PO: Windhand - Soma [9/17]

Sec: Garrett said they were only given red copies to sell on tour. He said they were just given the go ahead to sell Soma on tour within the last day or so via email from someone at Relpase who basically told them not to tell people they're selling it but they can have it out on the table.

Here's my haul from tonight:

1185292_10153261365175354_468883434_n.jp

Plus a really cool cream shirt with the design from my avatar which is also the poster on the left pictured and a few shots of vodka in my liver. Almost saw a menu in time to order some chicken fingers but they stopped food at 10PM. Both posters and gatefold signed by each member.

I also got a couple of pictures with everyone in the band. The one from my phone is pure shit quality so I'll wait til I get the one from my buddies awesome camera to post it. Had some significantly long chats with everybody but mostly with Garrett. They're all ridiculously nice and cool people.

Set list:

Orchard

Woodbine

Feral Bones

Winter Sun

Cassock

I'm pretty sure that was it. Super loud, super fuzz cloudy. Excellent show and overall experience.

Marmora were awesome and Mount Salem were great too.

lucky you that you got to grab the record mcpherson!  Hope it sounds awesome!  That poster you got is from a Pittsburgh artist Budai who did that specifically for the show I went to a few days back.  His prints rule.  Glad to see they are still selling them and passing on the glory that is his stuff all over the US

And hilariously enough, today as I'm leaving for work I see my Relapse order for Soma on the porch! Even if they hadn't had it at the show I would have had it by today. Its been a damn nice 15 hours or so. I didn't listen to the whole album yet but I played sides A and B and finally heard "Evergreen" and it was way better than I imagined it was going to be. "Feral Bones" feels a little weird but its still a great rockin' track. I'm going to really enjoy getting familiar with this record. Can't wait to hear "Boleskine"...

That poster is awesome. I'm so glad I grabbed it and especially glad I got it signed. I'm going to be framing those for sure.

And hilariously enough, today as I'm leaving for work I see my Relapse order for Soma on the porch! Even if they hadn't had it at the show I would have had it by today. Its been a damn nice 15 hours or so. I didn't listen to the whole album yet but I played sides A and B and finally heard "Evergreen" and it was way better than I imagined it was going to be. "Feral Bones" feels a little weird but its still a great rockin' track. I'm going to really enjoy getting familiar with this record. Can't wait to hear "Boleskine"...

That poster is awesome. I'm so glad I grabbed it and especially glad I got it signed. I'm going to be framing those for sure.

My copy arrived too as well as the new Ulcerate.

I'm working on a trade with someone right now but I don't think its finalized. Do you know something? I also talked to Garrett from Windhand and he said he would keep looking into it for me.

I haven't found anything but I'm always searching for one so I can let you know.

So I finally listened to the whole album in one sitting last night and I have to say, I'm super impressed and happy with it. I was imagining that as a stylistic change for them (as many reviews insisted this album marked a number of changes) there might at least be some dual lead guitar harmonizing while the bass takes on the riff duties on its own but to my dismay they haven't quite branched into that direction. Their sound really begs for it (QOTSA style harmonies, not Maiden) and if they picked up the pace around 5 BPM or a little more for a good chunk of their material they would absolutely dominate. "Boleskine" felt a bit draggy due to the pace but since listening to it again today, I've come to accept and really appreciate it regardless of the slowness which was always a big hurdle for me when getting into this band but I've since come to accept that as well in general but that doesn't mean I wouldn't cream over them speeding things up.

I don't mean to be completely negative (there's a good vibe going on in this thread for a well deserved band!) but I missed out on the Electric Blue pre-order (I was moving and funds were extremely low) and I go about checking the secondary market since the company site says they are sold out. Only to find that the company is selling copies on discogs for nearly double the price. How can they be "sold out" if they are selling them?

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Windhand-Soma/118941366?ev=wh

Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to the world of vinyl collecting and I'm fully aware that the company is a business, their sole purpose is to make money and in that same vein they can pretty much do whatever they want. BUT it's more than a little frustrating that I can't purchase it through regular means but they can sell it on a secondary site for double price. Anyone else feel the burn?

P.S. They're also selling the Clear version for crazy amounts

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Windhand-Soma/119612040?ev=bp_titl

I don't mean to be completely negative (there's a good vibe going on in this thread for a well deserved band!) but I missed out on the Electric Blue pre-order (I was moving and funds were extremely low) and I go about checking the secondary market since the company site says they are sold out. Only to find that the company is selling copies on discogs for nearly double the price. How can they be "sold out" if they are selling them?

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Windhand-Soma/118941366?ev=wh

Disclaimer: I'm relatively new to the world of vinyl collecting and I'm fully aware that the company is a business, their sole purpose is to make money and in that same vein they can pretty much do whatever they want. BUT it's more than a little frustrating that I can't purchase it through regular means but they can sell it on a secondary site for double price. Anyone else feel the burn?

P.S. They're also selling the Clear version for crazy amounts

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/Windhand-Soma/119612040?ev=bp_titl

Welcome. Most of us are aware of Relapse's shady shit. And like you, most of us are pretty bummed about it.

• 1 month later...

Well, my first post here, spontaneously being about Windhand, hey, why not? :-)

I have the transparent blue pressing of Soma and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem. I hope I am saying this right (i am a belgian and english is only my 3rd language), but on Side 2 it seems to be a bad pressing. The needle shifts from side to side (moving about half a centimeter) which gives Evergreen a guitarsound that is out of key and way tooo slow. towards the end of the song it gets really annoying, just sounding false... i have listened to Evergreen on Spotify and it does seem to be different and in tune there. So if you have the blue one, can you check it out for me please if you hear the same?

Also Boleskine has an endless groove runout which is kinda cool :-)

i love WIndhand since their ST debut (have the white 2nd pressing). They are playing n Holland next week, lookinf forward to that and to Roadburn next year.

I have a red and a black. Both of them play correctly on pitch on all 4 sides. The problem you are having is something that happens sometimes with vinyl records. It is very annoying for me when I notice this. I have not heard anyone report about having this issue on an electric blue copy so far. Hopefully you can get a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a red and a black. Both of them play correctly on pitch on all 4 sides. The problem you are having is something that happens sometimes with vinyl records. It is very annoying for me when I notice this. I have not heard anyone report about having this issue on an electric blue copy so far. Hopefully you can get a replacement.

Thx for the info... I am not going after a replacement with Relapse, sticking with a special limited mispress blue edition ;-) I have bought a new black vinyl pressing at their show two days ago. Totally down to earth people, really friendly, doing their own merch... It was great to meet them. The show was good, althought Little Devil is a small rock cafe in Tilburg with a terrible sound. But it was a good show, they played a solid set. Really looking forward to their Roadburn show in April...