PO Soon: Antemasque Self-Titled S/T (Mars Volta + Flea) October 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Album is officially out November 10.

I'll be picking one up when I see them live in Toronto that week.  Fucking stoked for this gig, no matter how unimpressed I was with the previous mix they always kill it live, and they're playing the Mod Club no less. 

Also, it's pretty much guaranteed there is a new mix (or likely re-recordings) for this release.

If I recall the four song download actually sounded better.

this is the case (imho), and I am willing to wager that the reason the DL was taken down was due to the bad mix. Which leads me to believe that it will be remixed. Hopefully. I swear to god if I buy this album and it sounds like the 2nd download, I won't need a ZED from Mondo, I'll already have one...

• 3 weeks later...

According to Antemasque's Facebook page this is now "Officially available". Can anyone who heard the shit mix comment on the just-released version?

Curious what you think of the mix natenomm?

amazon up.

http://www.amazon.com/Antemasque/dp/B00OFX7UFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415636923&sr=8-1&keywords=antemasque+vinyl

I'm listening through it on Google Music right now, and there's some noticeable clipping (kinda standard for streaming music though) but it doesn't sound muddy. I never heard the first mix, so I can't really compare unfortunately.

I'm listening through it on Google Music right now, and there's some noticeable clipping (kinda standard for streaming music though) but it doesn't sound muddy. I never heard the first mix, so I can't really compare unfortunately.

I'm not sure it ever sounded muddy. But to be honest, I haven't heard the album in a long time. It got worse the more I listened to it, and it was really loud. I'm very curious to hear how this turned out. I also find it strange that this album took so long to come out considering the rumors on the reason why that "lost Mars Volta album" that was in the can (according to Cedric) never got released.

I'm not sure it ever sounded muddy. But to be honest, I haven't heard the album in a long time. It got worse the more I listened to it, and it was really loud. I'm very curious to hear how this turned out. I also find it strange that this album took so long to come out considering the rumors on the reason why that "lost Mars Volta album" that was in the can (according to Cedric) never got released.

I missed this...care to give a quick rundown?

Sure. Right after Octahedron was released, Cedric said in an interview that The Mars Volta already had another album completed and they were hoping to release it soon (within a year). It never came out, and the rumor was Omar had already moved on and didn't want to release it.

I have NO WAY of knowing if this was true, or found to be false by bigger TMV fans than I, but that's how I remember it.

It's not a dig at Omar either. If it is true, I get it, the guy is a very prolific musician and songwriter, and he probably moves through phases and ideas very quickly. The next album was very different in a lot of ways, so it would make sense that Omar had tired of what they were doing at the time.

Sure. Right after Octahedron was released, Cedric said in an interview that The Mars Volta already had another album completed and they were hoping to release it soon (within a year). It never came out, and the rumor was Omar had already moved on and didn't want to release it.

I have NO WAY of knowing if this was true, or found to be false by bigger TMV fans than I, but that's how I remember it.

It's not a dig at Omar either. If it is true, I get it, the guy is a very prolific musician and songwriter, and he probably moves through phases and ideas very quickly. The next album was very different in a lot of ways, so it would make sense that Omar had tired of what they were doing at the time.

This was true. Omar tends to record a ton of shit and never release a lot of it. Like ther was supposed to be a scabdates 2.0 with songs off Frances (never happened) a Mars volta tour documentary (never happened) Omar Rodriguez Lopez group russian tour documentary (never happened) plus all the movies he's made, and tons of solo material that is just sitting in his vault. Bosnian Rainbows 2 was also supposed to come out this year (not happening) its already recorde and finished just sitting waiting on who knows what.

He tends to change his mid often and move on to other projects and music. Hell, all the music for Noctpurniquet was recorded and finished at least 2 years before Cedric even wrote the lyrics.

At an Antemasque show I went to a few months ago, Cedric said they have the second album already recorded and will come out early next year