Jump to content
Twistedshabazz

Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Watched The Devil's Candy on Netflix last night, which is a pretty good Amityville/home invasion horror flick. The family is way into metal, so it has a good soundtrack with a small clip of "Blackfire" by our boys Goya, which was a welcome surprise. Worth a watch!

Edited by stranaspank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stranaspank said:

Watched The Devil's Candy on Netflix last night, which is a pretty good Amityville/home invasion horror flick. The family is way into metal, so it has a good soundtrack with a small clip of "Blackfire" by our boys Goya, which was a welcome surprise. Worth a watch!

Nice. Gonna have to check this out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

It looks like Electric Wizard is touring. Hopefully I can get off my ass and see them this time around. For those of you who've seen them, how are they live?

 

I saw them in Boston a few years back with Satan's Satyrs.

 

They were great. But they have a reputation for being real hit or miss.

 

Hopefully this is a more sober lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can only assume this tour will come nowhere near where I live and will just never see Electric Wizard...

 

 

also Weedeater announced a "God Luck and Good Speed" tour which is going to rule.  Seeing Primitive Man and then Weedeater the following night is going to be a one two punch of ear loss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/1/2018 at 9:39 AM, 2notepockets said:

That is some hateful sounding stuff, reminds me a little of Coffin Worm...

Anyone into Buried at Sea? Migration is some of the most hateful sounding doom I've laid ears on:

 

I saw Buried At Sea live at Roadburn ‘16, was a really great performace, heavy as fuck. They played the main stage and the sound was huge, the vocals very rough. 

Migration is a superb album for me, highly recommended!

Edited by fizio59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fizio59 said:

I saw Buried At Sea live at Roadburn ‘16, was a really great performace, heavy as fuck. They played the main stage and the sound was huge, the vocals very rough. 

Migration is a superb album for me, highly recommended!

yeah Migration is great! that Roadburn set would've been amazing.

 

Roadburn is on my bucket list have to get there at least once in my pitiful life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 2notepockets said:

yeah Migration is great! that Roadburn set would've been amazing.

 

Roadburn is on my bucket list have to get there at least once in my pitiful life

Yeah, I can’t recommend Roadburn enough man. Every edition is plenty of amazing bands from all over the globe. The 2016 edition was a dream for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fizio59 said:

Yeah, I can’t recommend Roadburn enough man. Every edition is plenty of amazing bands from all over the globe. The 2016 edition was a dream for me. 

2016 had the converge "Blood Moon" set? the line ups are huge every year and if anything just seem to get better and better!

how easy is it to get tickets these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2notepockets said:

2016 had the converge "Blood Moon" set? the line ups are huge every year and if anything just seem to get better and better!

how easy is it to get tickets these days?

Yeah, Converge played the ‘Blood Moon’ and ‘Jane Live’ sets and Neurosis 2 sets as well for a total of 5 hours for their 30th anniversary. These among a ton of others memorable live sets. 

Tickets are quite easy to get months in advance, accommodations near the venue are usually more complicated to find. 

Edited by fizio59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ebert said:

Spaceslug - Mountains & Reminiscence LP is on bandcamp.

 

https://spaceslug.bandcamp.com/album/mountains-reminiscence

 

Coloured version has only 8 left already, the black version is shipping from 1 March. I ordered the black vinyl :D

Thaaaaank you. Their $10 shipping always frustrates me, but I figure...fuck it. I love this band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Thaaaaank you. Their $10 shipping always frustrates me, but I figure...fuck it. I love this band.

No worries. Yes their shipping isn't cheap, i'm in Australia so its even worse. I ordered one of the last of Time Travel Conundrum LP's and it turned up after about 6 weeks in a cardboard package covered in polish postage stamps and a hand written address. But hey, their underground and it aint coming from amazon :lol: Great band!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Sale at Magnetic Eye. I don't need anything, but if you haven't picked up the new Summoner, now is the time.

 

Use sale code “love2018” at checkout for 25% OFF all purchases from MagneticEyeRecords.Bandcamp.Comtoday until 2/23/2018.

 

 

I feel like every time I look at their site the cost goes up on records. Where are the good ole days of them having under 20 dollar records...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Yep. The sale code only brings it down to the regular old price. I bought the Summoner during their last sale. They used to be so great with their pricing. I will also once again ask the question, "Do we really need another fuckin' tribute/covers record?".

The answer is no. I hate those stupid tribute albums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Since I don't have an awesome review blog... Here are my thoughts on these bands(I have time to kill this morning):

 

This Empress - This one is the best of the bunch. Of course, a Conan/Monolord sounding trio will almost never fail with me. I'd most likely buy this on vinyl if the price was right. Thanks for this one.

 

Bloodmoon - Sounded pretty cool. Great colors and imagery. As much as we might not want to admit it, the visual marketing of a band can very much affect perception of the music. Cool, atmospheric instrumentals.

 

Cosmic Reef Temple - I was at first repulsed and then just laughed when I focused my eyes and reread what their slogan was, "Praise Cod, Hail Sandtrout". I think the whole reef concept of this is great, but I'm not feeling the slight surf vibe. Since I am forced to listen to surf music at most tiki events, I fuckin' hate surf music now. I will pass this band along to my tiki pals. I was also surprised to see that it was recorded at Earhammer. Sounds a little thin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×