Talons: "New Topographics" /400 Black at Topshelf - 20 copies @ $20 each

To those interested in a group buy:

The total cost of just the LP comes out to $34 + $3 Media Mail.  That's $24, and then $10 (and change) when you break down the shipping price between four people.  The additional $3 covers shipping costs at a later date, once I receive the records.  If you don't trust me or would prefer tracking on your Media Mail for whatever reason, you can up to that to $4.  I'm just trying to keep the costs down as much as possible.

If you're ordering the LP (black, /400) for just yourself... you're looking at $45 PPD.  Haggard.  And if you're interested in the bundle for just yourself, that's $67 PPD.  An extra $22 for a limited (and awesome?) variant, horrible t-shirt, CD, and postcards.  Completely your call.  I know Topshelf said that they would be receiving the standard black, /400.  They'll probably want less than $20 PPD when that's all said and done.  I think that may be the most practical route.  I'll inquire to see how many copies they may be getting, and what the price may be.  Who knows? - maybe there will be a change of plans and they'll have an exclusive US variant.  A guy can dream.

Let me know what you guys want to do, if anything.  And while you think it over, check out this new track.

Probably what I'm going to do as well.  Doesn't help that the new song pales in comparison to the first one they released... but maybe that's just me listening to it while being tired and deterred by the price on this thing.  I e-mail Topshelf with pretty much everything you'd want to know about them carrying this.  I'll bump the thread once they get back to me.

Thanks for doing all the leg work and number crunching!

It would be nice if they let 20 or so go without the bundle; who knows, like Derek said Topshelf may get a box if they know we'll pay small premium here.  If not, I'll just do the black from TS, as I need to get my brother a copy of Hollow Realms (only $8) and some toe records.

Then again next year, we may find the /100 like Sasan and I did on the first if those bundles don't sell like they apparently think they will. 

I'm liking the 1 minute previews, but for postrock, that's probably equivalent to a 5 second mystery riff on a classic rock track - hard to judge.

So, we'll wait and see if TS answers Derek

Alright, waiting for TSR it is. Splatter looks pretty sweet but not worth getting the extra stuff with it.

Since you guys hit the appropriate number to make the bulk buy work out, I'll probably just wait for TSR to get it.  The splatter is tempting, but I'll be happy with black and a few extra dollars in my pocket.

I don't think anyone's doing a bulk buy at this point.  Assuming we all went for the standard press (/400) that Topshelf said they'd be receiving, we'd all spend about $35 PPD.  I see no point in doing that if Topshelf will have them for $18 PPD or so.  I think we'll all have time to decide what we want to do, too.

And for those wondering, Topshelf haven't gotten back to me yet.

Hey guys, Oli from the band (Talons) here. Really cool to see that you folks are interested in what our little band across the pond is up to, thanks for the support.

At the moment Topshelf sadly haven't been involved, but our label here in the UK work with them on a number of releases & so as soon as we hear whether plans exist to hopefully stock the album stateside we'll aim let you all know. Really appreciate that international postage is a killer! (normally it's the other way round for us guys, shipping in from the US).

Hope you like the new material in any case, can't wait for people to hear the whole album as one.

Hey guys, Oli from the band (Talons) here. Really cool to see that you folks are interested in what our little band across the pond is up to, thanks for the support.

At the moment Topshelf sadly haven't been involved, but our label here in the UK work with them on a number of releases & so as soon as we hear whether plans exist to hopefully stock the album stateside we'll aim let you all know. Really appreciate that international postage is a killer! (normally it's the other way round for us guys, shipping in from the US).

Hope you like the new material in any case, can't wait for people to hear the whole album as one.

Hi Oli, nice to see band members over here. Any chance to get the Splatter outside the bundle? Will you get any tour presses as well this time?

Thanks for checking in! :)

I'm just concerned that Topshelf has made 0 effort to import any copies on vinyl, thus far.

I asked them on Twitter today and they said they would be getting some...

1. Hope everyone's enjoying the new track! For those unaware, there's a new track and preorder info for Album 2 here http://gotalons.com/ 

2. @gotalons After your European fans get their fill, there are some US who would love a chance at Splatter or Black vinyl @topshelfrecords

Hey guys, Oli again.  

Can't be certain of numbers or timings etc, but have discussed with our label here and we do understand that Topshelf will be bringing some across the pond for you (may well be after the official release date). Also can't promise whether this will be Black or Spatter, but for safety I would say it is more likely to be the black ones.

hope this helps, and of course thanks for the interest!

Hey guys, Oli again.  

Can't be certain of numbers or timings etc, but have discussed with our label here and we do understand that Topshelf will be bringing some across the pond for you (may well be after the official release date). Also can't promise whether this will be Black or Spatter, but for safety I would say it is more likely to be the black ones.

hope this helps, and of course thanks for the interest!

Thanks, Oli!

edit: Black will match my Hollow Realm, just hope "Topshelf" prices. Will pick up some more of those when the new one comes in since they are $8 and still have the Clear and White available.

• 3 weeks later...
I can definitely see people having different opinions on this album, but I just finished my first go around and it had quite an impact on me. After a few more listens this may be an AOTY contender. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I'm really into it.

To me, it sounds like a very natural progression for the band.  They traded in a bit of their technicality for better compositions this time around.  Reverie may be the least "happening" song on the album, but it's one of the more gorgeous songs I've heard this year.  A lot of moments feel like they'd nicely accompany some post-apocalytpic scenery; love the way those desolate vibes tie in with the album art.

Still can't justify that package, though, even if it is available.  I love me some clear-splatter vinyl, but I actually think the black looks a whole lot cleaner with the elegant packaging.  Will buy either variant, either way.  Really hope Topshelf can secure some copies soon – I'd love to spin this.