The Streets - "A Grand Don't Come for Free" reissue

• 2 weeks later...

I respect Mike Skinner for going out with a bang, but damn, The Streets is one thing that didn't have to end so soon. I think A Grand Don't Come for Free is genius and the bipolar ending track is enough to make a grown man cry (if you've endured listening to the entire story across 2x LPs). So glad I got my original press way back in the day.

Got this in the mail today. The record sounds fine but I wouldn't recommend ordering direct from Be With Records. They charged $22 shipping and used the flimsiest mailer I've ever seen, sleeve got totally jacked in transit.

Well that's disappointing. Both for you, and because mine hasn't shown up yet. I know it's a first world problem, but goddamn I hate poorly packaged records and shipping damage.

Yeah I ordered that last test press so would be a shame if it got damaged.

Thanks for the heads up btw!

Oh cool, glad someone grabbed that!

You *should* be fine, since it's pretty tough to actually damage the vinyl itself in shipping. And since test presses just ship in generic sleeves, any damage you suffer will be pretty easily fixable, since you can just replace the sleeves.

Whelp, I take it back a bit - apparently it *can* be worse if you ordered one of the test pressings, as the label decided to ship them in inner-fucking-sleeves only (hey, they were lined, so they got the going for them) - mine arrived fine, but it' basically like someone just threw a couple records in a fedex envelope (with a flimsy piece of cardboard - nice touch) and said, "fuck it, that's good enough."

I respect Mike Skinner for going out with a bang, but damn, The Streets is one thing that didn't have to end so soon. I think A Grand Don't Come for Free is genius and the bipolar ending track is enough to make a grown man cry (if you've endured listening to the entire story across 2x LPs). So glad I got my original press way back in the day.

To tell you the truth, I wish Mike would go back to The Streets, so Rob Harvey could go back to The Music. Right now the duo is doing The D.O.T. and I would REALLY rather have The Music come back.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a copy of "Original Pirate Material" from someone on Discogs for $37 shipped. Really want to get "A Grand Don't Come For Free" but now I can't decided since some of you are saying it came is such a shitty mailer.

Well, I think we all bought direct from the label (username: bewithrecords) so some of those other copies might be okay?

"Dear seller - Quick question, do you think it's okay to just throw a record in what amounts to a fedex envelope and send it overseas?  No?  Cool."

Edit: I suppose I should point out that, since I'm selling off my collection over in the sale thread, my test press is for sale, I just haven't added it to the list yet.  Of course, it doesn't come with a pretty cover.