PO: Five Iron Frenzy "Engine of A Million Plots"

mmhmm

I didn't pre-order this album, based on this wording alone:

"But be aware that this version of the album is limited and subsequent re-pressings will be downgraded to a lighter weight format with less "goodies" "

This would lead me to believe that after all the hype of the release is over, there will be more of these available in a more standard version for a more standard price.  ALSO - I noticed a lot of people commenting that their music disappeared from Spotify.  They responded by saying that they were securing the rights to their entire back catalog, and they would be back up.

Now, if you're mentioning that represses of your new album are going to be a lighter/cheaper format, and you're going out of your way to also secure the rights to all of your old albums and get all your ducks in a row, I would say it's pretty safe to assume that Five Iron is planning on releasing the entirety of the back catalog on vinyl.  I don't know if this will all be at once, spread out over time, or in some overpriced box set, but I feel like it's coming, perhaps around Christmas time, perhaps completely random, but I'm going to wait and see if this happens.

Five Iron was one of the bands that got me started into music when I was in middle school, and I will be overjoyed to see all of these go to print.  I suppose let's keep our fingers crossed and see what happens!

I wonder if they're using some of the capital from their Kickstarter to buy the back catalog from Frank Tate.  Last I heard, it was going to be an expensive undertaking.  

And FIF replied to my Facebook post..and didn't answer my question, at all.  But their response did make me feel like they thought I was being ungrateful or something, which is awesome and not at all what I was getting at...  

Yeah, a pretty good example of a political non-answer, right there. Definitely frustrating.

No kidding...to me, it makes FIF come off as a bit ungrateful to not even consider something as simple as hand-numbering.  

Well, I was wondering if maybe they're just not that familiar with what record collecting is like these days, what with the number of cool, different ways to do variants or limited edition things like hand-numbering. Their last record was released in what, 2000?

What hits me as ungrateful is the fact that they were funded well over their requested amount, so it's not even about us supporting them anymore. They got more than they needed, even without the people who paid $50 for one vinyl record. It'd be nice to see a special limited perk to the Kickstarter supporters, for sure.

Hell, maybe we should get both variants -- that'd at least be equal to the $50 we sent them initially.

Well, I was wondering if maybe they're just not that familiar with what record collecting is like these days, what with the number of cool, different ways to do variants or limited edition things like hand-numbering. Their last record was released in what, 2000?

What hits me as ungrateful is the fact that they were funded well over their requested amount, so it's not even about us supporting them anymore. They got more than they needed, even without the people who paid $50 for one vinyl record. It'd be nice to see a special limited perk to the Kickstarter supporters, for sure.

Hell, maybe we should get both variants -- that'd at least be equal to the $50 we sent them initially.

Not a bad idea!  I'm probably out of goodwill from them so I won't be asking haha..

Five Iron Frenzy has pissed me off with this whole experience. Why is it that the kickstarter backers have been the last too get everything. Look at all the complaints about people not getting their rewards on time on the Kickstarter comments. For a band that dogged American consumerism in their music at times they have been happy to take peoples money.Yes you all are right if Kickstarters weren't going to get an exclusive color they should have got both. I think they could have afforded this since they made over 200,000. Just an opionion.

Yeah, I'm frustrated with them too.  But to their credit, I'm beginning to wonder if they 1) don't understand the world of vinyl (as mentioned by thespungo), and 2) are incredibly busy with touring/album promotion and just can't do what we'd like with the hand-numbering.  As in, the vinyl production/shipment is completely out of their hands but they are simply unwilling to admit that publicly.  If that's the case, I would be a bit more understanding.  Still, that doesn't excuse the fact that they had at least a year to get details like these in order before the album release...

Five Iron Frenzy has pissed me off with this whole experience. Why is it that the kickstarter backers have been the last too get everything. Look at all the complaints about people not getting their rewards on time on the Kickstarter comments. For a band that dogged American consumerism in their music at times they have been happy to take peoples money.Yes you all are right if Kickstarters weren't going to get an exclusive color they should have got both. I think they could have afforded this since they made over 200,000. Just an opionion.

When I chatted with them at their Chicago show last year, they said the bulk of the kickstarter cash was paying for travel expenses, and that they were going to take their sweet time with recording the album. You'll notice they've been doing a bunch of weekend/fly out shows since then. That'll eat up the cash right quick. I believe they were also talking to labels about a discography repress a while back, but who knows where that's gone. Realistically, you're dealing with eight grown-ass adults, and the band isn't a first priority for any of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Was on the fence about this and wanted to hear the album first.  Got the download yesterday for being a kickstarter backer and ordered it after my first listen.  Have played it through 5-6 times since then, really digging the sound, especially on the opener and closer, some nice piano on both of those.  

I've listened to it twice through and I think it's very good.  I wasn't sure on the first listen because the melodies weren't as obvious as they've been on their last few records but the second time through, I got it.  I do want to hear the b-sides though, to get a clearer picture of what the sessions for this album sounded like, collectively.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This album far exceeded my expectations. i wish they would have left off "Battle Dancing..." i feel that song was their "silly song because we're FIF and always need to have a silly song on our albums" song. Everything else is really great, though. i wasn't sure how i'd feel about FIF almost 10 years later, but i'm glad this exists.

wasn't the DVD 001?

You may be right, actually.  Not at home to check though.  

This album far exceeded my expectations. i wish they would have left off "Battle Dancing..." i feel that song was their "silly song because we're FIF and always need to have a silly song on our albums" song. Everything else is really great, though. i wasn't sure how i'd feel about FIF almost 10 years later, but i'm glad this exists.

Someone Else's Problem is way worse than Battle Dancing Unicorns.  So bad that when I found the b-side "God Hates Flags," I switched "Problem" out for it.  So much better not having that song cluttering up the album now.  

And yes, the album is really really good.

For me Battle Dancing Unicorns is one of the best songs. Someone Else's Problems on the other hand...