A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Yeah it was 94 here yesterday with the humidity, but surprisingly it still went well for me. Thanks for the suggestion, I've never really run like that before but really enjoyed it. Was definitely a challenge, especially the last mile. Knowing I had hit the 4 mile mark and was done running hard made me really want to stop running because I was freaking done haha but once I pushed through the first quarter mile of the cool down it wasn't so bad anymore. I definitely plan to do those more often. 

These were my splits:

Mile 1 - 9:02

Mile 2 - 7:31

Mile 3 - 7:25

Mile 4 - 7:16

Mile 5 - 8:35

So did I do it right? haha That's what I interpreted your suggestion to mean, was I right?

As for the challenge, I ran the 3 middle miles in 22:08 but somehow managed to still only put up a 22:54 5k time haha but it was a minute improvement over my previous best time so I'll take it.

That looks like a perfect tempo run. As long as you get faster or stay consistent, you are doing it right!

The other day I quit my run after five minutes. It was about the worst I had ever felt while running. Figured a walk would be more beneficial. All of my runs since have been great!

I'm hoping to get up to 40 miles per week this month. It feels like a lot, which is funny since I used to run 70 a week! I guess that's what happens when you start to get old.

RhoBearToe, thanks for the kind words. Just to put this into perspective, I ran 15:41 back in 2009. That was the last time I did an actual 5k road race. I'm hoping to do one later this month. I know I won't be anywhere near my PR, but I can dream!

You could have early onset of an IT Band issue. Or you could just have soreness from over-training. Inflammation can cause a good bit of discomfort. Your diagnosis right now is going to be rest to assess what's going on. Might just need a few days off, might be worse but no question not-running is the first step in healing. Good Call. 

And you all planned this latest challenge on my Birthday week - instead of boozing I plan a good 10-15 mile "Adventure Run" to celebrate. Basically I set out minus my phone and tell my wife where to pick me up in two hours. I then simply get lost and enjoy the morning. Should help in getting to 35. 

And you all planned this latest challenge on my Birthday week - instead of boozing I plan a good 10-15 mile "Adventure Run" to celebrate. Basically I set out minus my phone and tell my wife where to pick me up in two hours. I then simply get lost and enjoy the morning. Should help in getting to 35. 

How do you tell your wife where to pick you up without a phone? Sounds awesome - I'm just trying to understand logistically how that works. 

And thanks for the advice. I thought about doing an easy run tonight to try and 'run it off' but maybe that's a poor idea.

I determine the end destination in advance and base a meet-up time off of a typical training run at that distance. I pack a bag of clothes to change into, an extra water bottle and towel - so I can do a street rinse off and change after - and put it in her car for when we meet back up.

This year I plan to end at my favorite Breakfast place on the Ocean. I have a few ideas on how to get there but I don't want to overthink it yet. 

Running off soreness in recovery situations is fine but if you think it might be an injury you'll only be hurting yourself. 

I cancelled my mile run tonight because of knee problems. Womp womp.

After self-diagnosis - it appears I have runner's knee? Is that really a thing? Cause it sure sounds like I have all the symptoms.

I had the symptoms of runner's knee a few years ago as well. I went to a physical therapist and she said that I was very tight and that my glutes were weak. So I began stretching twice daily and I did some leg strength exercises (for a few months) and had no problem with it after that.

Because my glutes were weak and hamstrings were tight, when I ran my knee was actually being pulled inward toward my other knee. I didn't realize it until she told me, but when I looked down while running I could actually see that happening and it looked kind of gross, like I knew my knee shouldn't be doing that haha.

But yeah, so maybe try doing some strengthening excerices and stretching more. If you want, I can detail some of the different things she had me doing.

Details would be awesome!

I was going to just PM you since I knew this would be a long post, but I realized it could help other people so I decided to just post it. Also, I'm not an expert and I know there are some very experienced runners in here, so I figured they could chime in if anything doesn't look right.

So here is what I was doing to help strengthen my leg muscles. This is the workout (sets and reps) I was doing when I finished doing these exercises, so it might be a good idea for you to cut the reps in half or so to start out. Just do what you can and don't overdo it in the beginning to get an idea where you're at.

Workout                           Sets       Reps

Eccentric heel drop         1              20

single leg squat/sits        1              10

single leg hip thrusts       1              10

lunges                                1              20

wall sits                              2              45 (seconds)

hydrants                             1              15

side lying leg lifts              1              20

straight leg lifts                 1              15

I would do all of those every day and then I would finish with one of these exercises, which I would rotate through (i.e. long jumps Monday, high jumps Tuesday etc.):

long jumps - 1 set of 10

high jumps - 1 set of 10

double leg quadrant jumps

single leg quadrant jumps

Now, here's a description of what all of these actually are haha:

Eccentric heel drop - Stand on the bottom step of a set of stairs on the ball of your left foot. Drop your heel down as far as you can, and then back up as far as you can in a slow controlled movement and hold it at the top for a few seconds. Then back down and up for however many reps you end up doing. Then switch to the right foot. This exercise works your calf muscle so you should feel it there.

Single leg squat/sits - Stand in front of a couch or chair at a distance that you would if you were about to sit down on it. Put your right foot out so that you are standing on only your left leg. Slowly move into a seated position without actually touching the couch/chair and then stand back up. Again, controlled movements are important here. Then back down and up for however many reps you end up doing. Then switch to the right foot. This is a pretty difficult one (or it was for me) so she had me start by doing this while standing on both legs, and as my muscles got stronger, switched to a single leg. You should feel this in your quads and glutes.

Single leg hip thrusts - lay on the ground with your knees in the air and your feet on the ground toward your butt (sit-up position). Put your left leg straight out (like in leg lifts), and using your right leg thrust your hips upward (hump the sky haha), hold it for a few seconds at the highest position and then go back down (but don't let your butt hit the ground, keep going back up and down for all of your reps). Then switch and do the right leg. This works your glutes.

Lunges are pretty standard, if you don't know how to do those, look it up on youtube.

Wall sits are the same way ^. Make sure you keep everything in 90 degree angles. Back flat against the wall, upper legs 90 degrees to the wall, and lower legs 90 degrees to your upper legs.

Hydrants - my therapist called them hydrants because you look like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant haha. You get down on all fours and swing your leg out, as a dog would when peeing, and then back in and out again. Again, hold this one at the furthest out position for a few seconds before bringing it back in. Then switch and do the other leg.

Side lying leg lifts - Lay on the ground on your left side with your right leg stacked on top of your left. Keeping your upper body on the ground, bring your leg straight up, in a scissor like motion, hold it at the top and then bring it back down. Don't let your right and left leg touch when you bring it down, slow, controlled movements  (as with all of these workouts) is important, and then lift it back up again. Flip over and do the left leg.

Straight leg lifts - Lay with your back on the ground, flat with legs straight out in front of you (like when you do a "pencil" into the pool. Advanced pool moves, I know haha). Lift your left leg straight up into the air, hold it at the top and then back down. Slow and controlled, don't let it touch the ground before you bring it back up again. Then switch and do the right leg.

Long jumps - simply stand in place and jump as far as you can. Stick the landing and stay controlled.

High jumps - simply stand in place and jump as high as you can. Stick the landing and stay controlled.

Quadrant jumps - she tapped a "t" on the ground, but you don't need the tape, you can keep track of it in your head. Stand in the lower right corner, then using both legs jump forward straight ahead into the quadrant in front of you, sticking the landing and do not reset your feet, then jump backward back into the quadrant you came from. Then forward again etc. Do that back and forth 10 times each (20 total jumps). Then do it sideways. Start in the lower right corner, facing the upper right corner and jump to your left into the lower left quadrant and then without resetting your feet back over to the right. Again, back and forth 10 times for 20 total jumps. The second instance of quadrant jumps from the list is doing the same exact thing, but on one leg instead of two (this one has twice as many jumps because you need to do everything listed above on both the left and right legs).

As I said before, the problem I had was that my knee was pulling inward, so when I did all of the knee bending exercises (squat sits, quadrant jumps, long and high jumps) I was told to focus on sticking the landing and keeping my knees over top of my feet when bending and landing, not letting my knee pull inward. So when I say slow controlled movements, make sure your body is moving as it should when you do all of these exercises. Also, when you're doing all of the jumps, make sure you're paying attention to your back and your posture, keeping your back straight.

I'm not going to take any videos of myself doing these haha, but if you don't understand what I wrote you can ask me for clarification or send me a video of you doing it and I can tell you if you're doing it right.

I hope this helps!

i have decided i am going to get serious about training for the Rochester marathon, which is in early September. Anyone have a training regimen that they can recommend?

It rained. Birthday run postponed to next week. I did 8 miles on the treadmill to start the day, I can't do more than an hour on the ol' dreadmill. I'll put in a second workout at some point today to get my volume up as I peak. Someone come up with a new June Challenge.

What about most runs in the month or most consecutive days running? That's all I can think of right now. Or most time running on a treadmill ;)

What volume are you presently running per week?

I think that will determine a proper regimen build.

I'm at about 4 miles every time I run, which is about 3-4 times per week.

Anyone else notice that this months challenge is already over? Ha ha ha. I was planning to hit 30+ with my long run tomorrow but the competition was crushed in advance. Nice work.

What about most runs in the month or most consecutive days running? That's all I can think of right now. Or most time running on a treadmill ;)

I've been doing about 5-7 miles a day every day for the last couple months with the Zombies Run! APP, but I can feel it getting a little stale. I'd definitely be up for a VC challenge.

Yeah, I ran 6 today to bring my total up to about 15, checked it and saw it was over haha I thought it would keep going and be based on how long each person took, not end immediately. Kinda sucks haha

So, what new June challenge do you guys want to go for?

I've been doing about 5-7 miles a day every day for the last couple months with the Zombies Run! APP, but I can feel it getting a little stale. I'd definitely be up for a VC challenge.

Oh, and join all of the other challenges we've created! They're linked on the first post of this thread.