PO: S. Carey - Range Of Light

gmoney

SC DISTRO LP + 7": http://www.scdistribution.com/scarey/

It has been over 3 years since since S. Carey‘s All We Grow was released on Jagjaguwar, and today we announce his new full length album Range of Light will be out April 1st, 2014 (March 31 in UK). The new album, previewed in Spin last week, is his first recorded in a studio, at Justin Vernon’s April Base Studios in Wisconsin, and brings collaboration from Vernon and Sean’s live band saying “I just wanted to include them because these guys are my brothers…some of my best friends.”

The album’s title originally comes from the naturalist John Muir, who founded the environmental organization the Sierra Club and took great care with and had a great appreciation for the California’s Sierra Nevada mountains. 

“The ‘Range of Light,’ to me, is the range of my own happiness and the range in anyone’s happiness, sadness…it became a very California-inspired record for me. California and Arizona, specifically, because when I was a kid, my parents got divorced, and my dad lived in Arizona. Every summer we would go visit him and explore — basically road-trip around and camp and fish and hike, and do all that stuff in Arizona and in California, because we had a bunch of cousins and aunts and uncles that lived there. Some of the songs are about those memories, which again goes back to the ‘Range of Light.”

Range of Light is now available for pre-order via iTunes, and comes with an instant-grat download of “Fire-scene.” A pre-order with instant-grat is also available through SC Distribution, in addition to a Range of Light deluxe package, which includes limited-edition marble vinyl and a limited-edition “Fire-scene” 7″, featuring exclusive b-side “Chrysalis.” 

Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/careyrangeoflight

No one's pumped on this?  I agree that Hoyas was an... interesting direction, to say the least.  But like you just said, All We Grow is aces.  I still listen to that record pretty frequently.  I'll be keeping an eye on this, to be sure.

[edit]

That album art.  Between this and the art for Volcano Choir's Repave, I feel like all these Bon Iver-based projects are on fire with their cover selections.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if it's the Range of Light B/W splatter that's featured in the LP Catalog Bundle? I don't have any of 'em, so I might snag 'em all!

I almost did the same, but I was unsure. I ended up getting the bundle to ensure that I got it. I am sure you could email them and ask...? I had to email them to change my delivery address, and they were decently quick to reply.

I almost did the same, but I was unsure. I ended up getting the bundle to ensure that I got it. I am sure you could email them and ask...? I had to email them to change my delivery address, and they were decently quick to reply.

I'm curious about this too. If it's the splatter I'm gonna order the bundle.

• 2 weeks later...

According to SC Distribution, the LP Catalog Bundle does include the B/W LP.

My email:

Hello,

I just placed an order for S. Carey's Range of Light LP Catalog Bundle and was curious if this will include the Limited Edition B/W Marble Range of Light LP? If not, is there a way to substitute the original for the limited edition in this bundle?

Thank you,

Shawn

Their response:

Hi Shawn, 

Yes! Your order will be for the limited edition black and white vinyl. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Thanks,

Jessie

I'm assuming that the LP Bundle will be on a first-come first-serve basis for the B/W vinyl but I replied anyway with that question to clarify. I wish they would be a bit more specific on the product listing, though.

EDIT: Just got a reply from Jessie:

Hi Shawn,

The limited edition black and white vinyl is available for pre-order of the Deluxe Bundle, Catalog Bundle or if you purchase the just the LP while supplies last. Currently we have plenty of stock left so please let folks know!

http://www.scdistribution.com/scarey/

Thanks,

Jessie

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a shipping notice. 

Weren't preorders supposed to get a DL code 2 weeks prior to street date or am I out to snacks?

Either that, or it came with a download code.  I honestly don't remember which.  Just peeked online and it looks like you can hear this album if you'd really like.  As of... last Tuesday.