The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

I'm shooting with a Nikon D7000 and a Nikkor 18-200mm lens. Very happy with what I get out of it.

Some places like staples have document mailers designed for photos. I think they have plastic inside them. I've passed them by before wondering the same thing. I think you would have to write "Do not fold!" all over it though. The prints I'm going to be dealing with someday are larger scale so I'm looking at tubes from Uline. I'd suggest checking out their site for any supplies.

That'd be awesome! Trading sounds fun.

What print are you going to be selling?

In the past when I worked at a photo shop I would stick two cardboard pieces in a yellow document folder with the print in between with tissue paper-like paper wrapped around the print. (multiple prints face eachother.)

yeah, i was thinking about just heading to staples and seeing what they got. and writing "do not bend" all over it. but initially i thought i could just grab two pieces of cardboard, but i dont want it be some bootleg looking thing haha. knowing me anything DIY is kinda iffy. 

thanks dudes, ill keep these things in mind. will definitely help

javalive, a photo of vigil from the ghost inside during his "white light". only really pushing to sell it because so many people have asked me and he wants to do some charity auctions with a few, so i want this to be good! haha. minus the watermark.

white_light_by_henster311-d729hyh.jpg

The bridge/micro 4:3 cameras are ridiculous!  I have an Olympus E-P2 that I absolutely love.  I don't have money for any of the lenses, but I use the pancake lens on it all the time.

I'm gonna hop on the 4:3 train here pretty quick. I'm not much of a photographer but I want to try and take more photos this year. Not sure what kind of camera I'll get. I've heard good things about the Olympus stuff, but mostly related to their higher end model.

if money is a factor, i'd definitely consider something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV3XH9W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2DWEHGD3W6DGU&coliid=I2OF45XXOV81PB

i personally love fuji and think they take great photos, generally speaking.

yeah, i was thinking about just heading to staples and seeing what they got. and writing "do not bend" all over it. but initially i thought i could just grab two pieces of cardboard, but i dont want it be some bootleg looking thing haha. knowing me anything DIY is kinda iffy. 

thanks dudes, ill keep these things in mind. will definitely help

javalive, a photo of vigil from the ghost inside during his "white light". only really pushing to sell it because so many people have asked me and he wants to do some charity auctions with a few, so i want this to be good! haha. minus the watermark.

white_light_by_henster311-d729hyh.jpg

Not really a fan of theirs but that photo is great! Really love the yellow and blue. Makes the image look so damn good in color!

dont be afraid to post! critique is key for everyone

Too true.

Ok. Well. I used to do a lot of commercial work (ie. weddings, portraits etc.) and I actually did the photography for a university for a yearish... and I got super burned out. So. I sold my beloved digital camera and I have gone back to strictly film and it has been amazing. I am still trying to figure out a voice but here is some more recent stuff. I try not to do any digital editing (because I seriously hate working in photoshop and lightroom). If I do any, it is just for slight brightness / color adjustments. Any feedback is appreciated. Cheers!

8756095280_ee0a1ef902_z.jpg

8754988031_c0412cca65_z.jpg

8754978327_c2a7084bfc_z.jpg

9293741574_89d43bf3fe_z.jpg

12403500634_5ed7e532d0_z.jpg

9303432786_ac396da988_z.jpg

9290945575_743df38c31_z.jpg

Too true.

Ok. Well. I used to do a lot of commercial work (ie. weddings, portraits etc.) and I actually did the photography for a university for a yearish... and I got super burned out. So. I sold my beloved digital camera and I have gone back to strictly film and it has been amazing. I am still trying to figure out a voice but here is some more recent stuff. I try not to do any digital editing (because I seriously hate working in photoshop and lightroom). If I do any, it is just for slight brightness / color adjustments. Any feedback is appreciated. Cheers!

8756095280_ee0a1ef902_z.jpg

8754988031_c0412cca65_z.jpg

8754978327_c2a7084bfc_z.jpg

9293741574_89d43bf3fe_z.jpg

12403500634_5ed7e532d0_z.jpg

9303432786_ac396da988_z.jpg

9290945575_743df38c31_z.jpgh

looks good. framing, exposure, details in the blacks. when it comes to your voice, i wouldnt really go looking for it. just keep shooting and dont over think it. things will fall into place, you might not notice it, or maybe you will. my theory, or whatever, behind why we shoot what we shoot is all subconscious and in our minds. i dont think we'll ever know the finer details on why we shoot certain things. more than composition, framing and even subject matter. we all have a style. its there. one time in school a teacher stopped me and asked to see my current work, showed them and they pointed out all these little things that i had been doing with my shots. such little things, that i never even knew. or saw in the frame. it was awesome. sorry if im not making sense, its late, haha.

as for editing, i dont do too much. i use lightroom. ive always hated using PS. but when shooting for the newspapers, and filing shots to the editor as im shooting, i have no time to edit and just hope they like it, haha. i do miss shooting film though. i havent shot since 2009 i believe. i loved shooting in school because i was able to process and develop whenever. had so much fun being in the darkroom. ahh the chemicals!

looks good. framing, exposure, details in the blacks. when it comes to your voice, i wouldnt really go looking for it. just keep shooting and dont over think it. things will fall into place, you might not notice it, or maybe you will. my theory, or whatever, behind why we shoot what we shoot is all subconscious and in our minds. i dont think we'll ever know the finer details on why we shoot certain things. more than composition, framing and even subject matter. we all have a style. its there. one time in school a teacher stopped me and asked to see my current work, showed them and they pointed out all these little things that i had been doing with my shots. such little things, that i never even knew. or saw in the frame. it was awesome. sorry if im not making sense, its late, haha.

as for editing, i dont do too much. i use lightroom. ive always hated using PS. but when shooting for the newspapers, and filing shots to the editor as im shooting, i have no time to edit and just hope they like it, haha. i do miss shooting film though. i havent shot since 2009 i believe. i loved shooting in school because i was able to process and develop whenever. had so much fun being in the darkroom. ahh the chemicals!

I totally get what you are saying. When I was taking an intro film class my prof kept pointing out my obsession with symmetry, triangles and breaking photography rules. I am such a rebel. ;) You are so right though. After all of my terrible experiences working with clients I have the tendency to over think things. I was really happy with this roll of film because I didn't take it too seriously, and I just enjoyed one of my favorite dilapidated buildings (which is now torn down)... also cow.  Haha

Film is so fun. You should pick it up for yourself again! It has been very therapeutic for me. And yes. That chemical smell is like no other. I have been shooting color (which isn't too bad a price to get developed nowadays) but I miss b&w. I have a darkroom set up, just nowhere to set it up currently.

I love those images, Tess.

Thank you! I really appreciate that coming from you. I have really enjoyed looking at your work.

The double exposure is probably my favorite!

Thank you, Logan! I'll tell you a secret... It's.... a selfie. Haha. I literally had no friends when I moved to where I am currently living and my camera was my best friend for a while.  I love taking portraits, so when I don't have someone to take a picture of ... well. haha Double exposures on film are so fun and unpredictable but I was pretty happy with how this one turned out.

Guys I paid off my 70-200 2.8 on Friday!! Now I'm going to sell my 24-70. If anyone wants it let me know

YES!! happy for ya dude, have fun with it. 

first time i shot with it, it was on back a media truck shooting a womens 5k race in boston. my forearms were on fire haha

would anybody be into something like a weekly themed shot that we all try to create and share?

for example: snow. then we all take an interesting pic of snow during the week and then we can discuss. 

idk, just putting it out there!

yes totally. im down, these are cool and can be really fun.

we did similar things in school but we had a time limit of 20 minutes to shoot, edit and share. it was fun, sometimes we came up with complete shit.