Paypal wants a copy of your social, photo id, and a utility bill!

I'm wondering if the length of time you've been using paypal has an impact on whether or not they need this info. Been using it for over 12 years now with the same bank account, logging in and using it every day and haven't got this message. I've also been transferring money to my bank account every day the past couple of weeks.

I hope I don't run into this...

Could this be a new policy because eBay was hacked?

i thought this, this morning.

i wonder if those who get this had changed their passwords OR transfer money IN a lot.

ive never transferred money into my paypal. always out and still no notifications...and i didnt change PW after the ebay hack job.

I'm not underage, but for those that are, and use PayPal, how would THEY have a Utility bill and photo ID etc. I just think it's way too much information to be asking for, I can see if you had been reported a couple of times..  I haven't logged into PayPal on a browser yet, I just don't want to see this message, haha. 

Ive never been reported as far as i know, never even had a case against me opened. Also am nowhere close to the 200item/20k threshold. The rep i spoke to said something about it being part of the banking secrecy act, but when i asked for further info he didnt have any. I havent gotten around to researching that piece of legislation, bit it would not be a surpriseif that was in fact included. I think we all know that older rich people(politicians) are super up to date on all things technological.

A quick google search shows the bank secrecy act was passed in1970, signed into law by tricky dick nixon.

If you do a search for "PayPal id verification" you see other forum posts like this going back to 2008 so it's nothing new. PayPal walks a fine line between being a simple payment processor and being a bank. All banks are required by federal law to collect specific information on the customers to prevent money laundering, this could be a process of complying with those regulations. It would make a lot of sense for those users that transfer money in because that would be a fairly easy way to launder money.

Ok one more, i talked to a different rep a few minutes ago, i was told that at this time, the issue will only arise if you try to add money to the paypal account from the linked funding source, this is the only restriction in place. He said that if you dont comply with their request for documentation the only aspect of the system to be affected will be the ability to add money. He further stated that he was not aware of any plans to add further restrictions at this time for failure to comply.

So i want to thoroughly apologize if my initial post freaked anyone out.

If you do a search for "PayPal id verification" you see other forum posts like this going back to 2008 so it's nothing new. PayPal walks a fine line between being a simple payment processor and being a bank. All banks are required by federal law to collect specific information on the customers to prevent money laundering, this could be a process of complying with those regulations. It would make a lot of sense for those users that transfer money in because that would be a fairly easy way to launder money.

Exactly, the rep i spoke to today seemed much more informed than the one from yesterday .

Ok one more, i talked to a different rep a few minutes ago, i was told that at this time, the issue will only arise if you try to add money to the paypal account from the linked funding source, this is the only restriction in place. He said that if you dont comply with their request for documentation the only aspect of the system to be affected will be the ability to add money. He further stated that he was not aware of any plans to add further restrictions at this time for failure to comply.

I see, typical customer service these days, you have to speak to multiple reps to get it straight. Annoying! Thanks for clarifying. 

This is what I figured.

Google Wallet did the same shit to me two weeks ago.  My buddy sent me a $20 transaction using Google Wallet and they wanted all of that same documentation to log in to my account... I spoke to a rep and he was basically saying "Sorry if this inconveniences you but we are all about security." I told him I'd be more interested in signing up for the service and then worrying about the security of it.

30 mins later I told him I'd never give that information to a company who wasn't offering me a job and told him to forget it.  Returned the Google Wallet $20 to my friend and he handed me a $20 bill the next day.

Fuck you sometimes, technology.

Ive never been reported as far as i know, never even had a case against me opened. Also am nowhere close to the 200item/20k threshold. The rep i spoke to said something about it being part of the banking secrecy act, but when i asked for further info he didnt have any. I havent gotten around to researching that piece of legislation, bit it would not be a surpriseif that was in fact included. I think we all know that older rich people(politicians) are super up to date on all things technological.

A quick google search shows the bank secrecy act was passed in1970, signed into law by tricky dick nixon.

What do you mean by the 200 item/20K threshold?