78 RPM records

Anyone into collecting these?

I just recently got curious and fascinated by them, since I picked up some cool ones: 3 Django Reinhardt's and 2 Sidney Bechets. I'm awaiting 2 Big Bill Broonzy's now.

I want a collection of Blues 78 rpm's like the ones Joe Bussard or John Tefteller have. So please donate money to help me accomplish my dream :-)

Anyone into collecting these?

I just recently got curious and fascinated by them, since I picked up some cool ones: 3 Django Reinhardt's and 2 Sidney Bechets. I'm awaiting 2 Big Bill Broonzy's now.

I want a collection of Blues 78 rpm's like the ones Joe Bussard or John Tefteller have. So please donate money to help me accomplish my dream :-)

I just PM'd you a lot of money

Id say its nearly impossible to start to collect 78RPM-s at this point of time (2014), sure you might find a couple of dozen of good ones in the next 5 years, but there is no way you can get a similar collection to Joe Bussard - that guy was collecting for decades when people were throwing their stuff out, not to mention he was living in the right place to begin with. What there is to find in Belgium, really?

Its all good, dont take it personally, but I just dont understand how you can be so optimistic about it.

Way to be dicks as usual people....

If you are ever in the Tampa Bay area, there is a record store called Bananas in St. Petersburg that had a bunch of 78s when I used to go a lot. The keys player in my band used to pick them up from time to time.

I never really collected any myself because I was always paranoid about wrecking my stylus since they are acetate and tended to be "harder" (less flexible) than most of my "regular" records. Well that, and I saw a huge rabbit hole that I wasn't quite ready to go down.

Still, I would love to amass a killer jazz/blues/folk collection someday, but it isn't a huge priority since most of the stuff is probably available in another format.

Yeah, I know a collection like Bussard's is completely out of the question. He spent his whole life collecting, and was in the right place to get great stuff. So I'm well aware I'm not going to find any great rare delta blues records, but that doesn't mean a man can't daydream  :)

As for my location, Belgium, there's some great jazz records to be found! As i mentioned in my first post, I found some Django Reinhardt 78's last weekend. Especially stoked about the Minor Swing / Viper's Dream record. That's a 1937 record, and it still sounds great! I just think it's great to be able to still be playing that kind of old music on it's original format, it's true musical history!

For those who do not know who Django Reinhardt is, he is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. AND he only used two fingers on his left hand, the other ones were injured in a fire. Hendrix was a fan. 

I think there was a thread about this sometime ago. Anyway, here are my 78's worth note:

• Armstrong, Louis & Ella Fitzgerald - "You Won't Be Satisfied" b/w "The Frim Fram Sauce" (Decca 23496)

• Charles, Ray - "I Want To Know" b/w "Ain't That Love" (Atlantic A-2232)

• Charles, Ray - "I've Got A Woman" b/w "Come Back" (Atlantic A-1385)

• Charles, Ray - "Leave My Woman Alone" b/w "Lonely Avenue" (Atlantic A-1998)

• Davis, Miles - "Boplicity" b/w "Israel" (Capitol 57-60011/purple label)

• Diddley, Bo - "Bo Diddley" b/w "I'm A Man" (Checker 814/maroon label)

• Diddley, Bo - "She's Fine, She's Mine" b/w "Diddley Daddy" (Checker 819/maroon label)

• Domino, Fats - "Reeling and Rocking" b/w "Goin' Home" (Imperial 5180/red label)

• Domino, Fats - "The Fat Man" b/w "Detroit City Blues" (Imperial 5058/red label)

• Domino, Fats - "Valley of Tears" b/w "It's You I Love" (Imperial 5442/red label)

• Domino, Fats - "When My Dreamboat Comes Home" b/w "So Long" (Imperial 5396/red label)

• Domino, Fats - "You Done Me Wrong" b/w "Little School Girl" (Imperial 5272/red label)

• Five Satins, The - "Oh Happy Day" b/w "Our Love Is Forever" (Ember E-1014)

• Hawkins, Coleman - "Lonely Wine" b/w "Carioca" (Decca 28216/sample copy/not for sale)

• Johnnie & Joe - "Over The Mountain; Across The Sea" b/w "My Baby's Gone, On, On" (Chess 1654)

• Maxim Trio, The - "Ain't That Fine" b/w "Don't Put All Your Dreams In One Basket" (Swing Time 216)

• Richard, Little - "Maybe I'm Right" b/w "I Love My Baby" (Peacock 1673/red label)

• Shaw, Artie - "St. James Infirmary Blues, parts 1 & 2" (Victor 27895)

• Williams, Hank - "I'll Be A Bachelor 'Til I Die" b/w "Honky Tonkin'" (MGM 10171/yellow label)

I love 78s and unfortunately I never really find many of them. But it's not impossible to start a collection. I have a fair amount, enough to take up a shelf.

For what it's worth, 1. 78s are not acetates, they are mostly pressed on shellac... Not to say there aren't 78 rpm acetates, but I'm just trying to clear up misinformation in this thread. There were some vinyl 78s in the later years but this is the exception rather than the norm.

2. You absolutely need a cartridge solely for 78s

For what it's worth, 1. 78s are not acetates, they are mostly pressed on shellac... Not to say there aren't 78 rpm acetates, but I'm just trying to clear up misinformation in this thread. There were some vinyl 78s in the later years but this is the exception rather than the norm.

2. You absolutely need a cartridge solely for 78s

Ah yes, thanks for clearing up the acetate thing...I wasn't totally sure when I first posted that, but went with it anyway haha.

Ah yes, thanks for clearing up the acetate thing...I wasn't totally sure when I first posted that, but went with it anyway haha.

Haha, you're welcome man. No worries, I've heard 78s referred to as all sorts of things... Glass, ceramic, stone... Acetate is the least strange of all these. :P

Keep in mind my setup has changed quiiiite a bit since I was in my teens but if anyone wants an idea of how good 78's can sound (and don't get me wrong, they have the potential to sound very, very good)

http://youtu.be/uXe_c0fxFss

That's the best sounding 78 to be played on a pretty shitty setup.

I'll take it as a compliment! I've upgraded pretty much every component since then... The USB turntable is all that remains. It's really rock steady and stable and I love it's performance on LP's but I think I wanna go belt drive for my next turntable. Will upgrade when I move. The arm is definitely a weak link as well. As it sits it's not bad but could be better.

• 3 months later...