Lullaby Versions of Songs You Like

DUDE! Congrats! It's seriously the best thing ever.

I have a feeling it will be! I'm only just about to turn 20, so naturally I'm scared shitless, but thankfully I have a good head on my shoulders and a good grip on the direction that my life is heading. Hearing these songs gives me a good feeling about connecting with my child through music that I love and hopefully he or she will grow to love as well. I also, really need to get my hands on the rockabye baby Smiths record!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I literally spent yesterday morning mapping out the Coheed lullaby album and coming up with ideas. This will be the first, and probably only, Sparrow Sleeps record that will something other than bells on it.

We're kicking it off with The Ring In Return (the standard Coheed theme), but instead of a phone ringing, it will be a baby crying, and the footsteps down the hall.

Sounds tacky, but I think Coheed fans will dig it.

it will have to be a concept album for sure, if it doesn't tell a story then it doesn't work.

Yes, I pay royalties on all of these. 

It's a mechanical license. Simple process. Pays the band about a dime per track sold. 

Also, just put up the Gaslight Anthem album. jeffersonhowell has been killing it with these album covers. I think I love him.

http://sparrowsleeps.bandcamp.com/album/infant-slang-lullaby-renditions-of-your-favorite-gaslight-anthem-songs

Yes, I pay royalties on all of these.

It's a mechanical license. Simple process. Pays the band about a dime per track sold.

Also, just put up the Gaslight Anthem album. jeffersonhowell has been killing it with these album covers. I think I love him.http://sparrowsleeps.bandcamp.com/album/infant-slang-lullaby-renditions-of-your-favorite-gaslight-anthem-songs

Awesome. I guess I just assumed something.

Album cover is definitely badass. Never actually paid for digital music in my 27 years, thinking about buying this.

Also, the 45 club is a train wreck in need of some saving. Maybe you could work something out with them? Just a random thought. I know nothing of how these things work.

I'd definitely post it on dimestoresaints.com. Quick search there for the word "sparrow" and nothing came up.

Awesome. I guess I just assumed something.

Album cover is definitely badass. Never actually paid for digital music in my 27 years, thinking about buying this.

Also, the 45 club is a train wreck in need of some saving. Maybe you could work something out with them? Just a random thought. I know nothing of how these things work.

I'd definitely post it on dimestoresaints.com. Quick search there for the word "sparrow" and nothing came up.

I don't know anything either. That would be rad though; having a split with a lullaby on the B side. Ha!

And I am guessing that it will show up on dimestoresaints by the end of today. AbsolutePunk.net and POZ just posted about the release late last night/early this morning. With the other releases, reddit users posted about it in their respective areas eventually. I am guessing dimestoresaints will be the same.

Man, those guys on AP.net are brutal.

It's always "How is this legal?" or "Just listen to the originals," or my favorite "Why is he charging for these?"

I can't wait for the official Sparrow Sleeps page to go live so I can have an FAQ section that explains the concept of mechanical licensing and the fact that the small proceeds that I do make go toward diapers. I never thought that subsidizing my income in a creative way would lead to such an uproar in the demographic of 15-22 year olds.

The internet is a dark place. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Took a year off. Had trouble finding a direction to go in. I was kind of wandering aimlessly.

I finally started hitting the lullaby bricks again hard.

There is going to be a new site, a big announcement, and a slew of new releases in March, including a part of the site where you can get your favorite songs turned into lullabies. 

Working with one artist right now on onesie designs. Hopefully working with another two artists on some diaper-bag patches in the coming weeks.

It's really weird and cool and exciting. 

Having artists back the project is surreal. 

I think I need to have those Gaslight tracks as MP3s on my computer. Feel like 5 years from now I'm going to have a little guy and think "damn I wish I would have bought those. Too bad Casey disappeared from VC years ago."

So yeah, if they go on new site, awesome. If not, PM me and we'll work it out under the table.

They will. All the old stuff will be available. We're transitioning over to a new licensing site (that's why I took the old page down; licenses ran out on the majority of the releases, and Limelight was looking unfavorable).

I just teamed up with a dude who is going to take over the entire graphic design/web design aspect of everything. So now I pump out the lullabies and deal with licensing while he takes care of the rest.

It's going to be a really fun Spring. Lots of stuff in the works.

But yes, TGA stuff will be made available.