Homemade posters. Potential slippery slope?

topher

A few months ago I was thumbing through that one thread on here where a super-cool VC'er was printing up homemade jackets for people who had test presses, or maybe a record with no artwork, or something that came in a plastic sleeve, etc, etc.

I really liked the idea, but I don't need any jackets printed up. But, what about posters? Obviously, if I wanted a poster printed up for say, some lame local band I'm in, or some lame movie I made, I can easily go on a site like VistaPrint and upload an image, have them print up a single poster, and mail it to my door.

But, what if I wanted to make a poster with someone else's design? Like, say I wanted a 24"x24" poster of Abbey Road's cover art as an example. I'm only interested in printing one, and I'm not selling it for a profit. Is a site like VistaPrint or a professional print shop going to frown on printing a copyrighted(?) design like that? Is this some form of bootlegging that I shouldn't be asking about?

It's just an idea I had, I may not even be that serious about it, but I sure as hell don't want to get caught up in some weird thing if I put a band's artwork on something without their permission, and that turns out to not be cool.

Thoughts, maybe?

I thought about doing some lyric art prints, but at the end of the day I don't own those lyrics and it would be wrong. Would I ever get in trouble for it? Probably not, there are thousands of lyric art prints on etsy, some get removed, some don't. But I wouldn't feel right making money off of someone else's creations.

If you are making one for yourself and you can find art large enough that doesn't look like shit, go nuts. A lot of print places aren't supposed to duplicate copyrighted material but the (probably) underpaid staff (probably) won't give a shit. 

Why you'd want to print a 24 x 24 of Abbey Road when you can buy a 32 x 24 for 6.99 is another question entirely. 

I thought about doing some lyric art prints, but at the end of the day I don't own those lyrics and it would be wrong. Would I ever get in trouble for it? Probably not, there are thousands of lyric art prints on etsy, some get removed, some don't. But I wouldn't feel right making money off of someone else's creations.

I can't use the telephone, to tell you that I"m dead or gone

phone on cord hanging down, hand just out of reach

so you won't know

Definitely can avoid lyrics and maybe potential lawsuit if you print the image in your mind represented from said lyrics.

one of the ones I really wanted to do was a girl with a knife in her hand sitting crosslegged on a grassy field, with a guys head in her lap, throat split open, and he's choking on blood saying "your shirt... i'm so sorry"

If you are making one for yourself and you can find art large enough that doesn't look like shit, go nuts. A lot of print places aren't supposed to duplicate copyrighted material but the (probably) underpaid staff (probably) won't give a shit.

Why you'd want to print a 24 x 24 of Abbey Road when you can buy a 32 x 24 for 6.99 is another question entirely.

Needs a cover for his bootleg 24" record

Not quite the same but for smaller pieces I've used the Kodak kiosks at target and had a bunch of stuff printed up. As was mentioned above you're not supposed to print copywrited work, but the staff doesn't care.

I have a whole universal monster's theme in my bathroom and most of the stuff I've hung up were images of things I found online and printed myself using those photo printers.