Moving: What to do about my records?

So I did a search and if I over looked a previous thread, please feel free to call me out and redirect me to it.

My wife and I are under contract on a new home and will hopefully be moving at the beginning of November. I'm really unsure how to even start moving my collection. I would prefer not to have 15 cardboard boxes of just records but I don't want to overload several rubbermaid containers either. Does anyone have any useful advice on transporting a collection of 1000+ (I'm not counting 7" because they are already boxed) records? If boxes are my only choice I'll do that, I just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas. Thanks in advance.

I moved recently from Florida --> Oregon. Are you going to be using a moving truck? I was able to move the bulk of my collection in the wooden storage unit I had built for it using copious amounts of bubble wrap, towels and tape. Then I moved a smaller amount of records (the more valuable ones) in the car I drove using a similar method. If you're moving in the Fall/Winter temperature shouldn't be an issue like it was for me. I only moved about half the number you are talking about though, and my storage unit was about the size of a 2x4 expedit. Obviously the logistics will be a bit different for you.

UHaul has the perfect sized boxes that I always use when moving. They fit about 60 LPs each. I've moved my 1,000+ collection twice now using these UHaul boxes and had zero damage. I'm moving again next week and once again, using these boxes. Of course, this way requires a shit load of cardboard boxes but they are easily stackable and small enough to Tetris-style fit where you need them to be.

I moved my 5x5 expedit of records box by box. It was the easiest and most secure way to do it short of having the movers do it. The movers were good, but I wanted that extra piece of mind so I moved them myself. 

And I second those uHaul boxes. The are perfect. 

Home Depot has some 14x14 boxes so you could also throw in some paper bags for cushioning.

Just make sure you get some heavy duty packing tape to secure up the boxes. I found packing tape for packages was better at securing the box bottom than the moving box tape you could buy.

UHaul has the perfect sized boxes that I always use when moving. They fit about 60 LPs each. I've moved my 1,000+ collection twice now using these UHaul boxes and had zero damage. I'm moving again next week and once again, using these boxes. Of course, this way requires a shit load of cardboard boxes but they are easily stackable and small enough to Tetris-style fit where you need them to be.

I second this method.  

I moved from MI to CA and used the storage boxes listed above from Bags Unlimited.  It would a little over 1K records and I was able to keep them in alphabetical order, listed on the box and they stacked easily and sturdily.  Then, they all broke down and I am keeping them stored under our guest bed in case I move again so I won't have to buy them all over again!

• 4 weeks later...

moving anywhere more than just in town with a huge record collection always makes me reconsider collecting records...

Same. My girlfriend said something like "I always thought the records were cute but now I hate them." This time around, I kinda agreed with her. So many heavy boxes.

I moved from NH to TX twice.... Sucked

mine wasn't that bad, i moved from NM to CA then to CO.  I think the thing my girfriend hated the most was after I moved to CO I sold off half my collection (like 2000 records).  She wanted to know why I couldn't have done that in CA.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old thread but I'm moving my 350+ record collection from Cincinnati, OH to Los Angeles. I'll be driving and they're currently in my car in small U-Haul boxes.

So my question is, would it be okay to leave my records in the car overnight in 20 degree weather for a few days? I'm obviously going to have to stop at hotels along the way every night. I've heard that the cold weather actually isn't bad but quick changes in temperature are. Will my records warp if I leave them in the cold overnight, and then turn on the heat in my car the next day when I start driving again?

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance. 

You throw em in a damn box and ship them out. Its not that fucking hard.

Could you expand on that a little for the guy?Would you reinforce the crap out of those boxes since the boxes will be heavy as shit and so they don't just explode with any sort of impact? Would you ship them media mail? Doesn't media mail have a weight limit?

• 2 months later...

So, I'm moving three hours away in a few days and obviously wish to bring my collection. Are there any things I should do to keep them safe?

I'd hate to get there and have them all seem split to hell.

I currently have them in two 13'x13'x13' wooden crates. I was thinking of just wrapping them all in towels to keep them from sliding around.

Think that'll be fine for the drive?

I'm moving to Phoenix so, they'll be the first things out of the car to avoid the heat.

Any advice or, suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks!