One side of record won't spin/play/do anything

This may be a stupid question, but I figure this thread would be perfect for that kind of thing:

I have a copy of Mogwai's Rock Action that doesn't stop when it gets to the end of each side. The needle just keeps going right onto the center label. I've never had another record do this. I'm pretty sure it's not my record player since I've tried adjusting the tone arm to no avail. It just makes me not want to listen to the record since it's probably not great for the needle and it sounds terrible at the end of each side. And just in case anyone asks, it's not a CD.

It's called a locked groove. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked_groove#Sound_recorded_in_locked_grooves

A locked groove shouldn't take the stylus onto the label...unless the label was off center.

Does the groove look like it was pressed all the way to the label?  That would be strange.

just about to post that. the locked groove should keep the needle away from the label and stuck in the loop, which is why you can still place recordings on it. if it goes into the label itself, it's just a lack of a locked groove. is it not?

does the needle still take what would be the typical amount of revolutions to reach the label, or does it float right on over once the record is actually done?

This may be a stupid question, but I figure this thread would be perfect for that kind of thing:

I have a copy of Mogwai's Rock Action that doesn't stop when it gets to the end of each side. The needle just keeps going right onto the center label. I've never had another record do this. I'm pretty sure it's not my record player since I've tried adjusting the tone arm to no avail. It just makes me not want to listen to the record since it's probably not great for the needle and it sounds terrible at the end of each side. And just in case anyone asks, it's not a CD.

This sounds like an anti skate issue.  Do you have a record that is one sided? If so when you put it on the blank side does it go right into the center, or does it hang around where you dropped it?

Weird. Well I have read all of it and even saw that you asked the same question. I was just leaving room for the possibility that it got answered somewhere and I didn't catch it.

I was referring to " Did OP answer that already?"

again, just a guess... I didn't down vote it so i don't know for sure-

• 2 months later...

I know it's super late to the party - but I used to have the same problem with my first turn table. It's probably laser guided, and the laser doesn't like coloured records. I solved it by shifting over the stock rubber slipmat to cover the sensor, or if that's not possible, get a whole new slipmat.