Anyone ever put out a "tribute" LP

i did the Pegboy tribute CD and it went pretty smooth because I'm on pretty good acquaintance terms with them, and they thought I was insane for doing the comp...but as far as getting permission, you can either get a waiver from the band or license the songs which will probably cost between $20-80 per song.

i did the Pegboy tribute CD and it went pretty smooth because I'm on pretty good acquaintance terms with them, and they thought I was insane for doing the comp...but as far as getting permission, you can either get a waiver from the band or license the songs which will probably cost between $20-80 per song.

depending on what band you are doing a "tribute" to, it can cost a hell of a lot more than that per song.

it can also depend on how many you are pressing, etc.

im pretty sure thats whyt he In these black days (black cabbath tribute) CD never came out on hydra head. because of licensing costs.

i think forge again, who posts on here, put out a record with a cover song on it, i think i remember reading on the insert, that they had to pay like a buck a record or something for the license of the song.

yeah, despite my obvious differences...

I've done two tribute releases and they're more to be done for fun rather than money...which is why the Pegboy tribute comp was cheap and the Shot Baker / Vacation Bible School split 7" where they both covered Vindictives songs was just a 7".

I just love when bands do cover songs, so I really enjoy tribute comps, I think they can be fun.

i am still waiting on the sewer trout/elmer that is in the process of being made. i mean just look at the list so far of possible bands

Confirmed so far:

Samiam (Maybe) per Sergie

The Wynona Riders per Skip

Hal's current band

The Queers per Joe King

Still waiting to hear back from:

Jeff Ott

Ben Weasel

The Descendents

Tilt

Rabbid Lassie

Jawbreaker

Reagan Youth

Pegboy

Parasites

Down By Law

Unknown Hinson

The Offspring

Rancid

The Groucho Marxists

Nofx

The Lookouts

Corrupted Morals

Bad Religion

Beatnik Termites

J Church

Radon

Big Drill Car

Vindictives

Elmer

Mr. T Experience

there is entirely no reason in the world to ever do a tribute comp

Not true. I can think of two solid tribute comps: Bad Scene, Everyone's Fault (Jawbreaker tribute) and Homage (Descendents tribute).

i have no use for these types of things. dumbest things ever imo.

there is a .001% rate of decent cover songs in the entire musical canon. putting a bunch of crap covers in one place doesn't help.

I paid mechanical royalties on the Cure and Guns N Roses covers on the Fordirelifesake/Hewhocorrupts split I did. 8 cents per song per copy. 500 copies, $80 paid to ASCAP or BMI or whoever. However, the HWC GNR cover is on The Discographer, which I've never paid a cent on. CD plants don't care. NEither do Pirates Press. The FDLS Cure cover is on the CD Thorp put out but I doubt they paid royalties either.

Anyhow, I wouldn't try to get in touch with Dead Droid. Not only is the guy a tool, that label has been dead for like 5+ years.

As a side note, please don't press a tribute comp LP. It's just a waste of money. At this point, no self-respecting band is going to go into the studio to record a cover for a comp on an unknown label. You're gonna get stuck with a bunch of bands nobody has heard of butchering a bunch of songs. If you want to put out a record, put out something original.