PO- Ty Segall- Gemini

I just don't see it as a big deal.

No one forced us to buy it. So what if the label pressed more? Maybe if you bought it in eBay for $200, then you can get pissed.

But by all accounts this was limited and the label stuck to that until they saw that demand was big enough to warrant another pressing. So I don't see how they lied. They just changed their minds. And I do t understand getting so upset about that. If you have your copy the. Why should you care if there are more?

I still don't get the accusing drag City of flipping their own records.

Wouldn't Drag city have made more money from pressing a few thousand LPs rather than selling a few hundred and flipping maybe a dozen on eBay? What do they get by having made a record so rare and selling it for $20.

If it's true they can sell thousands of Ty records just by releasing a LP, why resort to shenanigans like this. That's why it doesn't make any sense. Sometimes it is as cut and dry as it looks.

Maybe this was just supposed to be a treat for hardcore fans that turned into a wider release when real demand was gauged. If you want to dog them about misjudging demand fine, but I didn't see anything malicious about this. And none of us know details behind the email and follow up post so it's pointless to speculate.

OMG..a  label actually wants people to have a release

Everyone who is complaining seems pissed because its not "limited". If you want the music and dont care about whats it worth why do you care so much if its limited or not

Just curious, do you succeed to the fact that their is absolutely no hype factor about the Gemini release?

Overwhelmingly the responses seem to be, those who didn't get the record are cheering for Drag City (naturally) and those who felt they were bought into the hype felt jipped off.

Reluctantly speaking personally I would've waited until after holidays to get this now Unlimited edition LP after it was cited as "Ultra-Limited"?

Cue all the melts!

It's all just a big conspiracy between Ty Segall and small labels. You're all just pawns in their "Limited Release Ty Segall" chess game.

If y'all like limited stuff, check out my label. Everything is limited! And most likely will never be repressed because I can't afford it!

Reluctantly speaking personally I would've waited until after holidays to get this now Unlimited edition LP after it was cited as "Ultra-Limited"?

Exactly, which is one of the reasons why the hype and distorted pressing numbers is bullshit.

I remember when the whole incentive to get something direct from a label was because it was on color or limited somehow. Labels make more money per piece retail than they do selling 50 copies to Revolver or something. So as a way to get you to buy from them, you got a limited release, usually color.

Now, labels are getting you to buy from them using deceptive marketing tactics, and that's not good for anyone. It sucks for collectors and fans thinking they got something "special", and it sucks that the labels have a tarnished reputation.

Drag City does great releases. Twins was unlimited, black vinyl. I bought it, it's a very high quality release. The vinyl is quiet, the center labels look like a nice label from the 50's, and the jacket is top notch, it's a gatefold made on high quality paper. This is what brings customers in, not some shitty gimmick about something being super limited, when in reality it's not.

It's fucking Ty Segall. Press 2000, on color or not, and they're gonna sell. And when they sell, press more.

Its interesting. Some demos work and some don't (only on Side A)

Sinners is great. Its got a nice swagger to it

You're the Doctor sounds like a raw version of the album track

The rest of the tracks on this side become slower, acoustic versions of their LP counterparts. Pretty interesting take on them. Especially The Hill.

Now, labels are getting you to buy from them using deceptive marketing tactics, and that's not good for anyone. It sucks for collectors and fans thinking they got something "special", and it sucks that the labels have a tarnished reputation.

I think you are getting way too bent out of shape about this. 

I think you are getting way too bent out of shape about this. 

I like that you post this, yet you have posted on this thread more than anyone.

Everyone else posting one time is dumb with their getting out of shape and all, but your 15 posts in this thread, completely reasonably defending it.

Also, if buying 1 record is breaking your bank (buying it now vs. later), I think you have bigger problems than it being limited or not.

It's by no means breaking the bank, but I could have got it from the record store across the street from my house instead. Or what about the saps on eBay who did spend $200? Sure, they ponied up the money willingly, but I'm sure they would have been happy to get a copy for $20. Or, what about my buddy who missed out, and as soon as he found out about the ones in the UK he ordered one, which now ends up being more than the no longer limited edition from the States? It kinda sucks for everyone. We're all fans, we're all collectors, and we're all getting screwed.

I guess we'll never see eye to eye on this, but I'm not alone on this. It's a deceptive, shitty marketing tactic and any label with a decent reputation shouldn't stoop so low.

Also, just out of curiosity I looked at the eBay listings that sold. Seven copies were sold by the same person, who looks like some sort of distribution house. How in the fuck would a distribution house, or any individual for that matter, get their hands on seven copies that were supposedly limited to one per person? This stinks of an inside job.

Also, just out of curiosity I looked at the eBay listings that sold. Seven copies were sold by the same person, who looks like some sort of distribution house. How in the fuck would a distribution house, or any individual for that matter, get their hands on seven copies that were supposedly limited to one per person? This stinks of an inside job.

Because stores are supposed to get some copies. So distributors will need to have this.

Until you can prove it was Drag City that sold those on eBay, the worst thing that happened here is you spent $18 sometime earlier than you might have.

That's it.