heading to Manhattan... Best 1-2 record shops?

mrc

hey guys,

I need some help from those that live or recently visited NYC.  I will be heading up to Manhattan for a work function on 12/12-12/14 and wanted to check out at least one or two record shops while there.

I believe i will be staying at a hotel near Penn Station, and wondered what the best shops for punk rock.

I have generations marked and have heard good things, but what other shops focus on or have a good chunk of punk records?

any tips or advice will be helpful,

thanks in advance!

honestly I would not go shopping for records in Manhattan.. the prices are WAAAAY too much for what they are selling.

If you do go however, I wouldn't get anything unless you happen upon a gem or white whale of yours.

[edit] if you are near penn station, I would suggest taking the NJT down to edison (You want the metropark stop) and take a cab to vintage vinyl. 

sorry for the duplicate thread, i browsed the record store thread but didnt see anything on NYC.

thanks for the input, because i will have limited time i will most likely stick the Manhattan area, plus i have never been to NYC so im sure getting anywhere will take me twice as long.

Ill check for the other threads for other tips and advice.

thanks again!

honestly I would not go shopping for records in Manhattan.. the prices are WAAAAY too much for what they are selling.

If you do go however, I wouldn't get anything unless you happen upon a gem or white whale of yours.

[edit] if you are near penn station, I would suggest taking the NJT down to edison (You want the metropark stop) and take a cab to vintage vinyl. 

Unfortunately, this person has no idea what he/she is talking about. There are plenty of record stores that aren't outrageously overpriced---both Academy stores and Other Music in Manhattan are worth visiting. I've never found anything at Generation. I'm not sure that there's anything near Penn Station other than MSG and B&H---but I digress. 

You need to get the Vinyl District app and it will tell you where record stores are located. 

What you really need to do is take the 7 train to Court Square (Queens), transfer to the G train to Brooklyn and get off at the Nassau stop in Greenpoint. There you can hit Co-OP 87, Academy, Record Grouch, Captured Tracks and Permanent Records all within 15 - 20 minute walking distance.

Of course, this all depends on your definition of punk rock and what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, this person has no idea what he/she is talking about. There are plenty of record stores that aren't outrageously overpriced---both Academy stores and Other Music in Manhattan are worth visiting. I've never found anything at Generation. I'm not sure that there's anything near Penn Station other than MSG and B&H---but I digress. 

You need to get the Vinyl District app and it will tell you where record stores are located. 

What you really need to do is take the 7 train to Court Square (Queens), transfer to the G train to Brooklyn and get off at the Nassau stop in Greenpoint. There you can hit Co-OP 87, Academy, Record Grouch, Captured Tracks and Permanent Records all within 15 - 20 minute walking distance.

Of course, this all depends on your definition of punk rock and what you're looking for.

uhh wow, that was kinda harsh. I was literally talking from my own experiences after living in that area for over 20 years, but hey what do I know. I'm sure things have changed but I honestly wouldn't know, a. doesn't invalidate my experiences and b. doesn't warrant you to say that I don't have any idea of what I'm talking about. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, it doesn't matter but no reason to start being a dick about it. 

uhh wow, that was kinda harsh. I was literally talking from my own experiences after living in that area for over 20 years, but hey what do I know. I'm sure things have changed but I honestly wouldn't know, a. doesn't invalidate my experiences and b. doesn't warrant you to say that I don't have any idea of what I'm talking about. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, it doesn't matter but no reason to start being a dick about it. 

Actually, I was being nice. I didn't call you a fucking idiot or a stupid cunt.