The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

haha no problem. a few times a week during school my teacher would make me go out and find something or someone to document, and to be able to have the viewer know whats happening in the fewest photos possible. you did that just now. doing those assignments helped me learn to narrow down my edits.

thank you, haha...you have told me that before. people ask me what my style is and I usually say photojournalism / documentary, but sometimes i say with a little bit of fine art. only because that was my minor, but i dunno. we all have our own style and no one really knows why we shoot the way we do. and would we really wanna know? i wouldn't want too.

you'll the love 70-200. is it 2.8? its a must have lens for sure. are you shooting on a cropped sensor? 

Good point, I don't think I want to know why I shoot the way I do, haha.

Yes! It's the 2.8L USM IS II.  It's not cropped, no.  I have a Canon 5D Mk II.

great stuff hempy

am i hempy? haha

Good point, I don't think I want to know why I shoot the way I do, haha.

Yes! It's the 2.8L USM IS II.  It's not cropped, no.  I have a Canon 5D Mk II.

nice, i always felt its a tad more crisp on a full frame. but that could just be me and my cameras. whenever i shoot with my mk2 w/ the 70-200 it has a natural vignette, which i like. again, could be my gear.

am i hempy? haha

nice, i always felt its a tad more crisp on a full frame. but that could just be me and my cameras. whenever i shoot with my mk2 w/ the 70-200 it has a natural vignette, which i like. again, could be my gear.

No I agree with you.  It's easily the sharpest lens I've ever shot with.  I took these of Foster The People with a 70-200 that I borrowed from the camera shop I used to work at:

2iuq3ck.jpg

1072lgl.jpg

50s3s1.jpg

the KSU player is well done, a nice sports editorial. The dof of Swardsons gesture is nice. And you completely captured the right feel to the last photo.

what did you use for lighting on the KSU player?

Thanks guys, I used three speedlites, one in a large soft box over head and cross lighting the other two left going deep right and right going shallow left.

Yeah that KSU photo is pretty killer.

Some of the photos seem to be too red, while the last one is a tad too magenta. (In the skin tones I mean.) This could be the same issue Charlie had with the color profiles. Check to make sure it's sRGB for web.

These were prepped for paper use with light red print so we had to adjust for the print and I never got around to refining.

the bw cat is real nice 

have you tried doing an HDR with the second shot? or at least multiple frames? its a fun shot though 

the last has nice dof but its a little dark for me, what is it exactly? looks like a cool little area 

Hey thanks!

i actually tried the second image as an HDR but i just couldn't get behind the way it turned out. 

both the second and third image are from The Japanese Gardens in Portland. It was considerably dark and cold in there, despite it being around 2pm. 

i looked at the rest and my favorite is the only bw one of her. but for me its a little too dark. lighting on her chest is nice but maybe bump the shadows up? 

in the ones you posted here #2 and #4 stand out. #2 her hair and composition, her hand is a little awkward though. i understand is was probably a gust of wind and couldnt do it again type of shot. 

#4 because of her expression mainly / overall body language, and that little piece of bokeh. 

what lens are you using for these? looking good

i looked at the rest and my favorite is the only bw one of her. but for me its a little too dark. lighting on her chest is nice but maybe bump the shadows up? 

in the ones you posted here #2 and #4 stand out. #2 her hair and composition, her hand is a little awkward though. i understand is was probably a gust of wind and couldnt do it again type of shot. 

#4 because of her expression mainly / overall body language, and that little piece of bokeh. 

what lens are you using for these? looking good

Yeah i might play with the exposure on a couple of em. I am using a 35L, 50L, 85L for all my portrait work, and this set was a mixture of the 3. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah i might play with the exposure on a couple of em. I am using a 35L, 50L, 85L for all my portrait work, and this set was a mixture of the 3. 

Thanks for the feedback!

nice, i was gonna ask if you were using the 85. my next lens is gonna be the 35. but sigmas. ive shot with both canon's and sigma's 35 1.4 and sigma out performed for me. and its cheaper. so sharp!

what 50 do you have?

no problem on the feedback, like i said before its all we did in school and i miss it. we would spend hours looking at each others works. it was awesome. 

I have the 50mm f/1.2. I can't imagine ever being without it again. I have heard the Sigma 35mm is one of the best lenses around, my next lens is going to be the Canon 135mm f/2. i am addicted to that sweet sweet bokeh!

nice, i only rent the 1.2 haha. i use the 1.4. but i was so impressed with the $99 1.8. yeah ive heard good things with 135 a lot of portrait people and even some sports photogs use it. 

these photos are great BUT i have to comment on the inconsistency in whatever post production you're doing. it looks like you're using vsco film presets (but i could be totally off base there), which is great, stylistically, for the kind of photos you're taking, but it looks like you're using different ones to get different looks on each photo, so the set isn't nearly as cohesive as it could/should be. just my opinion! but seriously, nice bokeh, etc etc.

That's completely true! The model will be using these for her portfolio as well and requested a few different styles, hence the inconsistency. I've spent the past year or so trying to develop my signature style. Now that she has a set for herself, i was leaning towards going back and editing the set to the color profile found in this one. 

12164222834_eb293a3fcc_c.jpg

Thank you guys a ton for the feedback! sometimes i have these ideas in my head but need someone to confirm that i'm not being neurotic.