Marantz PM6004 vs Yamaha s500

So I'm looking into buying a second setup, this time with all new components because as much fun as vintage stuff is it's frustrating how often it needs to be maintained. I'm getting a Debut Carbon and the Wharfedale 10.1s with Sanus BF-24B stands. Both of these receivers seem pretty similar to me and they're currently the same price on amazon so I was hoping to get some input on the pros/cons on which receiver would be better for this setup to help me make a decision.

There was another thread that looked at a Yamaha and Marantz comparison so I would search that one out

You need to go and listen to them but to repeat what has been covered before I expect you will find the Yamaha sound will be more toward the top end and the Marantz more neutral. That higher up sound usually initially gets perceived as being more detailed but could be more fatiguing on the ears over time, it really is down to personal preference as some prefer the higher up sound some prefer the more neutral.

For me I would go Marantz as I much prefer the sound but that is entirely my preference.

One thing you will get pulled up on though is that neither are receivers they are integrated amplifiers and there is a big difference. A receiver is an integrated amplifier with a built in radio tuner i.e. it receives radio transmissions hence the name, the downside of a receiver being that it contains a radio tuner that produces lots of RF noise exactly where it's worse placed.

I figured I would screw up on the terminology somewhere, it was right in my head. I'll look for that thread. I also might just buy both to compare because I'm at least 2.5 hours away from anywhere that I could do an 'audition'. Thanks for the input.

I have a debut carbon, diamond 10.1 , and the as500. I'm no audiophile by any stretch but it sounds really nice to me. I was actually going to get the marantz but it was o over my budget and I got a good deal on the as500. If I was you I think I would go with the marantz, but I don't think you would be dissapointed by the as500. Allenh is right, it is a tad on the bright side but I personally don't find it bothersome

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be going with the Marantz.

I tested both out because I am in the same boat. Really liked the way both sounded, but after much consideration, and multiple visits, I chose the Marantz PM6004. The place I went to had a Rega RP1 set up along with the two receivers / int amps I was interested in which was really convenient since that's the turntable I own. on 2 separate visits I went in with a stack records I really enjoy, different genres. acoustic, metal, punk and classic rock. the definitive moment was when i listened to The Beatles Sgt. Peppers lonely heart club band. It was just 'that' much better to my ears with the Marantz than the Yamaha. Definitely a more 'warm' sound to my ears.

I just ordered it yesterday from Accesories4less (refurb) for about $345 shipped. I couldn't pass it up at that price.

I tested both out because I am in the same boat. Really liked the way both sounded, but after much consideration, and multiple visits, I chose the Marantz PM6004. The place I went to had a Rega RP1 set up along with the two receivers / int amps I was interested in which was really convenient since that's the turntable I own. on 2 separate visits I went in with a stack records I really enjoy, different genres. acoustic, metal, punk and classic rock. the definitive moment was when i listened to The Beatles Sgt. Peppers lonely heart club band. It was just 'that' much better to my ears with the Marantz than the Yamaha. Definitely a more 'warm' sound to my ears.

I just ordered it yesterday from Accesories4less (refurb) for about $345 shipped. I couldn't pass it up at that price.

So you went in to a store, tested their gear numerous times, for an amount of time, used up the salespersons time. Then didn't buy from the store?

That's the kind of thing a complete arsehole does.

So you went in to a store, tested their gear numerous times, for an amount of time, used up the salespersons time. Then didn't buy from the store?

That's the kind of thing a complete arsehole does.

I've been called worse. I did tell them upfront about the price I found online which was significantly less than what they were selling it for. For what it's worth, I did buy a very nice pair of speakers, rega belt upgrade, and quality speaker wire from the guy.

If you're considering purchase, then there's no reason for you to not do all those things and still walk away. These are very large investments and he could still come back later and buy, or not at all. Regardless, it's the salesperson's job to try and make the sale. It doesn't make him an "arsehole" if he decides not to buy.

Besides, he bought stuff anyway.

Using a local shop or any brick and mortar store, but especially small shops, as a showroom and demo area, and then turning around and buying online because online is cheaper, is an asshole move.

There is a reason it's cheaper online. They don't have the overhead of running a store!

Is there some gray area? Sure. Does it matter that he made other purchases there? OK, yeah, that probably does help, but I think it's easy to see why that is frowned upon. A scenario closer to what you describe in your post happened to me. I went to a local shop to just see what he had. I check out a couple of amps, but didn't like any enough to buy them, I left. I went to a second store, found something I liked, and bought it. That's called shopping around. Going into a store to see and test specific things with no intention of buying there, and with every intention of buying online (as BigWaveDave stated), is a asshole move.

I didn't see "Intent to buy online."

Besides, he bought stuff from the store anyway...

"I did tell them upfront about the price I found online which was significantly less than what they were selling it for."

I'm on my phone and apparently can't bold text or do fancy things with quotes, but here's the statement revealing intent. Again, it's not a black and white issue, i think it comes down to doing the right thing, and everyone's measure of that statement is different. But do you understand the cost associated with running a store, and having demo units, and losing customers to online stores? You may find next time you're ready to upgrade there is no store to go to to demo anything.

I'm not beating up on BigWaveDave, but what he did is and will always be frowned upon.

But do you understand the cost associated with running a store, and having demo units, and losing customers to online stores? You may find next time you're ready to upgrade there is no store to go to to demo anything.

I've never gone to a store to demo anything audio related. I bought all my gear online and will continue to. Considering I live 20 miles from the nearest business, and 50 miles from the nearest store of anything.

Also, I don't have experience running a store, but I feel that's what comes with the territory. 

Back on topic, I think the Marantz is the integrated amp I'll pick up with my next major gear upgrade.

Using a local shop or any brick and mortar store, but especially small shops, as a showroom and demo area, and then turning around and buying online because online is cheaper, is an asshole move.

There is a reason it's cheaper online. They don't have the overhead of running a store!

Is there some gray area? Sure. Does it matter that he made other purchases there? OK, yeah, that probably does help, but I think it's easy to see why that is frowned upon. A scenario closer to what you describe in your post happened to me. I went to a local shop to just see what he had. I check out a couple of amps, but didn't like any enough to buy them, I left. I went to a second store, found something I liked, and bought it. That's called shopping around. Going into a store to see and test specific things with no intention of buying there, and with every intention of buying online (as BigWaveDave stated), is a asshole move.

I'm not sure why I feel like I have to defend myself but here it is.As for the 'intent to buy online' I always check out prices and reviews online to see what I'm getting myself into.  I've gone to these guys in the past and buy from them quite often. I bought my big screen TV there, and recently my Rega Turntable. I'm looking to upgrade my main TV next year around tax time in which case I will again go with said store. I went in with every intention of upgrading my amp and my speakers. As previously stated I did purchase my speakers from them and also upgraded my turntable belt and speaker wire as well.

They were willing to work with me on the price of the Yamaha I was also interested in, but when it came to the Marantz receiver they just couldn't budge on it and I wasn't going to argue with them since they had been great on everything else. After showing the price of the one online, even the salesperson who I always deal with said there's no way i should pass up that deal. If it were a difference of $50 bucks or so I would have happily purchased there. As it turned out it was a savings of $175. So now I can upgrade even more. I'll get either a new cartridge, a vacuum powered record cleaner or an acrylic platter of which if its the first two, I'll also buy from them.

If that still makes me a dick then so be it. I believe in supporting locally owned businesses and shop these types of places as often as possible. Before this previous month when I decided I wanted to test out some speakers for my impending upgrade, I hadn't seen the inside of a best buy in over 2 years.

depends a little bit on the price difference, doesn't it?

If the store is sticking to the non-close out price of $600 vs the $400 online price, they should realize that they have to at least attempt to be price competive.  Mentioning the online price gives them that opportunity.

It is, after all, a discontinued model.  the updated PM6005 can be had for $700 with digital inputs.

No worries Dave. Your scenario is a bit different as everyone has pointed out or acknowledged you have purchased there before and you have a good relationship there.

The side I took was on pointing out the general principle, not necessarily trying to single you out, although I inevitably did. I'd meant to include something to this effect in my last post, as only you know what happened and what your intentions were, but by the time I typed and retyped my thoughts, I forgot to include the disclaimer.

Sorry to make you feel like you needed to defend yourself. That was never my intention.

No worries on this end either Kannibal. I received my Marantz pm 6004 yesterday. Paired with the new Focal Speakers, WOW! Such a huge sounding upgrade from running my TT through my marantz sr 5003 and my Pioneer SP-BS22. Just amazing clarity and warmth. I cant imagine how much better it will sound once my new cartridge and acrylic platter are added to my turntable but I cant wait to find out. I'm off to check the local thrift shop to see if I can find a nice standalone CD player to add to the set up.