R.I.P Nelson Mandela

Mandela was far from this peaceful, life loving man everyone pretends to know about right now.

He was a terrorist. Your own government still considered him as such until 2008. He killed many. He authorized the deaths of many more.

He was a communist. Americans still hate commies right?

And this. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necklacing

Mandela was far from this peaceful, life loving man everyone pretends to know about right now.

He was a terrorist. Your own government still considered him as such until 2008. He killed many. He authorized the deaths of many more.

okay dick cheney.

1. No one in this thread said specifically that he was only peaceful. He led guerrilla campaigns against a fucked up racist government. The US media mostly won't talk about it now, but if I lived in apartheid South Africa (and being half black) I would have done the same. Also how could he command to execute thousands of people? He didn't become president until 1994, and had no real power before then

2. Who cares if he was communist? I don't. The US government did at one point. Does Australia like communists and "terrorists" too? Whats the point? He fought a fucked up system. We all know he wasn't in prison for nothing...

3. Just because the US says some stupid fucked up shit does that mean every American agrees/condones it? What about Australia and their history of racism. Better yet, what about the incredibly fucked up campaign against the aborigines and mixed-race aborigines?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generation

This is not a pissing contest, but who cares? Man fought for South African rights, like some communists (and Gandhi as well), and eventually became an inspirational figure to many and not just the oppressed. Point?

1. No one in this thread said specifically that he was only peaceful. He led guerrilla campaigns against a fucked up racist government. The US media mostly won't talk about it now, but if I lived in apartheid South Africa (and being half black) I would have done the same. Also how could he command to execute thousands of people? He didn't become president until 1994, and had no real power before then

2. Who cares if he was communist? I don't. The US government did at one point. Does Australia like communists and "terrorists" too? Whats the point? He fought a fucked up system. We all know he wasn't in prison for nothing...

3. Just because the US says some stupid fucked up shit does that mean every American agrees/condones it? What about Australia and their history of racism. Better yet, what about the incredibly fucked up campaign against the aborigines and mixed-race aborigines?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generation

This is not a pissing contest, but who cares? Man fought for South African rights, like some communists (and Gandhi as well), and eventually became an inspirational figure to many and not just the oppressed. Point?

1. It wasn't directed at anyone in this thread specifically. Rather everyone, being the majority of people around the world glossing over him leading the military wing of the ANC in guerilla warfare against, not only the government of the time. But others that were even thought of being sympathetic toward the government. You say he had no real power, But they would have controlled the education, and thinking of hundreds of thousands of poeple. If not millions.

2. Communism is a dirty word. Australians as a whole couldn't care less. This being an American based board, with a majority of it's users being Americans, likely does. Or did at one point. And I disagree with regards to his imprisonment. Ask the next person you see why he was in jail. They won't know. Or they'll say it was because of politics. 

3. I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. Every country, every government, every everything has done some stupid shit in the past. What sucks about Australia, is that there are still too many that think it's still the 1960's. When the British got here it was genocide. Much the same as what happened in America. Again, I don't exactly see your point here.

My point with my original post, was to remind people he was no saint. He never started out a great man. And it's only modern day western media portraying him that way. He did great things. He was a martyr for his cause. He suffered for the wrongs he dealt out. And came out a better man than when he went in.

But most of all, his legacy should be that he learnt from his mistakes. Hate gets you nowhere. Violence is stupid.

My point with my original post, was to remind people he was no saint. He never started out a great man. And it's only modern day western media portraying him that way. He did great things. He was a martyr for his cause. He suffered for the wrongs he dealt out. And came out a better man than when he went in.

But most of all, his legacy should be that he learnt from his mistakes. Hate gets you nowhere. Violence is stupid.

For the most part I agree. The media in general doesn't talk too much about his ANC days. I don't condone violence in general, but understand the foundations of certain groups that perpetrate it. The violent ANC did not eventually win real power, so it showed that the violence really didn't get them anywhere. That said, he also didn't come out and help start a mass beheading campaign. He also was released upon the changing of government attitudes, brought by pressure and sanctions. He later became the president. I only brought the other points because it didn't make sense to single out the US here.

So all in all I and others do think he is pretty important, even though he wasn't always Gandhi from cradle to grave.

you really suck at trolling buddy

Move on