PO: Windhand - Soma [9/17]

So, Relapse has pressed another run of these and damn does that render look delicious. From Piratespress:

This repress of WINDHAND’s ‘Soma’ is definitely a looker… ‘Olive Green’ / ‘Kelly Green’ AsideBside Vinyl w/ Orange Crush and Halloween Orange Splatter?!? Yes, please.

RR7236-1.jpg

Relapse also supposedly discovered 40 more of the black 180g recently but they've sold out again by now. Bummed. One goes for 45€ on Discogs. Either way, it's difficult to justify getting it straight from them. The shipping they offer is some of the most expensive available from the US. Shipping one record costs as much as the record itself. Very silly. They should get a better stocked EU distro.

Wish they did all their vinyl on 180. That would be some expensive stuff though.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! I love Windhand, just saw them play at Maryland Deathfest... They were fantastic as usual... I got this beauty at the show...

photo.jpg

I actually have a question for those of you that bought the Soma album that came with that clean designed patch... I've been looking all over the internet and merch tables... but I cannot find that patch and I would really love to own one... So if any of you would be kind enough or interested in selling one that'd be awesome... Please hit me up and let me know at... [email protected]

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen them since March but they're coming to Chicago on Wednesday. They usually have all their vinyl and CD's with them. I don't know why they wouldn't this time.

Also Riding Easy announced there will be a Windhand/Salem's Pot split out on Halloween. I hope its all new stuff.

10599242_918806231470574_669983640628414

I haven't seen them since March but they're coming to Chicago on Wednesday. They usually have all their vinyl and CD's with them. I don't know why they wouldn't this time.

Also Riding Easy announced there will be a Windhand/Salem's Pot split out on Halloween. I hope its all new stuff.

10599242_918806231470574_669983640628414

Good gravy, that sounds awesome!

Talked to Garrett when I saw Windhand on Wednesday and he said they were gonna play the new split track that night and they did plus another new song. He also mentioned they'll be recording the new LP this March in Seattle with Jack Endino. The split track is called "Forest Clouds" and it was awesome even though my memory of it is hazy because its super loud when they play and I was considerably intoxicated. I just remember thinking it was awesome. The second new song was a surprise. I just knew I was hearing something unfamiliar. Still was a killer song.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the other track was something off their split with Cough? When they played here I also failed to recognize it but Mr Morris told me after the show that it was Amaranth from Reflection Of the Negative. Or maybe it was Athame...not sure anymore. Probably neither of them if he told you it was a new track though. Garrett seems like a straight-up dude. Really stoked to meet him.

New Windhand makes me so excited. Forest Clouds is probably my favourite track from them. It's a bit scary that a riff can be so good they're having a hard time setting it back down so it's better just to fade out the jam altogether. I'm usually not into fade-outs but I really can't imagine them ending it any other way. And Dorthia's vocals have some extra quality to them on it. Somewhat reminds me of how she sings on her solo stuff. Morris also hinted that her solo album might be coming out soon(ish) so definitely look out for that as well. For anyone not having listened yet - https://dorthia.bandcamp.com/

The split pre-order will go live any minute now so anyone wanting one, keep your eye out for it !

http://ridingeasyrecords.com/

*Edit - okay it's up now

http://ridingeasyrecords.com/product/windhandsalems-pot-halloween-split-10/

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the other track was something off their split with Cough? When they played here I also failed to recognize it but Mr Morris told me after the show that it was Amaranth from Reflection Of the Negative. Or maybe it was Athame...not sure anymore. Probably neither of them if he told you it was a new track though. Garrett seems like a straight-up dude. Really stoked to meet him.

New Windhand makes me so excited. Forest Clouds is probably my favourite track from them. It's a bit scary that a riff can be so good they're having a hard time setting it back down so it's better just to fade out the jam altogether. I'm usually not into fade-outs but I really can't imagine them ending it any other way. And Dorthia's vocals have some extra quality to them on it. Somewhat reminds me of how she sings on her solo stuff. Morris also hinted that her solo album might be coming out soon(ish) so definitely look out for that as well. For anyone not having listened yet - https://dorthia.bandcamp.com/

The split pre-order will go live any minute now so anyone wanting one, keep your eye out for it !

http://ridingeasyrecords.com/

*Edit - okay it's up now

http://ridingeasyrecords.com/product/windhandsalems-pot-halloween-split-10/

He confirmed for me that it was another new song that night. It did remind me of "Amaranth" from what I can remember but at some point I knew it wasn't that. "Athame" is actually the Cough song. The other Windhand track on that split is called "Shepherd's Crook." Garrett is the fuckin' man. Such a nice a guy and always willing to chat. There's definitely some heavier than normal production on Dorthia's voice on "Forest Clouds." I dig it. I also usually do not care for fade out's particularly in this type of music but it works pretty well on this track.

• 1 month later...