The second one was under a bridge she was crouching on, so the light was peering through and hitting her right in the face, hah.

As for the third, she was just brushing her hair away from her neck, it was a pretty candid moment.

Here's a similar one, same lighting. Straight off the camera, no edits.. Like it better?

TUGD5bH.jpg?1

The last one I'm pretty bummed about because I was shooting at f/1.4 which made everything super soft (we were underground and set off a smoke bomb that threw the autofocus off as well), but the background is something I want to play around with in other shoots

Thanks for the advice! All these were natural lighting. The second one was under a bridge she was crouching on, so the light was peering through and hitting her right in the face, hah.

As for the third, she was just brushing her hair away from her neck, it was a pretty candid moment.

Here's a similar one, same lighting. Straight off the camera, no edits.. Like it better?

TUGD5bH.jpg?1

The last one I'm pretty bummed about because I was shooting at f/1.4 which made everything super soft (we were underground and set off a smoke bomb that threw the autofocus off as well), but the background is something I want to play around with in other shoots

I definitely think this one is stronger. :) And ya, the background was cool! Definitely go for that again.

Developed two rolls from my Sure Shot today. Pretty happy with how they turned out. Minus the insane amount of dust in the lens, but I guess it adds to the charm. All of this was shot on Fujifilm Superia X-tra 400. They are nothing super special, just trying to get in the habit of shooting again. Hoping to do some portrait sessions soon.

You can see more of them HERE

15871988662_14c45e7eea_z.jpg

15871989892_22ce782e3b_z.jpg

15685291530_776814d3ea_z.jpg

15250369184_dc17d18d94_z.jpg

15252962923_f4d0315271_z.jpg

15846803436_86f1e5057f_z.jpg

15685284160_c652d10c6f_z.jpg

15686851557_ec8a3bd207_z.jpg

15846804876_c705dacc4c_z.jpg

15685111428_52f4954363_z.jpg

Daw. Thanks Chris & Sean. I appreciate it.

Deadreckoning, these are crazy! Are they alive, dead? I'm scared! They look awesome though

Those are great, tess! Though dust in the lens won't show up on your images. Chances are the dust is on the shutter and/or the film plane.

OR the dust is on the machine that scanned the film.

Those are great, tess! Though dust in the lens won't show up on your images. Chances are the dust is on the shutter and/or the film plane.

OR the dust is on the machine that scanned the film.

Thanks! Ya it could be any of those things. I got it developed at walgreens because I was unsure how they would turn out.

Ah, Walgreens (shudders). They screwed up my prints one too many times.

They have even screwed up my developing before. I would never get any printing done there again but these were just test rolls from a camera I wasn't sure was working correctly. So I was fine with it. Normally I take my film to a local place