PO: Swans - To Be Kind

I will have to check these guys out. I've seen The Seer album in stores for a while and I've been intrigued based on the cover. From what I gather by reading this thread, they are kind of an acquired taste?

When I take a step back and think about the concept that is Swans, from their inauguration to where they are now, is so overwhelming. But I can't help but be in awe of it all. One of the most fascinating bands ever, imo.

I will have to check these guys out. I've seen The Seer album in stores for a while and I've been intrigued based on the cover. From what I gather by reading this thread, they are kind of an acquired taste?

I think they're an acquired taste to some extent, but I'd say they're easier to get into that a lot of other heavy music (especially the more experimental stuff like Sunn).  Their music can be ugly and confrontational, but it can also be beautiful.  Their large body of work covers a lot of elements, but it still all sounds like them.  I think another hurdle for people is the fact that some songs will hit the 20-30 minute mark.  If you have the patience for it, it's very rewarding.

I'm loving this album so much - the more I listen to it the more excited I get thinking about seeing some of these played live next month.

Not sure how it compares to The Seer for me, but have loaded my CD copy in my car for a refresher.

GHOSTDRONES, do you know which of the new tracks they plate when you saw them?

They only played four songs off this album; the other three were new. Um

... they definitely played the 34 minute long one (Toussaint...) and A Little God...

Soon they probably won't play any. The last tour, they played a bunch off To Be Kind

They only played four songs off this album; the other three were new. Um

... they definitely played the 34 minute long one (Toussaint...) and A Little God...

Soon they probably won't play any. The last tour, they played a bunch off To Be Kind

Thanks!  Hopefully they'll still be playing some of this stuff in a month, but I'm sure it will still be great if they don't.  I think they played one song off "My Father..." when I saw them tour off that, and mostly new stuff otherwise, and it was an amazing show.

I just keep hearing stretches of songs and thinking "I would love to be pummeled by that live".

Got mine from YGR yesterday.  No DVD though.

Anyone else not get a DVD?  Anyone have any luck getting one from YGR?

I don't know if I did or not, I didn't notice one - for those of you who got one, was it separate from the 3LP packaging, or stuck in it?  I picked up the 2CD+DVD set along with the 3LP, so it's entirely possible I didn't get an "extra" DVD because of that though.

But my copy of To Be Kind was signed by M.Gira 

To be fair, I believe everything Gira related purchased from YGR directly is signed by Gira - even the CDs of old Swans albums (and all Angels of Light releases) show they come signed.

It's a nice touch, and means I basically always buy directly from the source, even when cheaper options are available.

To be fair, I believe everything Gira related purchased from YGR directly is signed by Gira - even the CDs of old Swans albums (and all Angels of Light releases) show they come signed.

It's a nice touch, and means I basically always buy directly from the source, even when cheaper options are available.

Yep, he signs everything.

• 2 months later...