My First Record Show

this was my experience in Austin as well. out of roughly 100 vendors, there were 3 vendors who specialized in metal, 1 who specialized in punk, and 1 guy who had a pretty good mixture of modern (mid-90's to current) rock. everyone else was typically 60's-80's mainstream rock with a seemingly big focus on pushing relatively expensive copies of Beatles, Floyd, and Zappa.

since last year i've totally retooled my record show wantlist to hopefully be able to walk out with more records to fill the holes in some of my discographies that i'm trying to complete. i've also learned that you NEED to haggle. you can definitely get things for a FAR cheaper price at record shows if you haggle. i saw one guy come off of a record almost $80 last year because the dude who was haggling just put it down in the middle of the conversation and walked away. he didn't say a word, he just laid the record down and walked the hell off. the vendor chased him down the aisle and said "ok ok ok, i'll let you have it". i'm taking that dude's approach this year if i find something that is a MUST HAVE that's way overpriced.

Solid advice, I appreciate it.

They have a quarterly (or so) record show in St. Louis I go to.  It was great when I was building my collection, but, like others have noted, it has gotten less useful as time goes on, though on one visit I bought Electro-Shock Blues and New Adventures in Hi-Fi for a total of $40 from the same guy, so I keep going hoping he'll show up again with more absurdly low priced gems.  No luck . . .

There is a show coming up in my hometown next weekend, it will be my first one. Wouldn't be surprised if the prices are inflated, that seems to be the vibe anyway. I havent bought any records in a few weeks so I'm hoping to pick up a few there. Early bird access only 5 bucks too. If anyone live in the Maritime provinces, this could be alright.

I've never been. Always find some reason not to go like sleeping in. If you make it out let me know and I'll make it a point to show up.

Shit. I'm on my phone and accidentally gave this a negative. Why would I give a nice gesture a neg?

Yes, if I ever make it out there, will do.

• 1 month later...

Shit. I'm on my phone and accidentally gave this a negative. Why would I give a nice gesture a neg?

Yes, if I ever make it out there, will do.

I negated the negative vote for you .

I went to a record show here in phoenix a few months back. I honestly had no interest in returning when it comes back around. However reading these posts about haggling the prices and some of the treasures you find has me reconcidering. I dug like crazy but a lot of it was really inflated and there were a lot of people in this tight space. So it kinda turned me off to the whole thing. Passed on a colored Saturday night wrist and ended up buying Magic Potion for 25 bucks. I should've haggled it down but the guy selling it was all mopy...

• 1 month later...

The last few record fairs around my area have either been cancelled, or I just totally spaced on them. That being said, there is one in Hillside, Illinois coming up in a couple weeks. It seems like they do this a lot:

https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoLandRecordShow

Anybody ever been to this specific record show before? Wondering if driving 2 hours will be worth it. Thanks.