04/15/14: Afghan Whigs - Do To The Beast

xbpr

• 2 weeks later...

It just arrived about an hour ago.  no signed poster here

At first I thought this was white marble, but I guess one of my records just got pressed after a black record 'cause the one is bright white and the one has black marks in a marble-y design on the edges of both sides... I kinda like it though and actually this record sounds the best of the 2!

There are parts that sounded slightly off (especially on the third side), but I'm hoping a good clean'll fix that.  it's only at certain parts; sounds muffled.  hopefully no one else experiences that.  I'll update if cleaning helps at all.  sub pop vinyl is hit or miss for me.  the packaging for this release is pretty great though beyond this slight issue

The dl code doesn't work till April 15th btw.  I tried using it :P

I saw someone posted on the fan page who got a poster... grrr hah :P

Just thought I'd come back and say that I still had problems with the second record and am getting a new copy of the second record after emailing sub pop today... very cool of them 'cause I couldn't capture the sound problems on video well

I'm loving this record, but so far stuck to the first record mostly.... hah

I still love Gentlemen best 'cause that's the one that clicked for me and got me obsessed, but this is a solid album.  I always love Dulli

(As an aside, as for Sun Kil Moon, I love Kozelek, too)

Got mine yesterday and spent some time with it last night (no poster)... disappointed with some noise on side 1. Lots of pops, but hopefully a cleaning will help with that. 

Love the songs, but the production really leaves a lot to be desired. I find it very muddy - almost like some old school 128kbs mp3s. I'm not sure what Dulli was thinking. I initially thought the problems with the sound were with the stream I'd listened to, but it's clear they want the record to sound this way.

Got mine yesterday and spent some time with it last night (no poster)... disappointed with some noise on side 1. Lots of pops, but hopefully a cleaning will help with that. 

Love the songs, but the production really leaves a lot to be desired. I find it very muddy - almost like some old school 128kbs mp3s. I'm not sure what Dulli was thinking. I initially thought the problems with the sound were with the stream I'd listened to, but it's clear they want the record to sound this way.

My copy mostly sounded muddy/weird on the second record and especially on the track 'Lottery'.  I was told by sub pop that some of it was supposed to sound distorted with the guitar or something, but I dunno... it sounded worse than I remember the stream sounding.  I guess I'll find out when I get the replacement.  there were some pops here and there for me, too but mostly on the second record, so I guess it's random with that.  heh

Hm, wow... maybe I bothered sub pop for no reason (beyond a tear in the center label and some pops :P), but ah well.  I know the last Twilight Singers that I got on cd was heavily compressed 'cause I tried making a mix and it was louder than every song I tried adding so I couldn't put it on, but this sounded almost slowed down in parts that shouldn't be on top of that

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that this album was only on white vinyl,  as that is all I have seen advertised....     So yesterday I placed an order online,  and then received a phone call asking whether I wanted it on black or white.    

I'm pretty stoked to be getting it on black,   and was wondering if anyone else has it?