Pressing methods

I used to believe that any recording put to digital and then put on vinyl would sound bad. 

I bought a copy of Umphrey's McGee class of 2011 and I'm sure the signal was digital at some point. 

What I think is if you record the sound onto analog it transfers the nuances. A digital copy sounds fine, I'm not bashing the digital stuff. But there is definitely a loss when digital is pressed in a certain way. 

Both at their peak aren't bad. They're different. 

Hope this made sense.

Vinyl has made obvious what my dad told me following the advent of mp3s. People used to get into speakers and sound and vinyl necessitates that. 

I get a great sound from digital but it's kuind of by accident. 

Both are replicated close. Vinyl pressed right has the edge through, by a good deal. 

From a completely "scientific" standpoint or whatever, vinyl is only truly superior to digital when the masters being pressed to vinyl exceed the 44.1khz/16bit standard that CDs are manufactured at. 

That said, fuck it, I buy tons of records and CDs. I just like music and I like collecting shit, who cares about the rest?

From a completely "scientific" standpoint or whatever, vinyl is only truly superior to digital when the masters being pressed to vinyl exceed the 44.1khz/16bit standard that CDs are manufactured at. 

That said, fuck it, I buy tons of records and CDs. I just like music and I like collecting shit, who cares about the rest?

Yea I was thinking about this, but if you listen to analog and the timbre is more real. If it's done right. The digital masters don't sound good, I'd rather listen to a digital copy. It's something to do with how it's pressed. 

CDs supposedly have more dynamics, it just doesn't sound as real. Live. If it's done right and I can't figure out what it is.

Umphrey's did an amazing job on the live album. But Mantis sounds like it was a digital mix that was pressed onto the record without actually recording it, that has to be the reason, if it's recorded you know the sound then it captures the stuff it can replicate and if it's just pressed it doesn't.

One of their guys wrote what they did, I'm going to listen to the next one and see if it's lost the quality. I'm gonna stop spending money on these things for a while. 

Studies don't really mean anything. I mean it's what a computer told you. Computer listened to the digital and the analog and computer noticed things humans can quantify but computer can't hear what we can. 

It sounds real, I don't think that can be measured.

It's basically the way uncompressed audio was purported to be, but I notice such a small difference I use mp3s. 

That's my point if you collect records you're a faggot. You spend money for that sound, not something that sounds worse that you think is cool. 

I don't know if half the products on the market are good. But they're cool. And you are one the douche bags I have to encounter because of this hobby. 

That's my point if you collect records you're a faggot. You spend money for that sound, not something that sounds worse that you think is cool.

I don't know if half the products on the market are good. But they're cool. And you are one the douche bags I have to encounter because of this hobby.

Nope.