State of the Union 6

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

For those of you not familiar with my State of the Unions, I used to make these posts as a forum to discuss the things going on with my label (Suburban Home), my Vinyl imprint (Vinyl Collective), and other happenings in my life. The posts are usually very long so make sure you have some time on your hands if you decide to read further. If you do, know that I usually discuss the inner workings of all of my endeavors for whatever that’s worth.

It has been nearly 9 months since the last time I made a state of the union. here goes nothing:

I am still in utter shock and disbelief that our Vinyl Cooperative sold out in 8 minutes. It is really exciting for me to have this idea not only take form but to also get the overwhelming response it has received. It has also been frustrating to see know that so many great people missed out from the insane numbers of people who got involved. Hopefully the lottery we are doing will help a few more good folks get in.

Today, we are hosting another Punk Rock Flea Market at 3 Kings Tavern. Being a semi-insomniac and waking up at 4:30 am will make this one of the longest days of my life. Kyle, a former Suburban Home employee, is in town for his bachelor's party and I have lined up a few surprise acts to play the flea market in his honor. We are keeping it a secret, but if you live in the area, I highly recommend you come out; it should be really rad. Our Flea Market received the Best flea market of Denver award in Westword magazine which is so cool. I would have never guessed such an honor would be bestowed so early. The summer months should a really good time for the Flea Market.

Let's being by talking about Suburban Home. We signed a new band, they are called Ninja Gun. The band are not only super sweet dudes, but the music, wow what a band. I think that their sound would fit perfectly on the Sub Pop roster, but lucky for us, we are getting an opportunity to work with them. They are from South Georgia, but Gainesville is their second home. I have talked to a lot of friends from Florida who are so excited for their new album. We will be releasing their album, "Restless Rubes" on June 24th, 2008, and will be doing a co-release for their vinyl with Barracuda Sound, the label who put out Ninja Guns' first album. June 24th promises to be a big day for Suburban Home as we will also be releasing LaGrecia's debut album, "On Parallels". I have been listening to the recording non-stop and can say without hesitation that this could be Jason Shevchuk's best work. I don't want to gush too much, but this album is exactly what the world needs right now. You may have noticed the cover art I posted above, how sweet does it look? Sal, the band's bass player is also a bad ass graphic designer/illustrator and has done stuff with Flight of the Conchords, Pepsi, Helio, and many many more. The art is gonna look so sick on an LP jacket. We are about to release the debut album from one our other newest bands, Jr Juggernaut. At this point, we are only putting out the album on CD on April 29th. The album, "Ghost Poison" rocks. If you dig bands like Husker Du, the Replacements, and Uncle Tupelo, this record will be right up your alley. The guys are great dudes and if we lived in the same town, i am sure my liver would ache more than it already does. Stereotyperider are in Denver mixing their upcoming album with Mr Chris Fogal (former singer of the Gamits) which we will be releasing on Vinyl and digital only. Not sure if you have ever listened to these guys, but they are absolutely incredible but for whatever reason, they just never got the attention I feel they deserve. They are playing with Hot Water Music in their hometown, Phoenix, so they do have that going for them.

On the topic of shows/tours for our bands, there is so much going on. I just found out that Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground will be doing a full U.S. tour with Rx Bandits and Portugal the Man. They are coming to Denver which is super rad. I could not imagine a better first tour for these guys. They are also playing Sasquatch in Seattle where they will be playing with Flight of the Conchords which is so cool. Drag the River have another east cost weekend planned which is great to see. They have also committed to playing Suburban Home's 13th anniversary in September. I am working on getting a lot of our bands out for that. The Playing Favorites are in Japan right now having an absolute blast, I am sure. Tim Barry is diong a tour with Bouncing Souls and Gaslight Anthem, man I would kill to see those shows. Jr. Juggernaut have an album release show no at Spaceland on May 1st. Ninja Gun are booking their first tour in support of the new album; and they can actually use some help with some of the dates. If you are able to help, please drop those guys a line.

The new offices have been great and we are all adjusting nicely to having space. I just bought a pool table (for only $300!) which is going to be so cool when we are entertaining some of our bands. I love playing pool and can't wait to settle any inner office problems on the billiards table. We are picking it up on Sunday which should be a lot of work, but when we have it all set up, oh man, watch out! Still looking for a couch, an entertainment center, a stereo receiver, and some other odds and ends. If anyone locally has something they want to sell us, let me know. Trying to get stuff used to save a few bucks. We hope to have a first Friday party on May 2nd and everyone is invited.

We just updated our staff profiles on the Suburban Home site. In case you are curious what we listen to, read, and love, stop by here,

http://www.suburbanhomerecords.com/staff/

Now on the topic of Vinyl Collective, man, there are so many things to discuss. Let's start with our split 7" series which is coming together nicely. We just confirmed the Gaslight Anthem w/ American Steel. Can I get a fuck yeah? Not sure if I mentioned this before, but we have commissioned Mitch Clem to illustrate all of the 7" covers which will feature his own renditions of the original album art that the songs being covered originally appeared. Make sense? There will be 2 covers for each 7", one on each side for each act. I also am leaning towards not having this be a subscription 7" series. As some acts are close to finishing their recordings, and others are a long way off, I fear that getting these 7"s to come out every month might not happen and would rather just focus on putting out great records when they are ready to go. Expect the Fake Problems / Look Mexico and the Teenage Bottlerocket / Ergs! splits sooner than later.

I spoke to Ray from Teenage Bottlerocket yesterday and he was kind enough to mention that on pretty much every day on the tour, people from the Vinyl Collective message board have been coming up to him to talk shop. he also said that "Warning Device" will soon be out which urged me to get in touch with Red Scare and Lumberjack to make sure we have a ton of copies. Expect a pre-order soon and expect Ray to put together a nice little contest package of really rare bottlerocket vinyl. Man, I love those guys. I am gonna see them this next week in Denver and can't wait. They will also be recording their track for the split while in Denver.

Speaking of shows, I will be meeting Fake Problems for the first time when they come to town with Anti-Flag this Sunday. How funny was that Punknews april fools day post? Not thinking, I almost believed that far out story until I realized what day it was. Stoked to meet those guys and take them out for a few drinks. Also, on April 21st, Minus the Bear and Portugal the Man will be coming to Boulder and Andy from Suburban Home has agreed to be designated driver. Stoked!

We have a lot of records in the works and due to the fiasco that was the Norma Jean boxset, we are being super cautious before we set up any new pre-orders. Speaking of Norma Jean, they will be shipping from the Czech Republic on Tuesday. Which means that we will more than likely have them within a week and half. This next week we will actually be getting in Poison the Well versions, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster II, and a partial on the Sparta threes. Sparta is still having problems as the plant pressed the entire run on the Black w/ Peach splatter which we told them was unacceptable. We will be getting 500 of the black with peach this week, but the two other colors won't show up until about 2 weeks from now. The Every Time I Die and See you next tuesday will be in about 3 weeks from now. You might notice that there are no Poison the Well "versions" for sale in the store. Until we do an official count, there is a good chance that we will be sold out of the first pressing. Hot Topic took 500 copies alone so if you missed out on getting one from us, make sure you pick one up from them.

Here is a quick list of things you can expect from VC in 2008: 3, maybe 4 vinyl offerings from Bad Astronaut. Joey will be remixing and remastering all of those records for these vinyl releases. Being a super fan of the band, I am so stoked to see these come out on wax. Joey's other band, the Playing Favorites will be releasing a double 7" with us that features a few new songs (the Ramones are Dead!) and a bunch of acoustic versions of songs from the album. The acoustic versions are great and any fan of the album will be stoked to be getting these songs. We are also working on a double 7" from Wild Orchid Children who are the alter-ego of Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground. Portugal the Man are having the Kay Kay guys do a dub remix of "It's Complicated Being a Wizard" which when done will be getting released as a double LP. We have been talking to Portugal about doing a series of split 7"s and the band are also putting the finishing touches on a brand new album which they recorded with the Kay Kay guys. Expect more on that soon. Been talking to Ferret about the next batch of releases for release on vinyl and it looks like we will be doing ETID "hot damn", as well as titles from Foxy Shazam, the Banner, 36 Crazy Fists, Boys Night Out, Misery Signals, and Gwen Stacy. These won't all come out at once, but we will be working on them over the next few months.

Been talking to Bloodshot about releasing the Justin Townes Earle record out on vinyl which would be incredible. Have you heard that album? Such a great honky tonk Country record. Still trying to get Doghouse to let me put out Limbeck's "Let me Come Home" on wax and lately, I have been thinking about asking to put out the Delicacy of Living Modestly which I have been listening to a lot lately. Some records I would really love to see on vinyl are the Cancer Bats, City and Colour, Lucero's latest (talking to these dudes about putting out a pint glass, and I still email their management about doing their vinyl), Dustin Kensrue (had asked EVR about this but they said someone else was doing it), Snake the Cross the Crown (would anyone pick this up?), and keep this hush, but we are getting close to making a deal with Jade Tree to put out the Avail albums on vinyl.

We are also working on a ton of releases for the Vinyl Collective store. Expect the Minus the Bear "beer commercials" vinyl pre-order to go up in early May (we will have an exclusive color). We will also be announcing soon the repress of Russian Circles "enter" which we will be doing a cool offer if you bought "Station" and are getting the repress. Once these new Recess records releases come out, they will be working on more Screeching Weasel and Queers reissues which we will be carrying. Mike Park has a super long list of things he is working on like Alkaline Trio, Broadways, Lawrence Arms, Mike Park, Slapstick, and so much more which we will also be carrying. Been talking to Side One about doing something cool with the new Gaslight album, and speaking of Gaslight, we will be carrying all the German imports soon so expect news about that sooner than later. We are also expecting in the next week copies of the Metallica reissues, the new Pennywise album, more Black Keys, Horrorpops, the Sword, Nine Inch Nails, Devotchka, Man Man, and more.

I need to get up and at them to set up for today's Flea Market. Hope this update didn't bore you to tears and if you read this far, wow! thanks. Thanks to everyone's support of Suburban Home and Vinyl Collective. It is amazing to see how things have turned around for us over the course of just one year. Thanks for all of you who have helped to make this happen.

Guest Admin
So the PTM - ...Wizard 2xLP, is that going to include the original version as well, or just remixes?

it will have the original, the dub remix, and I think 2 other remixes. I am going to see if I can get a free download of all the tracks and maybe, just maybe see if we can get the raw tracks so other people can remix the tracks. that would be sweet.

Guest Admin
I totally just skipped over that man man bit without realizing, I'll just pick it up here instead of looking around.

Oh and is there any news on whether Censored Colors is the final title for the new Portugal record, or is it still in the air.

not sure yet what they are calling the new album.

So the PTM - ...Wizard 2xLP, is that going to include the original version as well, or just remixes?

it will have the original, the dub remix, and I think 2 other remixes. I am going to see if I can get a free download of all the tracks and maybe, just maybe see if we can get the raw tracks so other people can remix the tracks. that would be sweet.

Badass! And yeah, I would totally be down for doing remixes a well.