Can we talk about Mogwai?

So... who wants some great news to kick off a Mogwai Monday morning?

I wrote Chemikal last week, inquiring about any updates on the CODY boxset.  I wasn't expecting a response, but they've been really good at getting back to me when there's info to present.  I basically just asked about any potential progress, without sounding impatient or entitled.  Here's what they sent me at 04:00 AM this morning.

Hi Derek,

I'm actually listening to the mastered bonus material as I type! It
sounds great. When I get approval from the band I shall get test
pressings made up. The test pressings for the main 'CODY' album have
already been approved. Record Store Day slows things down a lot due to
the vinyl manufacturers being so busy. It is now looking like late May
at the earliest or early June.

Cheers,

Andrew

I was really, really hoping that this repress wouldn't be one of those tentative-but-not-actually-going-to-happen reissues.  But from the sounds of it, things are actually falling into place as we speak.  Stoked to hear that the actual album test has been approved at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there's a little bit more information regarding the CODY set and new releases from the band.  From Stuart :

“We’ve just sorted out the 15-year anniversary edition of ‘Come On Die Young‘. It’ll have 90 minutes of extras. We’d recorded a whole record before we went to America, at the time, and then scrapped it. So we’ve remixed those songs. We’re happy with it. It’s out in the summer, I think.”

That's a ton of supplement.  Pretty excited that this is slowly becoming a reality.  They apparently have an EP coming out in the fall and are working on the soundtrack to season 2 of Les Revenants.

Source : http://www.theprp.com/2014/03/21/news/mogwai-to-release-15th-anniversary-edition-of-come-on-die-young-with-bonus-scrapped-album/

From Chemikal Underground:

"Oh yes, attempt to contain yourself but Mogwai's 1999 opus 'Come On Die Young' - arguably Chemikal's most iconic release - is finally getting the full reissue treatment and will be with you this summer.

Following hot on the heels of the band's amazing new album 'Rave Tapes', 'Come On Die Young' will be reissued as a 4LP boxset featuring the original double album alongside a further 2LP featuring seventeen (count 'em) additional tracks.

The hour and a half of bonus material includes previously unheard Chem19 and CAVA demos, tracks from their uber-rare 'Travel In Constants EP' and an unreleased track from the Chem19 demo sessions called '7-25' .

You'll be able to pre-order the reissue by the end of April, by which time we'll have the official tracklisting and every other piece of drool-worthy detail you could possibly be after."

I'm going to buy the shit out of that box set.

I've waited so damn long to own this album, and have passed on many reasonably priced copies via Discogs, etc. I'm usually a stickler on price points for new releases - assuming they're steep - but I don't even care for this one. I doubt Chemikal is going to gouge on this; if it's a massive cost it's because there's a massive amount of content. This album was one of my first introductions to various shades of post-rock; I didn't "get it" at the time, but I kept it in my library and have come to love it over the years. It's been the soundtrack to some really good and bad moments in my life, and has pulled me through some dark times. Definitely going to be putting cash aside for the end of April.

Thanks for the updates, guys.

• 1 month later...

Encore:

They seem to play many of the same songs at every show, which is kind of a meh for a band with such a discography.  I coudln't tell

Friend of the night is SO good live though

• 2 weeks later...

Saw them last night. It was incredible. Here's the setlist.

Heard About You Last Night

Friend of the Night

I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead

Master Card

Rano Pano

Ex-Cowboy

How To Be a Werewolf

Travel is Dagenrous

New Paths to Helicon, Pt. 1

Deesh

Remurdered

We're No Here

Auto Rock

Hunted by a Freak

Batcat

The set was pretty heavy on Mr. Beast tracks and I loved it. Helicon was a nice surprise and the encore was incredible. Can't wait to see them again.