Moving: What to do about my records?

When I moved my collection cross-country packed them pretty tightly in cardboard boxes sized to fit them and just made sure not to put anything heavy on top of them.  Also made sure that nothing would roll into/onto them and they made it fine.  We even took our time and did it over 10 days and it was pretty warm... I was worried about warping at first, that's why I made sure to pack them pretty tightly.

I think my boxes were only 12.5" wide though so they didn't really have any space to move.  You might pack some sized cardboard down the sides to keep them from shifting. 

Anyway, my two cents.

You should work out your lower back. When I moved one mile from where I lived... It wasn't the furniture, tables, toys, boxes of dvds, TV, bedstuff that was the hard part. Carrying the damn records out of the uHaul was the back bender!

This^

The last three times I had to move my collection it was

1st time: up 3 floors

2nd:down 3 floors (duh)

3rd:up 3 floors.

and let me tell you, after the 6th or 7th box...you're feeling it.

When I moved from Minnesota to New York I packed up my vinyl in the office max boxes that are 12.5x12.5.16 and put them in a moving cube. I didn't stack anything heavy on them (just some smaller boxes of DVDs and other lighter stuff) and they all came through without a single bit of damage.

And I echo the working out your lower back. Holy crap those boxes get heavy with that much solid vinyl

Search function is a beautiful thing:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/93740-advice-on-transporting-records/?hl=%2Bmoving+%2Bboxes

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times in a hundred different "I'm moving" threads, the small boxes from UHAUL fit 12" records perfectly. No seam splits, no dents, no warping, they have handles, they stack perfectly, they're cheap, and they are the best option hands down.