Corporate stores vs record stores

What's the appeal of buying from Urban Outfitters or Hot Topic or places like that? Are the prices cheaper? Is it easier for you? Is it the exclusive presses?

I never buy records from places like that because in my experience you can get the products from the labels/artists or independent shops just as easily. Personally if there's a chance to get the same album from a record store (even for slightly more £££) then I'll shop there, definitely. We don't have Hot Topic stores here but the Urban Outfitters in my city, aside from being a cathedral of utterly awful pricks, has totally ridiculous prices for albums that can easily be bought elsewhere.

I prefer to buy directly from the labels.  I might buy 1 record from Hot Topic in an entire year.  This just happened yesterday because I wanted to pick up Diamond Youth's first EP and it was sold out on Topshelf's website as well as Black Numbers, so I was told HT's website still had it.  I tried to find someone on here who was selling it for cost, but when that came up empty I bought it at HT for $5 more than Topshelf sold it for.  =\

I'll never buy a record from UO.  & Before yesterday, I can't remember the last time I bought a record from HT.

Are there really that many exclusive presses in Hot Topics? What kind of stuff? 

I also didn't realise that UO did exclusives either.

With Hot Topic ... actually yeah. And with the success of those albums they are getting more and more exclusives.

Sometimes these are just exclusive colors, but sometimes it's an exclusive pressing only available there.

UO sometimes gets an exclusive color of mainstream "Indie" bands.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?id=A_VINYL_EXCLUSIVE&cm_sp=NAV_HOVER-_-MUSIC-_-A_VINYL_EXCLUSIVE

punx points are redeemable at hot topic, right?

No, that would be "Poseur Points," but I can definitely see how you could get the two confused.

I only buy from Hot Topic if it's a variant is only available through them. I've only bought one record from UO, only because it was the same variant the band was selling but sold out of. 

I mostly buy records online through labels. Maybe every now and then at a show. 

If it's a standard ass record that I can buy at anytime without worrying about it selling out and costing me a fucking fortune down the line, I'll make my way to my local shop and get it there, but there are so many PO's coming up as of late and things that I'm saving up for, that I rarely get as chance to buy these standard ass records anymore. I want to buy some DEVO records dammit! Haha.

I'll go to my local stores before I go online just because I can save on shipping and things are usually the same price and I like to help out small businesses. But there is one guy who works part time and whenever I see him I usually just leave. He's such an ass. Simple questions turn into him making me feel like an idiot. That's when I'll go to a bigger company like Hastings to find what I want. But he's rarely there so it's usual not a problem to shop local.

I'm basically going to mimic everyone else here, but I typically try to buy directly from the labels themselves, or I'll go to my local shop, since they're actually pretty good about getting the albums I want without adding too much to the sticker price. Amazon gets my business after that, since I have Prime.

I do go to Hot Topic and UO for stuff sometimes, but usually only if they're having a good sale going on; if they don't, I try to limit myself to the clearance/bargain bins. I don't like paying full price at those places, since they tend to charge way too much.

There is a record shop maybe an hour away that I usually try to buy from. They don't always have what I want in stock, but they do always order stuff for me if it's available. I could order the stuff myself for about the same price and without the inconvenient hour's drive, but it's a great shop and I like supporting them if I can.

I generally just order online for sales, out-of-print albums, or for some pre-orders. I've never bought records from any other chain stores.