The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

So I hate landscape photography.  Well, I don't hate it, but I hate taking photos of nature and landscape.  It's just not my strong suit.  My boyfriend's father is always raving about how he takes his dog on all these walks and how it's "perfect for photography"  and he's always asking us along with him since it's "a photographer's dream."  Ugh.  For some reason my boyfriend decided to say yes to him when there's a foot of snow.

That's where these photos came from.

vyo67p.jpg

w12sye.jpg

11qpbv8.jpg

16j4mdf.jpg

2rd9kex.jpg

t50x9u.jpg

2w50vh4.jpg

30lfgnk.jpg

excellent. thanks!! 

i love using that orangy tone, like the summer vibe..i have to break myself from it..especially when its winter and cold.

a little trick i use for a warmer feel, and guys almost touched base on it, but changing your white balance to "shade" / or "shadows" when shooting. And then if its too warm or not enough still very easy to fix in post. sorry if you guys did mention that. i read it fast and im tired. trying to find some photos to post.

So I hate landscape photography.  Well, I don't hate it, but I hate taking photos of nature and landscape.  It's just not my strong suit.  My boyfriend's father is always raving about how he takes his dog on all these walks and how it's "perfect for photography"  and he's always asking us along with him since it's "a photographer's dream."  Ugh.  For some reason my boyfriend decided to say yes to him when there's a foot of snow.

That's where these photos came from.

vyo67p.jpg

w12sye.jpg

11qpbv8.jpg

16j4mdf.jpg

2rd9kex.jpg

t50x9u.jpg

2w50vh4.jpg

30lfgnk.jpg

im not even gonna call these landscape or nature. they are to an extent, but its not landscape. this is small documentary piece. its cool, and just enough for me to know what happened with a nice edit to them. im not a fan of landscape photography either. or maybe its just the term. i dont wanna get into detail, ill end up getting angry, haha.  there's nothing wrong with it all, I take photos of sunsets and mountains (or whatever) all the time, i love them, but I don't brand myself or specialize in landscape. sure as hell not gonna take credit for a sunset that presented itself to me. "you captured the sunset so beautifully, those colors!" -vomit.

A few shots from the snow emergency apocalypse hoopla thing that occurred Sunday here in Indianapolis.

11859751506_3a601ea845_c.jpg

11859436564_79416711d9_c.jpg

yeah those color pops are wicked. nicely done.

made a new action, testing it out on my favorite subject.

1b_zpsad4e5d3a.jpg

similar to what i said about landscape shots, and someone mentioned earlier, how is it possible to take a bad photo of baby? 

haha, but this different man, the focus, the expression, nothing wrong with the edit, not a traditional shot. very candid. i like it. and yes the eyes are wicked. for me its probably the way the catch lights are. they have a cool shape and definitely make the eyes pop more. im sure you tried but with the contrast already with this photo it could make a cool b/w.

side blurb - sometimes i dont make my photos b/w because i just feel like its too common or such a go to edit. with all "photographers" but then i make them black and white and i dig it, haha. there's a lot to do to make a perfect b/w photo, more than just dumping the saturation. once its b/w theres so many more options its cool. sorry for my rants. i miss school and this all we did was talk photo and i dont have that anymore. 

heres some recent shots

this is henry, showing off his new winter collection. Sterling, CT / 70-200mm 2.8

1532062_10151838735526889_1449075390_o_b

Jonathan Vigil after performing the song "white light". A song dedicated to his brother that passed away. Worcester, MA / 16-35mm 2.8

white_light_by_henster311-d729hyh.jpg

Making fire with my pops. Example of shooting with the "shade" white balance. Sterling, CT / 16-35mm 2.8

dad_by_henster311-d729ide.jpg

Some friends at the Wall. Hampton, NH / 70-200mm w/ cropped sensor, roughly 320mm

906768_10151730263511889_952689416_o_by_

im not even gonna call these landscape or nature. they are to an extent, but its not landscape. this is small documentary piece. its cool, and just enough for me to know what happened with a nice edit to them. im not a fan of landscape photography either. or maybe its just the term. i dont wanna get into detail, ill end up getting angry, haha.  there's nothing wrong with it all, I take photos of sunsets and mountains (or whatever) all the time, i love them, but I don't brand myself or specialize in landscape. sure as hell not gonna take credit for a sunset that presented itself to me. "you captured the sunset so beautifully, those colors!" -vomit.

I'm glad we share the same ideals on ~landscape photos! :)

Also, you have no idea how much of a compliment for me it is to hear you call my work "a small documentary piece." Thank you!!

heres some recent shots

this is henry, showing off his new winter collection. Sterling, CT / 70-200mm 2.8

1532062_10151838735526889_1449075390_o_b

Jonathan Vigil after performing the song "white light". A song dedicated to his brother that passed away. Worcester, MA / 16-35mm 2.8

white_light_by_henster311-d729hyh.jpg

Making fire with my pops. Example of shooting with the "shade" white balance. Sterling, CT / 16-35mm 2.8

dad_by_henster311-d729ide.jpg

Some friends at the Wall. Hampton, NH / 70-200mm w/ cropped sensor, roughly 320mm

906768_10151730263511889_952689416_o_by_

I love your photography so much.  Your style is so distinct (I've said this before) and I can never firmly place my finger on what it is about it that makes it so different and appealing to me.  But holy crap, that photo of Jonathan Vigil is intense - great shot!

I have a 70-200 2.8 on layaway currently.  I'm just about halfway done paying it off. =[ lol

I used to be a photog, now I coach women's volleyball... makes sense right... Here are a couple of my shots. 

3238742649_7ed9d92954_b.jpg?t=1389808900
When Nick Swardson came to KSU

2858394242_7de63d8659_o.jpg?t=1389808900
When Cartel came to my college as well.

2878358400_f65d6e4fc3_b.jpg?t=1389808901
One of my favorite shots from when I was in New Orleans.

4355659224_8b16b271f4_b.jpg?t=1389808900
One of my favorite portraits I did while @ KSU.

Last one, I worked on a fashion spread for a magazine. Thought this one was pretty sick.
3584618942_5209b0fc69_b.jpg?t=1389808902

I used to be a photog, now I coach women's volleyball... makes sense right... Here are a couple of my shots. 

3238742649_7ed9d92954_b.jpg?t=1389808900

When Nick Swardson came to KSU

4355659224_8b16b271f4_b.jpg?t=1389808900

One of my favorite portraits I did while @ KSU.

the KSU player is well done, a nice sports editorial. The dof of Swardsons gesture is nice. And you completely captured the right feel to the last photo.

what did you use for lighting on the KSU player?

I'm glad we share the same ideals on ~landscape photos! :)

Also, you have no idea how much of a compliment for me it is to hear you call my work "a small documentary piece." Thank you!!

haha no problem. a few times a week during school my teacher would make me go out and find something or someone to document, and to be able to have the viewer know whats happening in the fewest photos possible. you did that just now. doing those assignments helped me learn to narrow down my edits.

I love your photography so much.  Your style is so distinct (I've said this before) and I can never firmly place my finger on what it is about it that makes it so different and appealing to me.  But holy crap, that photo of Jonathan Vigil is intense - great shot!

I have a 70-200 2.8 on layaway currently.  I'm just about halfway done paying it off. =[ lol

thank you, haha...you have told me that before. people ask me what my style is and I usually say photojournalism / documentary, but sometimes i say with a little bit of fine art. only because that was my minor, but i dunno. we all have our own style and no one really knows why we shoot the way we do. and would we really wanna know? i wouldn't want too.

you'll the love 70-200. is it 2.8? its a must have lens for sure. are you shooting on a cropped sensor?