Can we make a new "no fishing" rule?

forgeagain

Seriously, I'm getting really sick of these "FOR SALE" threads that essentially say "Everything in my trade list except for X, Y, and Z is up for sale. I'm not going to set prices, I don't actually want to sell any of it, and I don't really need the money, so make offers via PM/in this post/email. NO LOWBALL OFFERS"

Honestly, does this ever work? These threads are so vague. It seems as if these people are expecting to get an offer that completely blows them away for a record that's not really worth much. If you expect to get an eBay price offer for a record, put the thing on eBay. All that happens is a hundred people make an offer that is met with the response of "not interested" or "not for sale at that price."

Also, if everything on your list is up for sale, what the hell are you doing collecting the stuff in the first place? You'd probably be better off not buying anything and investing your money in wholesale drugs. Then you can make posts that are say "I've got heroin, weed, and blow up for sale, but not opium. Make an offer."

well if i ever do this, it's usually because i need the money. if not that, then it's because i'm just letting go of records that don't get much use. sometimes rare or valuable, but didn't receive the love and respect that a true fan would give it. i'll admit that i do turn down offers, but most of the time it's because i have a sentimental attachment to that record, or it's a collection.

Seriously? You're on the internet. God forbid someone waste your precious time on the internet message boards.

I keep everything in my list for trade because everything is for trade if someone has something really awesome to offer me.

Everyone on this board is cool, but jesus do you people like to bitch about stuff that doesn't matter.

If you expect *me* to buy *your* record, don't expect me to know how much its worth, and don't expect me to do the research. If you really want sell it, price it, at a reasonable rate. Not because you saw it go for $100 on ebay.

i think doing some research would make you a better shopper. you'll never know if some guy would easily sell you a 7" for $40 while it's still available from the label for $4. because chances are, shady sellers would.

I'm sorry, but I just can't handle dealing with strokes. When I see a FS/FT thread, I want there to be actual records for sale. I have no problem with "make an offer" followed by a response with an actual counter-offer. Nor do I have a problem with "these are going on eBay unless someone wants to make an offer first." There's just something inherently dishonest about not being willing to just name a price. It's like you're hoping that they'll accidentally offer too much and you'll be able to swindle them. The reason people lowball is because they too are afraid to offer too much when you'd take less for the record. It's like a game of chicken.

I have no problem with people keeping their entire tradelist "up for grabs" so to speak, but do people really need to keep posting about it? It's a TRADE list. They're SUPPOSED to be available for trade, otherwise you should just call it a brag list. This is why I don't keep a list of records I don't plan to get rid of. Every once in a while, I'll go through them, pick out some stuff I don't listen to much, and add it to the list.

If you expect *me* to buy *your* record, don't expect me to know how much its worth, and don't expect me to do the research. If you really want sell it, price it, at a reasonable rate. Not because you saw it go for $100 on ebay.

i think doing some research would make you a better shopper. you'll never know if some guy would easily sell you a 7" for $40 while it's still available from the label for $4. because chances are, shady sellers would.

This is an excellent example of why you should never, ever pay $40 for a 7". Haha.

it's a good point but fuck man I don't know why anyone would pay $40 for a 7"

it's a good point but fuck man I don't know why anyone would pay $40 for a 7"

everyone makes their first big mistake in buying records at some point. haha.

let me rephrase... it's like buying an LP for $50 from someone when it's still available through a couple of distros for $15.

This is poor logic. Do you go to a car dealership and just say, "Looking, you're selling the car, how much is it worth, goddammit?!"

Of course not, because that's ridiculous. It makes you a bad buyer and is how you get swindled. If you always trust every seller to state the price you probably overpay for a lot of records.

Besides, this ignores one of the basic principles of buying ANYTHING at all... an object is only worth as much as you're willing to pay for it.

Doing research is nearly impossible. Unless the record is always on ebay or pricey enough to make popsike. There really is not anywhere else to go, unless everyone starts making "what's it worth" threads.

ex: The Shook Ones are a popular band on this board. If I wanted to sell my copy of Sixteen on Brown/White, there would be nowhere to find that record's value. If you search ebay's completed auctions, you get two copies of the rec. release version and that's it. Those two went for $71 and $91. Anyone looking to buy the one I have would have no clue what to offer (and frankly, I own the record and have no idea what it's worth).

Doing research is nearly impossible. Unless the record is always on ebay or pricey enough to make popsike. There really is not anywhere else to go, unless everyone starts making "what's it worth" threads.

ex: The Shook Ones are a popular band on this board. If I wanted to sell my copy of Sixteen on Brown/White, there would be nowhere to find that record's value. If you search ebay's completed auctions, you get two copies of the rec. release version and that's it. Those two went for $71 and $91. Anyone looking to buy the one I have would have no clue what to offer (and frankly, I own the record and have no idea what it's worth).

So wait, you said sometimes researching is impossible and you decided to back that argument up with an instance where you researched and found prices? I'm confused. Sounds like $71-$91 is a good negotiating point for that record.

So wait, you said sometimes researching is impossible and you decided to back that argument up with an instance where you researched and found prices? I'm confused. Sounds like $71-$91 is a good negotiating point for that record.

it was $71-$91 for the tour edition, not the regular one which he owns

In the marketplace the onus is always on buyers to figure out what they thinks something is "worth". If they're not willing to put in the research then they can expect to pay additional "information costs" or whatever you want to call it. If there is insufficient information available then the buyer needs to work out internally how much they value the item. If you live in the real world and have to pay bills then that becomes pretty easy, in my experience.

And, sure, there might be some people in the "DIY community" who choose to separate themselves from maximising profit, but as a general rule sellers are free to ask for whatever they can get; it's not like record selling somehow by definition escapes the powers of capitalism. (Ebay makes that much obvious. ) But at the same time, if they're not willing to list prices then it's silly for them to get upset when someone doesn't offer more than they think they might be able to buy their stuff for. The fact that buyers aren't likely to do that is why those kinds of threads normally go nowhere, I agree. In that regard set sales are far more effective; either that or use Ebay.

it was $71-$91 for the tour edition, not the regular one which he owns

^Yeah. There were no results for the regular first press that I have. Only the outrageously priced rec. release one, giving the buyer no idea what the regular one is worth.