Hey, so I've been getting very familiar with the world of horticulture and I recently started buying a lot of plants, mostly tomatoes and some peppers, as well as some cacti and succulents, to start a garden and create some containers as well. 

Anyone on here grow? Would anyone like to discuss growing secrets or get advice on what's good out in the landscape? Any gardens they'd like share photos of? 

I have a gender neutral cactus named Finley. I've considered growin some before, but I heard it's pretty hard. I also don't really have the space or time for a garden, but it's something I'd love to do in the future.

I'm thinking of getting a few more plants for my room, just because they bring such great energy.

Having a garden may be the #1 reason I'm looking to buy a house this summer.  My dad always had a garden, so hopefully I inherited some of his green thumb.  I have a couple pepper plants and herbs in pots on my apt's balcony, but I'd love  to have some nice raised beds for a proper garden.  I really want to grow hops, too.

I have a gender neutral cactus named Finley. I've considered growin some before, but I heard it's pretty hard. I also don't really have the space or time for a garden, but it's something I'd love to do in the future.

I'm thinking of getting a few more plants for my room, just because they bring such great energy.

Any idea what kind of cacti Finley is? It can be hard depending on the conditions and type of soil the plants are being exposed to. It's a really rewarding labor though. 

Having a garden may be the #1 reason I'm looking to buy a house this summer.  My dad always had a garden, so hopefully I inherited some of his green thumb.  I have a couple pepper plants and herbs in pots on my apt's balcony, but I'd love  to have some nice raised beds for a proper garden.  I really want to grow hops, too.

That's one of the things I'm most excited about as well! I'm going to transplant all of my specimens into 5 gallon buckets to keep the root balls in decent shape until I can move out later this summer. I'm going to cut some raised beds out of cedar wood once I figure out what kind of space I'm dealing with. 

the new house I'm renting has three garden areas. I've already got plans for some tomatoes!

My parents always had a HUGE garden, tons of veggies, herbs, some fruit, so I'm looking forward to trying it myself.

anyone use or heard of Worm tea?

I had a professor in college who was doing some amazing things with it at the university greenhouse. the plants that were treated with worm compost tea were almost twice the size of those treated with miraclegro and similar products. I might look into getting some when I move.

Nice! My dad grew up on a farm so he was always good with gardening. My parents have a really nice garden with tomatoes, different kinds of peppers, squash, eggplant, onions, and lots of herbs. I learned a lot from him.

When I first moved into my house I started with a small herb garden. To me, herbs are one of the easiest things to grow and maintain. If they start looking droopy then just add some water. Plus having an herb garden makes cooking and seasoning so much better!!!!  I also fertilize all of my plants and herbs twice a year with compost that I make myself.

Currently I am growing tomatoes, strawberries, limes, sage, chives, basil, mint, thyme, chamomile, oregano, I have a large rosemary bush in my backyard and a huge fig tree in my front yard. We had two fig trees but it was too much and we pulled the second one out. Figs would fall and get all onto the driveway. It was a big, stinky and sticky mess so I am glad we got rid of the excess. 

Since winter ended I also got some little succulents to put in the house to replace all of the plants and seedlings that I was storing in my kitchen to keep away from frost danger or whatever. So I have a Calico Kitten Crassula succulent, a donkey's tail succulent, a little aloe plant and a Sedum Suaveolens type succulent. I did have a hanging Senecio banana leaf succulent, but it was hanging in a dark area of the house and quickly started dying on me. Currently I am trying to save it, but who knows if it will make it. 

um..... I LOVE plants, in case you couldn't tell. lol 

the new house I'm renting has three garden areas. I've already got plans for some tomatoes!

My parents always had a HUGE garden, tons of veggies, herbs, some fruit, so I'm looking forward to trying it myself.

anyone use or heard of Worm tea?

I had a professor in college who was doing some amazing things with it at the university greenhouse. the plants that were treated with worm compost tea were almost twice the size of those treated with miraclegro and similar products. I might look into getting some when I move.

I've heard of the worm compost tea. It's similar to regular composting, but you add earth worms to help the compost decompose faster? I think that's what it is. I keep a small compost container in my kitchen and then move it out to my yard whenever it gets full. Then every once in a while I will stir up the large container of compost and add some compost starter. I love composting and think if you are going to have a garden you should really do your own compost. You save so much money and it's better for the environment. Plus with all of the fruits, veggies and eggs we go through it would be dumb of us not to compost since we do have a little garden that increases each year. 

Even though I love having a garden and growing plants I am no expert. It's definitely been a learning process and I've killed my fair share of plants too.  :wacko:

No clue! I bought him at a store for $2. He's just a tiny little thing.

Post a pic. I might be able to identify him for you. 

I'm about to go buy some potting mix to transplant all of my tomatoes and peppers into temporary pots so they can get some growth going.

Lauryn. Those senecios... became of a big fan of those recently. I participated in the Southern California Spring Garden show that just passed with Orange Coast College and we used them in our design. They look so spiffy. Gotta get me some!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have obsessively planning some raised beds now that I have a yard I can call my own. I'm thinking two 4x4' and two 4x8' beds, but I may be biting off more than I can chew. Using a square foot plan, that's a shitload of planting space. I don't know if I'm planning too much of one thing, too little of another. Who knows if I couled eat it all in time.

One 4x4 will be exclusively an asparagus bed. Hopefully it'll take off and I can keep it going for a couple years.

The other 4x4 will be all my tomatoes. Equal mix of cherry, medium, and heirloom. A couple basil and garlic plants in there because they're buddies.

The big beds are complicated. I have 5 kinds of peppers, 4 types of lettuce, 3 heavy greens, onions, herbs, beets, radishes, beans, and peas. I think I'm overdoing it, but I'm so excited!

I have obsessively planning some raised beds now that I have a yard I can call my own. I'm thinking two 4x4' and two 4x8' beds, but I may be biting off more than I can chew. Using a square foot plan, that's a shitload of planting space. I don't know if I'm planning too much of one thing, too little of another. Who knows if I couled eat it all in time.

One 4x4 will be exclusively an asparagus bed. Hopefully it'll take off and I can keep it going for a couple years.

The other 4x4 will be all my tomatoes. Equal mix of cherry, medium, and heirloom. A couple basil and garlic plants in there because they're buddies.

The big beds are complicated. I have 5 kinds of peppers, 4 types of lettuce, 3 heavy greens, onions, herbs, beets, radishes, beans, and peas. I think I'm overdoing it, but I'm so excited!

Awesome! That is a lot of space, considering you'd probably have some workspace between them. If you have the space to dedicate, and the time, go for it! Give the leftovers to friends and neighbors. I do that with my peppers. 

Those big beds sound intense. If I honestly had the time to put into my garden, I'd go down that route, but I threw myself into so many projects these past few months that my peppers went to hell. I'm hoping they will all come back in the spring. 

What varieties of peppers are you growing?

What varieties of peppers are you growing?

It's winter, so no peppers currently. But over the summer, peppers a plenty!

Black Pearl

Cayenne

Ghost

Habanero

The black pearls are my favorite in terms of taste and heat. Plus they literally make your mouth salivate for a good half hour after a chomp outta one.

My wife and I bought a 1 acre property a year and a half ago. About 3/4 of it, maybe a titch less, is fenced for the dogs. We have grapes and rhubarb as well as some raspberry and blackberry bushes in the backyard, but the pooches destroy the rest of the gardens. The berry bushes use to run right up the middle of the yard, so I put them back against the back wall of our house. I don't think they're getting as much sun as the need, so I'll probably have to move them again in the spring and hope they survive. We have a big patch of land at the back on the property that's unused at the moment. All that's back there is a large patch of grass and our burn pile.

Living in the country, most of our neighbours have gardens in the summer months, so we're thinking of talking to them and seeing if we can all grow different stuff and share with each other. We want to put some gardens in the back, beyond the fence line. The only problem is it back onto a field and there are always deer, raccoons, cayotes, etc. around that'll mess stuff up! 

23wv1on.jpg

All that space and we the dogs would just dig up the stuff we plant!