Hey.

Hey everyone, I'm new to turntables and vinyl in general. After getting a job recently, I had decided I wanted to start buying/collecting vinyl. Of course, I'd love to listen to them as well, so I'm looking for any advice on any specific brand or model turntable that anyone recommends.

Many thanks in advance, haha.

There's a million topics on this already but personally I've gotta recommend the older stuff. Takes a bit more work and luck to find good equipment but you can save a bunch going that route. I recommend any of the 1200 series turntables from Technics (make sure you don't buy one from a DJ), Pioneer/Marantz circa 1970's and as for speakers...whatever sounds good to you!

There are a few threads dedicated to this so have a read do some research online regarding what stuff actually sells for and get digging in your local thrift stores there’s loads of good kit out there. All the above suggestions are good but if it's tyring to find any decent 1200 for a low price that hasn’t been worn out is difficult.

There are a few threads dedicated to this so have a read do some research online regarding what stuff actually sells for and get digging in your local thrift stores there’s loads of good kit out there. All the above suggestions are good but if it's tyring to find any decent 1200 for a low price that hasn’t been worn out is difficult.

Very true about the 1200's but you know never know. I'd at least say keep an eye out for one.

And before it's said 20 more times, stay away from anything Crosley or similiar. Also try to avoid any turntables with USB ports or built-in phono pre-amps.

There's no shame in getting yourself a cheap turntable when you're first getting into records. The way your post was written, you've made it sound like collecting records is your first priority, with listening to records as an afterthought. A crosley will fit the bill perfectly. It will look pretty in the corner of your room, they have a variety of colors, and they will play a record. You can probably find one used on craigslist for dirt cheap, and you don't have to invest in a preamp, amp, or speakers right off the bat. If you're curious as to how they'll sound, take a record to best buy and throw it on a crosley. If you find yourself listening to the download codes on your ipod more than your record player, you aren't out a lot of cash. Will the Crosley sound great? No. If you want to hear what a good setup sounds like, find a hi-fi shop in your area and bring some records. This will give you an idea of the cost/quality differences. Everyone enjoys music differently.

If you find that you're using your first turntable quite a bit, and your interest is growing, then set a budget and start doing research as it's part of the fun in having a record hobby. There's no sense in throwing out a ton of cash to see if listening to vinyl is something in which you'd like to make a serious investment.

Sorry, but that's some horrible advice.

I'm not saying it's necessary to spend a lot, but there are far better ways to spend little. A vintage thrift store table for $20 would be better, as well as much less damaging for records. I'm sure that every single person who decides to explore this hobby has at least some way to listen to music, be it an old stereo or computer speakers. Hooking that vintage table to a $20 phono preamp and into whatever speakers that person is currently using for listening will be cheaper and better than a crosley.

As far as not spending more before knowing this hobby is for you, I'll just copy what I've written numerous times:

I'd say it's tough figuring out whether a certain hobby is for you by getting the lowest quality experience possible.

Sure, any supermarket pile of plastic abomination will “technically” do the job (the record will spin and some sound will come out of it), but if you don’t like music enough to want to hear at least a rough approximation of what the artist intended, then why even bother?

(regarding entry level quality tables in the $200-$400 price class) Many might not consider them “budget” options, but it is a worthwhile investment even for those that might end up deciding it’s not for them and will abandon the hobby altogether. The resale value is high enough to make these THE cost-efficient choice.

I'm not saying it's necessary to spend a lot, but there are far better ways to spend little. A vintage thrift store table for $20 would be better, as well as much less damaging for records. I'm sure that every single person who decides to explore this hobby has at least some way to listen to music, be it an old stereo or computer speakers. Hooking that vintage table to a $20 phono preamp and into whatever speakers that person is currently using for listening will be cheaper and better than a crosley.

As far as not spending more before knowing this hobby is for you, I'll just copy what I've written numerous times:

+1

How much you spend is not the issue it's how wisely you spend it.

A Crosley or similar is no advert for the vinyl experience, convenient they may be but as with a lot of things in audio what you gain in convenience you most definitely loose in quality.

As Slinch says a $20 turntable from a thrift store would be much more preferable, it doesn't take a lot of on line research to find out what is a good buy and what isn't, with mobile internet nowadays you can research a bit of hifi standing in front of it in a thrift store.

Yeah that Crosley advice was terrible. The main problem is that the player WILL slowly destroy your vinyl because the cartridge alignment, VTA, and tracking force are not adjustable. And since the player is so crappy, your records will "sound" ok until you learn more and upgrade to a $1000+ setup. At that time you'll probably find extreme sibilence and terrible treble break-up because that Crosley stylus was tracking too light and bouncing all over the fucking place.

Another thing: I don't buy or trade with people who spin their records on cheap, non-adjustable tables. I'm not being an elitist jerk, I just don't want damaged vinyl.

If you can somehow scratch together $1000 then your best bet is a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, $100 preamp, a quality headphone amp, and something in the Grado lineup. You won't win originality points but it will sound really good.

If you can't swing that much then you'll have to look for some used gear on eBay, thrift shops, audiogon, etc.

While I agree with you for the most part, I think you missed the point of my post.

Also, I do find issue with a few of your statements when it comes to someone brand new to the world of records and audio equipment. 

First off, you're assuming that everyone has some sort of amp/speakers for listening to music.Most kids these days have a cell phone and a pair of earbuds. If someone is coming into a forum and asking for advice on audio equipment, that usually means they don't have any immediate contacts to answer the question. While it might be second nature to you or I to easily wire an amp and set up a turntable, a new user most likely couldn't point out a counterweight or a cartridge. Sending someone into a thrift store to purchase an old turntable that most likely has a wrecked stylus and an improper setup could possibly, if not more likely, ruin a record faster than a cheap-o wally world table.

There are lots of people getting into the hobby to collect records and not listen to them. In fact, listening to records was secondary to collecting them in the original post. While a shit turntable doesn't give a quality listen, it does give the new user the feel of the experience, which is really what's at question - 'How do you want to listen to your music?'. There's always a local place to see what a record sounds like on a decent table or a low end table. For a collector who wants to buy records, use the download codes and look at the artwork, get yourself a shiny red crosley cruiser, set it in the corner, and blast your ipod to your heart's content. Unfortunately in this new record collecting fad that has come about in the past few years, it's all form over function.

In the end, the original poster didn't really give anyone enough information to go off of, and so we all just start assuming things, including myself...but that's how I interpreted the question and answered accordingly.

That's the problem with kids these days. Can't figure out a cartridge from a counterweight? You're a few keystrokes and three hours away from knowing more about analog hifi than everybody in your neighborhood. Read a (digital) book, watch some basic YouTube videos, whatever. Turntables are a simple idea with a complex implementation. If one is going to spend on a big vinyl collection then it behooves him or her to learn some basic mechanics and understand how the equipment works.

It's like when I see cyclists who can't adjust their brakes or fix a minor rim misalignment, or motorcyclists who can't change their own oil, or software developers who can't set up their own desktop environment, or...

It doesn't really matter. If the OP wants to get a cheap Crosley or a thrift shop table (with a way-too-low tracking force and a cart so misaligned that it's sideways) and wreck his records -- it's no skin off my back, as long as he doesn't put them on the classifieds or eBay later.

That's the problem with kids these days. Can't figure out a cartridge from a counterweight? You're a few keystrokes and three hours away from knowing more about analog hifi than everybody in your neighborhood. Read a (digital) book, watch some basic YouTube videos, whatever. Turntables are a simple idea with a complex implementation. If one is going to spend on a big vinyl collection then it behooves him or her to learn some basic mechanics and understand how the equipment works.

It's like when I see cyclists who can't adjust their brakes or fix a minor rim misalignment, or motorcyclists who can't change their own oil, or software developers who can't set up their own desktop environment, or...

It doesn't really matter. If the OP wants to get a cheap Crosley or a thrift shop table (with a terrible tracking force and cart alignment) and wreck his records -- it's no skin off my back, as long as he doesn't put them on the classifieds or eBay later.

You know, you're completely right. I came at the answer from a purely fashion collector sense, as I've been seeing it all too often lately. I guess I could have posted two responses to the question. When I got into vinyl over 20 years ago, I didn't have the internet to help me out, and spent time talking to my family and friends and going to a library to figure out how things worked.

Hey everyone, sorry about the lack of information. Didn't realize there was so much into it, and didn't really want to make anyone annoyed or angry with my questions. I was just simply seeking guidance.

It doesn't really matter. If the OP wants to get a cheap Crosley or a thrift shop table (with a way-too-low tracking force and a cart so misaligned that it's sideways) and wreck his records -- it's no skin off my back, as long as he doesn't put them on the classifieds or eBay later.

I should've done some research, yes. I was planning on doing it when I had some free time, but I'm just checking the site in between breaks at work, I'm sorry if I aggravated you, man. I don't want to ruin my records, and I'm not just solely collecting them. I'd like to listen to them from the player extensively, which is why I asked what was a good setup instead of a Crosley or anything. Again, sorry for any headaches I've caused by asking simple questions. :s

There's no shame in getting yourself a cheap turntable when you're first getting into records. The way your post was written, you've made it sound like collecting records is your first priority, with listening to records as an afterthought. A crosley will fit the bill perfectly. It will look pretty in the corner of your room, they have a variety of colors, and they will play a record. You can probably find one used on craigslist for dirt cheap, and you don't have to invest in a preamp, amp, or speakers right off the bat. If you're curious as to how they'll sound, take a record to best buy and throw it on a crosley. If you find yourself listening to the download codes on your ipod more than your record player, you aren't out a lot of cash. Will the Crosley sound great? No. If you want to hear what a good setup sounds like, find a hi-fi shop in your area and bring some records. This will give you an idea of the cost/quality differences. Everyone enjoys music differently.

If you find that you're using your first turntable quite a bit, and your interest is growing, then set a budget and start doing research as it's part of the fun in having a record hobby. There's no sense in throwing out a ton of cash to see if listening to vinyl is something in which you'd like to make a serious investment.

I'd like to not ruin my records, as I'm trying to invest in some older ones that I'd like to spin and not have to re-purchase/re-find in the near future. My interest is in both departments equally. It just seemed really cool, and having some more things from all of my favorite bands/artists that I listen to just seems like a pretty cool hobby to pick up on to me.

As for everyone else, thank you for your responses, I'm currently reading the "Beginner's Guide to Hi-Fi" thread at the moment. Much to learn.

Yeah that Crosley advice was terrible. The main problem is that the player WILL slowly destroy your vinyl because the cartridge alignment, VTA, and tracking force are not adjustable. And since the player is so crappy, your records will "sound" ok until you learn more and upgrade to a $1000+ setup. At that time you'll probably find extreme sibilence and terrible treble break-up because that Crosley stylus was tracking too light and bouncing all over the fucking place.

Another thing: I don't buy or trade with people who spin their records on cheap, non-adjustable tables. I'm not being an elitist jerk, I just don't want damaged vinyl.

If you can somehow scratch together $1000 then your best bet is a Pro-ject Debut Carbon, $100 preamp, a quality headphone amp, and something in the Grado lineup. You won't win originality points but it will sound really good.

If you can't swing that much then you'll have to look for some used gear on eBay, thrift shops, audiogon, etc.

I'm in the same boat as the OP as I'm just now learning about all of this vinyl stuff. The only thing I have is one of these cheap all-in-one units because it was given to me. I know I need to upgrade, especially now that I've realized that I like this stuff, but when I see numbers thrown around like $1000 it scares me  :ph34r:

I'm in the same boat as the OP as I'm just now learning about all of this vinyl stuff. The only thing I have is one of these cheap all-in-one units because it was given to me. I know I need to upgrade, especially now that I've realized that I like this stuff, but when I see numbers thrown around like $1000 it scares me  :ph34r:

You don't have to spend 1K.  There are plenty of TT's that are much cheaper that still offer a good level of quality.

No hard feelings, nobody is aggravated or angry here.

The numbers are scary, but I'm not telling the entire truth. If you just want to listen to your vinyl in a safe and sane setting, you don't need to spend nearly that much. You can go far by finding a decent vintage table on eBay, a 70s silver face receiver, and any halfway decent bookshelf speakers. Throw on a new cartridge, align it properly, set the right tracking force, and you'll be in heaven.

Unfortunately with more and more people getting into analog systems the prices for basic 70s/80s turntables is skyrocketing.

But if you want to listen to music as an analytical (not a social) hobby, you do need to splurge on more equipment to extract the most information from your records, and $1000 is the starting point. And that's with a headphone rig. You wouldn't be able to match the same fidelity with loudspeakers until double that cost.

The numbers are scary, but I'm not telling the entire truth. If you just want to listen to your vinyl in a safe and sane setting, you don't need to spend nearly that much. You can go far by finding a decent vintage table on eBay, a 70s silver face receiver, and any halfway decent bookshelf speakers. Throw on a new cartridge, align it properly, set the right tracking force, and you'll be in heaven.

Unfortunately with more and more people getting into analog systems the prices for basic 70s/80s turntables is skyrocketing.

But if you want to listen to music as an analytical (not a social) hobby, you do need to splurge on more equipment to extract the most information from your records, and $1000 is the starting point. And that's with a headphone rig. You wouldn't be able to match the same fidelity with loudspeakers until double that cost.

Now this was a very helpful post. Especially that second paragraph.Thank you. I'm certainly no audiophile but I'm quickly realizing that with this shitty unit I have now I'm pretty much wasting the point of the experience. I just want it to sound better than what I have. Don't need anything special. It just blows my mind how expensive this stuff can get. Gotta keep doing my research, I guess.

Now this was a very helpful post. Especially that second paragraph.Thank you. I'm certainly no audiophile but I'm quickly realizing that with this shitty unit I have now I'm pretty much wasting the point of the experience. I just want it to sound better than what I have. Don't need anything special. It just blows my mind how expensive this stuff can get. Gotta keep doing my research, I guess.

Definitely, I haven't purchased anything but that was a post I can jive with.

Preciate it man, didn't know.

I'm sure there are tutorials on how to setup new cartridges/align/etc, yeah? That sounds really cool, and honestly looking for something I can make my own personal setup out of seems much cooler than just buying the aforementioned Crosley etc, which is what I was looking at before I decided to ask.

I appreciate the response, and I'll get to looking for something affordable with this reply and the others in mind.

Thanks to everyone on this thread, you guys are the best.

Find a good used turntable on the local market (craigslist and estate sales are your best bet).  Something heavy from before 1982 or so.  Try to stay away from the black plastic crap, generally direct drive japanese tables with an S-shaped tonearm will give you the most bang per buck.  The old European belt drives are just as good, but require more tinkering to get into working order.

You should be able to find something decent for around 100 bucks or so, slap a good budget cart (like the at95e) on and you've got a table that can hold its own against the entry level audiophile stuff out right now.

I built my dorm room setup for a total of 250 bucks, with a Technics direct-drive, pioneer integrated amp, and klipsch speakers.  You just have to know how to hunt for this stuff locally.

Find a good used turntable on the local market (craigslist and estate sales are your best bet).  Something heavy from before 1982 or so.  Try to stay away from the black plastic crap, generally direct drive japanese tables with an S-shaped tonearm will give you the most bang per buck.  The old European belt drives are just as good, but require more tinkering to get into working order.

You should be able to find something decent for around 100 bucks or so, slap a good budget cart (like the at95e) on and you've got a table that can hold its own against the entry level audiophile stuff out right now.

I built my dorm room setup for a total of 250 bucks, with a Technics direct-drive, pioneer integrated amp, and klipsch speakers.  You just have to know how to hunt for this stuff locally.

Thanks for the advice. Gathering as much research as I can, then I'm gonna go ahead and scour around local stores/craigslist/etc to see what I can find. I feel like the journey alone will be cool on it's own, and make my setup quite a bit more personal.

Really enjoying this so far, and I haven't even made much of any related purchases yet. Who would've known there was so much to the hobby?